Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snoring neighbour disturbing our sleep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    I don't not want to go down the earplugs route - what if a fire alarm etc goes off / or I get an emergency call?
    Then you will hear them. Ear plugs will deal with background noise, not alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Would you consider trying noise cancelling headphones?
    I think going down to have a chat with them might lead to bad feeling, and a landlord is not going to boot out a tenant for snoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

vagazzled wrote: »
    Would you consider trying noise cancelling headphones?
    That would block out the fire alarm and ringing phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I live in an apartment and wear earplugs most nights. They represent no danger whatever in terms of alarms. I certainly recommend trying them before you approach the neighbour in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Earplugs do not block out alarms etc. I'd suggest just to try them. If they work, great if not, not much else you can do.

If you own your place a thick deep pile carpet and underlay can be good for sound blocking.

Speak to your neighbour anyway. Chances are he doesn't know it upsets anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ear plugs suck when sleeping. can become very uncomfortable in the ear after a while. you probably would hear alarms though with them in. i use to hear or feel my phone alarm under my pillow with ear plugs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I do not suggest speaking to your neighbour. There is nothing he can reasonably be asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭SKETT

Just move if you're renting. I don't think there's a worse form of torture in life than sleep deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mkhall

Speaking to your neighbour probably won't be effective, he hardly snores that loud (or at all) on purpose and there is the possibility of embarrassing him. I find wax ear plugs really effective and im a pretty light sleeper, and as others have said they won't block out alarms and you can put your phone on vibrate. I would try the carpets as well..exhaust all your options before you think about moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

Try these, they are much more comfortable than normal earplugs. My former housemate used to keep me awake with his snoring, very upsetting, until I got a pack of these earplugs.

300.JPG

http://www.boots.ie/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-with-activ-aloe-3-pairs_39424/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

What is talking to the neighbour going to do?

"Oh sorry, I won't snore anymore so"

The action is really with you to drown it out.

Heavy snoring can be a sign of an underlying health condition (some of them potentially life threatening) so maybe he might end up going to the doctor and getting a potential health risk eliminated.

Oh and there are ways to prevent yourself from snoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

While it is a biological problem I do wonder if house rules come into play here.

In most apartment buildings you must keep the noise down after a certain time this includes music, tv etc. I do wonder if snoring would also qualify. I mean it is noise after all, just because the noise is being generated in a body makes it no less disturbing than if it was a speaker blasting out the DB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

traprunner wrote: »
    Same here. I find the 3m E-A-R Soft FX to be great. I buy them in a box of 200 pairs. They are rated for 39db. Alarms have a higher decibel level.

On a side note, where do you get these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

Good morning,

Hope you slept well ;-)

I am surprised about all the suggestions even to approach your neighbour the legal route.

It is him, who is snoring - approach him. Snoring and the resulting apnoea are a serious medical issue, where a CPAP mask and device will help.

This is my very personal experience. Anybody, who does not believe this, may ask my wife.

It is a delicate thing to approach your neighbour, but simply do it.

<ADDED>To explicitely point it out: the CPAP mask would be for your neighbour, not for your ears ;-)</ADDED>

Regards,
    Jörn.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

he could have sleep apnoea! I use quies wax ear plugs they are fantastic I worked night duty for years and they worked a treat. They dont drown out the louder sounds of alarms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

mkhall wrote: »
    Speaking to your neighbour probably won't be effective, he hardly snores that loud (or at all) on purpose and there is the possibility of embarrassing him. I find wax ear plugs really effective and im a pretty light sleeper, and as others have said they won't block out alarms and you can put your phone on vibrate. I would try the carpets as well..exhaust all your options before you think about moving.

This. I'm surprised at all the suggestions to tell the neighbour to change his ways rather than the OP trying to find a way to block the noise.

Plenty of people snore and your neighbour can't help it so he has a right to sleep without a mask or meds if he chooses. It is not always a sign of sleep apnoea, not that it's any of the OP's business.

It is up to the OP to block the noise out, and keep on good terms with the neighbour, not embarrass them.

If the neighbour was playing the radio all night or something like that which is easily remedied by volume control, then the OP would have a case to ask them to keep it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My OH snores like a tractor and I'm a fairly light sleeper. We tried lots of things but nothing worked and he doesn't have sleep apnoea.

I use Boots wax earplugs and they're great. I rarely hear him now but I'll still hear my alarm etc in the morning. It's just a case of getting used to them and I do feel your pain OP as there is nothing worse than broken sleep but earplugs are really the most obvious thing to try first before escalating it to the landlord or neighbour directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I slept with wax earplugs for years when I lived in Dublin. Like the OP it was an apartment in a Georgian house, very nice with high ceilings etc but very poor insulation. I was on the 1st floor and could hear noise from above and below.

I dated a snorer for almost a year and used to sleep with earplugs when I stayed over with him.

I never had any problems hearing the smoke alarm through earplugs. Luckily the fire alarm never went off while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Have the same issue and earplugs have not worked due to the pitch of the snoring - going to try some of the wax earplugs mentioned here. The white noise works to a point, depending on how bad he is (it varies night to night). I do sleep with iPod in but I don't especially like that. I couldn't come up with a way to approach the neighbour.

On a bad night I do get up to the loo and flush. Sometimes this disturbs him (crap noise insultaion goes both ways) enough that he must wake a bit or move, and snoring dissipates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

BOBIDGE wrote:
    It is a lovely apartment etc..but one issue - the apartment directly below us has a very very loud snorer. Some nights its very hard to get to sleep and sometimes its wakes me up in the middle of the night.

BOBIDGE wrote:
    Any advise on how to deal with this? Its getting to the stage where we may have to move due to lack of sleep.

Sound proof with carpet, it doesn't need to be fitted, deepest pile rug, there is no point blaming your snoring neighbours for poor sound proofing in apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

Oh come on, is it really a realistic option to approach the neighbour? Maybe I am just not that braisen but I could never consider knocking on someones door and telling them straight out that they snore so loud they are keeping me awake while they sleep in their own bed that they have every right to sleep in how they like. Think of the embarassment this could cause that poor neighbour. It is nobodys business if he has sleep apnea or not. Im sure he is not totally oblivious to the fact that he snores but sometimes theres very little people can do.

OP if I were in your situation I would be going down the earplus/white noise route and trying to remedy the situation from my end. After all, not everyone is affected by noise while sleeping and many deep sleepers can sleep through almost anything. There is a problem on both sides here that this keeps you awake. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Leaflets on Sleep Apnea in door/mailbox? Poster on wall in hall/at lift. Discrete as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ixus wrote:
    Leaflets on Sleep Apnea in door/mailbox? Poster on wall in hall/at lift. Discrete as possible.

That's not discreet, it's cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ixus wrote: »

And when he has a skip of pints and farts all night, or gets the hiccups, or has a cold, what then? The issue is the sound insulation, thats what needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant believe so many people can sleep with earplugs, Ive tried a load of brands and they're all useless to me, cant lie on your side or even turn your head to the side for one thing, itchy, then hot, then stinging, horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

Thanks for all the comments.

I don't understand why all the onus is on us to get earplugs / carpets etc when we are not causing the problem.

He must be aware of it as he has a 'lady friend' who stays over one / two nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

And when he has a skip of pints and farts all night, or gets the hiccups, or has a cold, what then? The issue is the sound insulation, thats what needs to be addressed.

I don't care about that, I can deal with all of the above.

But this is constant noise. Some nights I put the radio on and I don't think its a coincidence that very song as a snoring chorus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Thargor wrote: »
    Cant believe so many people can sleep with earplugs, Ive tried a load of brands and they're all useless to me, cant lie on your side or even turn your head to the side for one thing, itchy, then hot, then stinging, horrible.

Some brands seem to be slightly bigger than others. Also, there is a method for inserting them so they go in fully therefore not causing a problem sleeping on your side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Thargor wrote: »

I used to use wax earplugs. I am small so I would cut them in half and roll them between my fingers to soften them.

Advertisement