Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snoring neighbour disturbing our sleep

Options
13»

Comments

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments.

I don't understand why all the onus is on us to get earplugs / carpets etc when we are not causing the problem.

He must be aware of it as he has a 'lady friend' who stays over one / two nights a week.

What exactly do you want him to do though. Loads of people snore, I have friends that I refuse to share a room with on nights away and their partners wear ear plugs to sleep beside them. Some people just snore without any medical condition etc.

I'm not saying its not very annoying but its going to be a hard one to solve by saying anything to him. Its not as simple as turning down a tv or asking someone not to wear heels walking around etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Thargor wrote: »
    Cant believe so many people can sleep with earplugs, Ive tried a load of brands and they're all useless to me, cant lie on your side or even turn your head to the side for one thing, itchy, then hot, then stinging, horrible.

I warm the wax one up in my hand and then break it in two as I find them a bit too big. They work perfectly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I don't understand why all the onus is on us to get earplugs / carpets etc when we are not causing the problem.

He must be aware of it as he has a 'lady friend' who stays over one / two nights a week.
    I don't care about that, I can deal with all of the above.

But this is constant noise. Some nights I put the radio on and I don't think its a coincidence that very song as a snoring chorus!

He's not causing the problem either - the insulation is. If he wants to snore or hop about the bed all night its nothing to do with you. You clearly do not have proper sound insulation if you can hear him snoring, contact your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Omg OP, earplugs, use them! And if an alarm goes off believe me you will here that.

I'm guessing your apartement is lovely and don't want to move? I wouldn't move over this, unless you plan to spend the rest of your lives there, with the snorer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Because you're allowed to snore in your home and you have no right to approach him.

I don't know why you'd risk making an enemy of a neighbour who could easily make your sleeping a lot worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

OP, what exactly do you want this man to do? You seem to be less tha happy with suggestions that you need to do something about it yourselves so what realistically do you expect this man to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Here's a thought. It will work but will require a little getting used to.
    You need to drown out all other noise with white noise. A very loud fan will work. My ex was like that, couldn't sleep without a loud fan and I got used to it and continue to use it because I never hear anything and sleep like a log.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It might be a bit awkward telling someone they snore loudly, really loudly. I am not comfortable with earplug options.

I have started playing the radio throughout the night, so hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Isnt there a cure for snoring? A strip you wear across the nose or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

Thargor wrote: »
    Isnt there a cure for snoring? A strip you wear across the nose or something like that?

Yes but the OP has no right to tell her neighbour to use a nose strip IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Nose strips don't cure it either. It's not the nose that the snore is created in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It might be a bit awkward telling someone they snore loudly, really loudly. I am not comfortable with earplug options.

I have started playing the radio throughout the night, so hopefully that will help.

I dont understand what you're doing with the radio? Are you trying to get back at him? How come snoring keeps you awake but the radio doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I dont understand what you're doing with the radio? Are you trying to get back at him? How come snoring keeps you awake but the radio doesn't?

The radio is a good idea. No matter what noise is going outside, I can always sleep really well when the radio is on. My one switches off itself after an hour and I'm well asleep by then.

The radio is on a very very low volume - it's a distraction for me from the snoring.

Believe me, he snores through it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The radio is very very low and it is a distraction for me from the snoring.

Believe me it does not disrupt him, he snores through it!

So expect a complaint from his land lord to you about a radio playing at unreasonable hours?

So expect a complaint from his land lord to you about a radio playing at unreasonable hours?

I can barely hear it and it's right beside the bed, so hardly!

Advertisement