Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

4 weeks noticed required? Hope everyone's partner goes on their due date!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Feck, so I need to go in in person to get this card. Well that's a pain. As long as I get my 2 weeks though...

Don't understand that 4 week notice thing. Surely that's at the discretion of the employer and they aren't going to hold you to the exact date if you go early/late.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bacchus wrote: »
    Feck, so I need to go in in person to get this card. Well that's a pain. As long as I get my 2 weeks though...

Don't understand that 4 week notice thing. Surely that's at the discretion of the employer and they aren't going to hold you to the exact date if you go early/late.

Already cleared with my employer, they have a tentative date, giving some leeway considering these things dont always happen on time.

Thats just a general notice period really, and then obviously your employer getting the neccessary information over to Social

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

The notice thing is the same for maternity leave. Apparently it's to make sure that social welfare have enough time to process the payments once they get the paperwork from the employer.

Jesus, talk about backlog to get an appointment for a Public Services Card.

September 14th the earliest appointment I can get, two weeks before due date!

Can feel this being a big of a mess to be honest with delayed payments or some red tape bollox that will screw me over. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wexy86 wrote: »
    4 weeks noticed required? Hope everyone's partner goes on their due date!
    Ah, it's the same as maternity leave. If your partner goes early the notice requirement doesn't apply.

You'll see within the legislation references to "expected". Provided you give an honest amount of notice, the employer will be obliged to let you take the leave if your partner gives birth early.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Spook80

I thought changing from a social services card to a public services card would be fairly straightforward or maybe even be done by post.

Anyone know whether it's difficult to change or if it'd really cause problems with claiming paternity leave?
    My company issued there policy on it yesterday and are topping it up but there was no mention of a social services card.

Spook80 wrote: »
    I thought changing from a social services card to a public services card would be fairly straightforward or maybe even be done by post.

Anyone know whether it's difficult to change or if it'd really cause problems with claiming paternity leave?
    My company issued there policy on it yesterday and are topping it up but there was no mention of a social services card.

You need a Public Services Card, the old social welfare card not accepted according to a response I got from Welfare(raised a query with them as I have the old card)

You need to register with mywelfare.ie, and book an appointment to go to an office that provides the service in person. you just bring some basic documentation and they sort it out there. Assume the card then gets posted afterwards.

You can also apply online and do it through the post, figured I'd get it done in person to just get it done.

Few people in work mentioned issues with their children allowance being blocked when they slacked changing their card from social to public services a few years ago. So I'm assuming the same will happen, so just getting it done and dusted beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

TheDoc wrote: »
    You need a Public Services Card, the old social welfare card not accepted according to a response I got from Welfare(raised a query with them as I have the old card)

You need to register with mywelfare.ie, and book an appointment to go to an office that provides the service in person. you just bring some basic documentation and they sort it out there. Assume the card then gets posted afterwards.

You can also apply online and do it through the post, figured I'd get it done in person to just get it done.

Few people in work mentioned issues with their children allowance being blocked when they slacked changing their card from social to public services a few years ago. So I'm assuming the same will happen, so just getting it done and dusted beforehand.

rang them at lunch, asked could it be done online and she said no that you had to do it in person as they need to take your picture.

Looking for an appointment theres a wait of 6 weeks so going to chance my arm going in and pulling a ticket one of the mornings and take a halfer from work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

BKWDR wrote: »
    rang them at lunch, asked could it be done online and she said no that you had to do it in person as they need to take your picture.

Looking for an appointment theres a wait of 6 weeks so going to chance my arm going in and pulling a ticket one of the mornings and take a halfer from work

Thanks to this thread my man just made an appointment; if you are in Dublin the location in Ballymun does Wednesdays and thursdays and they have plenty of appointments open next week and the week after :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Quick question on this. it's seems obvious but want to be sure...

We're expecting our second child on 21st Septmber. I've got a pile of annual leave (26 days) that i'll lose if i don't take this year so I was hoping to take two weeks after the birth as annual leave and then take two weeks paternity leave early next year (within the first 6 months of the birth). Do i need to register before the birth or can i do it after the baby is born?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Harika

As I understood it, you need to give four weeks of notice, before you take paternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Got my husband to book this appointment too. The backlog must be crazy. As a woman due to take leave paid only at the social welfare date (i.e. No employer top up) do I need to get a card too

Quick question on this. it's seems obvious but want to be sure...

We're expecting our second child on 21st Septmber. I've got a pile of annual leave (26 days) that i'll lose if i don't take this year so I was hoping to take two weeks after the birth as annual leave and then take two weeks paternity leave early next year (within the first 6 months of the birth). Do i need to register before the birth or can i do it after the baby is born?

Well you need to provide 4 weeks notice before you plan to take the leave. To be honest that's kinda just obvious to give to any employer for any planned leave over a few days. But it's probably specific for this, to assist Social Welfare for what will be added administration.

I'd say your best getting everything sorted before the birth(Public service card, notice with employer etc) so there is no issues when it comes to taking the time off.

We will have enough to be dealing with, nevermind stressing over €€€ if things arn't done right

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Wexy86

Has anyone had any luck applying online on mywelfare? Not sure if it's just me that can't see the option or across the board. Have done the verify basic account etc
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Has anyone had any luck applying online on mywelfare? Not sure if it's just me that can't see the option or across the board. Have done the verify basic account etc
    Thanks

I can't even seem to verify the basic account on mygovid.ie. Been waiting about 2 weeks now for a verification code to be posted.

I guess applying online is the same as filling out the PB1 form.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

Thanks

I think it only started last night

Advertisement