Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Lessons for Tri beginner

Options
  • 06-10-2015 3:08pm

I'm really sorry if this is somewhere else in the forum which is glaringly obvious, I did try to search but couldn't find it.

I hope this is the right place, I know there is a swimming forum too and if I should have posted there then I can do that no prob.

I'm looking for information on swimming lessons in South Dublin with a view to doing a Triathlon next summer. I can "swim" in that I can get from one end of a pool to the other but that's about it.

Should I start with basic lessons first and work my way up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm really sorry if this is somewhere else in the forum which is glaringly obvious, I did try to search but couldn't find it.

I hope this is the right place, I know there is a swimming forum too and if I should have posted there then I can do that no prob.

I'm looking for information on swimming lessons in South Dublin with a view to doing a Triathlon next summer. I can "swim" in that I can get from one end of a pool to the other but that's about it.

Should I start with basic lessons first and work my way up?

Ignore triathlon lessons, get basic swimming lessons and go from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

if can already swim a bit you would be surprised what you can do yourself.

Check out a few online videos and put it into practice in a safe pool environment.

I was a poor swimmer but seeing improvements every year since I took up tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Check out the swimming thread Kurt Gobel setup. Its really good and gives you some focus in the pool instead of swimming endless lengths.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057321888

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm starting "improvers" lessons in two weeks in the community leisure centre. Will start making plans for the coming year over the next while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Vincepl

Have you asked them what the plan is for the improvers lessons?

Having done "improver lessons" in the community pool a couple of years back I found them a complete waste of time from a triathlon point of view.

The first three weeks were freestyle but the rest consisted of improving breast stroke and back stroke which hopefully you will never use in a triathlon.

You might be better off spending the money on a few one to one sessions which focus specifically on your freestyle stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Vincepl wrote: »
    Have you asked them what the plan is for the improvers lessons?

Having done "improver lessons" in the community pool a couple of years back I found them a complete waste of time from a triathlon point of view.

The first three weeks were freestyle but the rest consisted of improving breast stroke and back stroke which hopefully you will never use in a triathlon.

You might be better off spending the money on a few one to one sessions which focus specifically on your freestyle stroke.

Agree that breast stroke and back stroke are not something you will use in tri. However they both teach very important parts of the stroke. The breast stroke can help with the catch and pull of freestyle and backstroke rotation.

At the moment, the only thing I can do is a weak breast stroke, I don't know how to breathe properly or any of those things!

It's a 5 lessons for €55 and then there is an advance course too that I could jump straight into at the end of that, I'm not sure what either entail, I'd just like to feel a little more confident in the water first I guess.

I don't honestly know where to begin, I have some provisional goals for the coming year and so I need to get swimming down in order to achieve those.

Would it be an idea to do the 5 week course and then get some tri specific lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

At the moment, the only thing I can do is a weak breast stroke, I don't know how to breathe properly or any of those things!

It's a 5 lessons for €55 and then there is an advance course too that I could jump straight into at the end of that, I'm not sure what either entail, I'd just like to feel a little more confident in the water first I guess.

I don't honestly know where to begin, I have some provisional goals for the coming year and so I need to get swimming down in order to achieve those.

Would it be an idea to do the 5 week course and then get some tri specific lessons?

Forget about tri specific lessons for the moment- in fact you can't swim, if a weak breast stroke is all you do*. Its good that you can float in the water, but you have a long way to go before you say you can swim.

Beginner lessons are what you need, teaching the very basics of breathing and stroke. That would hopefully include front crawl, breast stroke, and back stroke, perhaps after a while of getting a feel for the water and getting comfortable in it. Depending on how you get on with the basic fundamentals, will determine just how advanced you can get. Its a long way off before you do any Tri-specific or Open Water stuff, but you are looking to get better at the right time of the year so there is plenty of time.

*in case anyone takes offence at this notion; cram it. Teaching the basic fundamentals at the start is worth a thousand "you can do it!"'s. Floating downstream in a wetsuit without having put in the work is the quickest way to tick a box having a lousy race experience.

No offence whatsoever Kurt, I'm here for advice and happy to take it from those who know best - and besides, you're right, I float :D

No offence whatsoever Kurt, I'm here for advice and happy to take it from those who know best - and besides, you're right, I float :D

It wasn't directed at you TBH, you are doing all right things. Asking the right questions at the right time of year, you want to learn to swim before entering Tri's. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Um....do people enter Tris before they can swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Um....do people enter Tris before they can swim?

Good God yes, far too many; and it's a sore point around here. Organisers may end up skewing their safety concerns towards people who should have put in the training rather than relying on a wetsuit to bob their way along a course.

Oh right.

Maybe I should just do that then, be easier than learning how to swim like. Effort of it tbh.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Oh right.

Maybe I should just do that then, be easier than learning how to swim like. Effort of it tbh.

:P

That's the spirit! Sounds like you're ready for Ironman 70.3 Dublin 2016!

OK; joking, chill out everyone...

Wouldn't mind considering it in 2017 though tbh!

I'll get my first marathon out of the way next week though and see how that goes, I may never want to run again :D

OK so I just called another leisure centre there, and they actually do pay as you go lessons, you show up, get assessed, and the instructor goes from there with you.

No harm in giving them a shot I guess, nothing much to lose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

OK so I just called another leisure centre there, and they actually do pay as you go lessons, you show up, get assessed, and the instructor goes from there with you.

No harm in giving them a shot I guess, nothing much to lose :)

I could be wrong, but I imagine these lessons are basically lane swimming, whereby each lane is given times to swim 100s, etc. off. The assessment is probably no more than after seeing you swim, being told by the coach to what lane you belong. These sessions can be useful, but there is an assumption that those turning up are able to swim. The way you describe your abilities, you need far more individual instruction than could be provided at such a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

zico10 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I imagine these lessons are basically lane swimming, whereby each lane is given times to swim 100s, etc. off. The assessment is probably no more than after seeing you swim, being told by the coach to what lane you belong. These sessions can be useful, but there is an assumption that those turning up are able to swim. The way you describe your abilities, you need far more individual instruction than could be provided at such a session.

Just my two cents but if the South Dublin leisure centre whoopsadaisydoodles called is a dlr one then it's one to one coaching for all levels. I use the pool occasionally and see all types from complete beginners to capable swimmers being coached in these sessions. It's one lane, by yourself with whatever aids you might need. I doubt they'll make you into a shark but it'll be a good starting point and you can move onto coached lane swimming later on

Yep - DLR Leisure centre :)

Sure I can give one lesson a go a see how I get on, it's worth €11 to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I started 3 years ago with 5 lessons in DLR, gave me the basics which I was able to build on and then able to join the back of a masters lane.
    Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Just to update. Went to my first lesson tonight.

Was asked if I was a beginner or an improver, as there were some people there who weren't even comfortable in the water, I said somewhere in between and that I could get from one end of the pool to the other but that was it. I was then asked if I wanted to do front crawl or breast stroke and I said front crawl. I was told to go to the deep end of the pool. We were all told to do a couple of widths front crawl, so I had to go "eerrr, I don't know how to do that" so I was sent back to beginners :pac:

The beginners teacher showed me very briefly how to to a front crawl and told me to do a few widths, I was a bit lost here because she was busy looking after people who couldn't float.

So I kept at it for a few minutes and the improver a guy came and got me and said that I was able to do a front crawl and to come back to his group :pac:

After that it was pretty good, I'm not as god awful as I thought I was, I mean - I'm pretty awful - but I can float better than I thought at least and the guy was quite good. There was six of us in the class and he gave all of us attention.

I can't believe how hard it is on the lungs, I was out of breath a lot at the start, like proper huffing and puffing like I'd never done a day's exercise in my life!

I'll stick with them for a while to get used to being in the water, I've a long long loooooong way to go but it'll give me a good start at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

I can't believe how hard it is on the lungs, I was out of breath a lot at the start, like proper huffing and puffing like I'd never done a day's exercise in my life!

I am sure other more experience people will come here and give you more advice, but getting your breathing right is paramount for success in swimming. One thing you should try it's relax as much as possible, and do not hold your breath!!! Try to blow air all the time (either through your nose or your mouth) while your head is under the water, very slowly, and you will be amazed at how much you can last without having to move your head to breath in!

Best of luck wit it!!!

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    I am sure other more experience people will come here and give you more advice, but getting your breathing right is paramount for success in swimming. One thing you should try it's relax as much as possible, and do not hold your breath!!! Try to blow air all the time (either through your nose or your mouth) while your head is under the water, very slowly, and you will be amazed at how much you can last without having to move your head to breath in!

Best of luck wit it!!!

Yep definitely. I was holding my breath at the beginning and then trying to breath in when I stuck my head out of the water :rolleyes:

By the end of it I was less out of breath as I had figured out to blow lots of bubbles! I like bubbles :P

I've a good six months before the try a tri I was thinking of aiming for, is it realistic to think I could get someway up to speed in this time?

I have absolutely zero idea about swimming, none whatsoever, so am I mad to even think I can go from 0-Tri in six months or is that perfectly reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Is it an indoor or outdoor swim and what's the distane?

Generally I would think yep it would be do-able, but it will need work. Need to be swimming more than once a week (3 times would be preferable really) and work hard but no reason you couldn't do a 500m open water swim in 6 months if the work is put in. Open water swimming is about more than just your swimming ability though, it's about how you manage the cold, the people around you and for some people the fear of swimming outdoors. Plenty of time to get practice in though and if your comfortable and confident in the pool it's just a matter of getting some practice in in open water before the event.

The try a tri I'm looking at is 250 metre river swim. (Try Athy).

I don't think the cold will be much of an issue, I've no problem getting into the sea at most times of the year. Just that when I get there I can't go anywhere else :D

I'm lucky enough to live by the sea so I'll find someone experienced to take me out in the water later on when I can actually swim.

Three times a week at 30 minutes a pop or would more be necessary? I'm just conscious of keeping up my running schedule too which will always be my priority but as long as I know what's required I will plan for it.

Thanks for all the advice, it has been great so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

3 times at 30 mins a week would be good I'd say. Help you keep the feel for the water. Knowing that race I'd say you will be grand. It's short, has a bit of a current behind you and any time I've swam in it there is plenty of places you can stand if you need. Good to get the training and lessons done though, you don't want your swim to be limiting what you can do if you enjoy your first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The try a tri I'm looking at is 250 metre river swim. (Try Athy).

Honestly you could float down that swing at that try a tri. I've seen people walking believe it or not.

You've loads of time if you're only aim is this distance you won't really need to swim 3 times/week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'd say aim higher! Try by over in a few minutes and you'll be saying I could have done more

I have absolutely zero idea about swimming, none whatsoever, so am I mad to even think I can go from 0-Tri in six months or is that perfectly reasonable?

To be honest it just sounds like you want to tick a box (and probably move onto something else then?). You'll be able to do Tri-athy without any swimming lessons at all- just buy a cheap wetsuit and walk down the side of the river back (lots do). Then any old bike to get around the course (has to be roadworthy and you'll need a helmet though), a jog home, and you're a triathlete. Its not hard or difficult at all.

If you really want to learn to swim, and you've got zero idea about swimming, you'd probably learn more by asking the coaches to put you back in the beginner group, and learning breathing fundamentals first. You'll learn more in the long run and won't start off compounding basic mistakes.

• Advertisement

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    To be honest it just sounds like you want to tick a box (and probably move onto something else then?).

Not sure what gave you that impression, I ran 5km before I did a marathon, so I don't intend jumping into an ironman without learning the basics and doing a Try first. I have a very serious 2 year plan but I need to - eh - learn to walk before I can run I guess...

Running is my first love, and improving my running times is my main priority. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a first love within the Tri disciplines?

If I was doing it to tick a box, I could, as has been mentioned, walk up the river and jump on a bike. I'm here asking for advice on swimming lessons, because I want advice on swimming lessons.

Starting from mid April I will have someone to swim in open water with, which will be fantastic.

Advertisement