Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelling Eircom (or Eir of whatever they call themselves now) Service

• 06-10-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

I rented an apartment a year ago and had eircoms efibre installed. Took about 6 weeks longer than it should due to incompetency on their behalf but eventually got it in earlier this year.

When I took it out I was talked into adding the TV package ("only an extra €10 a month and you can cancel anytime"). I knew I wouldn't be at the premises beyond 9 or 10 months of the contract but was willing to move the broadband service with me.

Called this morning to cancel:

a) They want €325 cancellation fee - I laughed.
    b) When I told them I could move the broadband to my home address but didn't want their diabolical tv service they advised I would have to pay €175 in this case to cancel the TV service I was told I could cancel for nothing.

I told them if that were the case I would just walk away from the contract and let them find me. I have asked for a manager to call me back and am waiting.

Really disappointed in eircom on this one. Unlike the majority of people who in my circumstances would just have walked away from the property and said nothing I was willing to stay with them as a broadband customer and continue to pay them the same for a service upto 100mbps that I can get 240mbps from UPC for the same price but they won't play ball. They also advised that once I moved this would start a new contract at the new address - joke.

So going to jump ship I think. Tried to do the decent thing but they don't want to listen. Great strategy with their new branding and Virgin coming into the market.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Eir reps have a sub forum here you know. You could make your points to them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

califano wrote: »
    Eir reps have a sub forum here you know. You could make your points to them and see what they say.

I really couldn't be bothered - still waiting for them to call me back from this morning. Have no interest in entering into some sort of negotiations with them over the net where the average response time is 33 hours.

I offered to remain on with them as a broadband customer (in an area of questionable bb performance) and they effectively turned me down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't you have been put in an 18 month contract?

If it were me, I'd move the whole lot to the new address and hold out for the inevitable price increase and chance to exit the contract.

Does moving house re contract you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wouldn't you have been put in an 18 month contract?

If it were me, I'd move the whole lot to the new address and hold out for the inevitable price increase and chance to exit the contract.

Does moving house re contract you though?

I was on an 18 month contract which I'm willing to honour but only the efibre as I was told I could drop the TV option at any time (which it turns out I can but at a cost of €175).

You are correct though - for some bizarre reason, once you move the service to a new address you start afresh with a new 18 month contract! This despite the fact that there is no set up cost (bar some admin) in them moving the service for your. Same equipment, no installation so no cost to eir.

Advertisement