Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Week 5 Thread

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

JCTO wrote: »
    Makes all Pats fans. I was talking post Brady obviously not Brady out Cutler in.

Ya I know you were.

Tell you what, we'll throw in his contract as well, to sweeten the deal.

Better still, how about you stop smoking whatever you are smoking......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Tell you what, we'll throw in his contract as well, to sweeten the deal.

Tell you what we will give you a can of coke and a pack of tayto for him and a 1st round draft pick in 2065

Tell you what we will give you a can of coke and a pack of tayto for him and a 1st round draft pick in 2065

Tbh, I think you're being a bit overly generous with that offer.

113 year old Bill Belichcick will still be collecting draft picks at that point. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Honestly though, I agree with JCTO in essence. Cutler has always had massive potential, and with the right coaching, such as he's getting at the moment, he can be a very exciting guy to watch. I don't think he'll ever not be making the mistakes, but to see the performance he put in yesterday, throwing for the most part to receivers he probably barely knows himself, bodes extremely well. For a team that was essentially being measured up as the laughing stock of the league a couple of weeks ago, the Bears with a healthy Cutler and a D that is staggeringly good for one that just switched to a 3-4 and is largely regarded as having a massive talent deficit, will be one that no team can take for granted. It will probably only mean that we don't get to the playoffs again and end up with a lower draft pick, but at least this time the improvements are largely coming from younger players showing huge potential.

And Cutty. Who doesn't care what you think.

Better still, how about you stop smoking whatever you are smoking......:pac:

HaveANiceJay400w_large.jpg?v=1369504764

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No idea where you are going with this as it was never implied.

I just don't see them being too fond of a gunslinger type, with BBs aversion to unnecessary risks and poor judgement that you see fro Cutler and the gunslinger type all too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Jay will always be Jay. Regardless of coach etc. he is always one game away from throwing multiple picks to me. Way too many fumbles also.

He has more heart than most give him credit for and has orchestrated a lot of 4th quarter comebacks. But then he throws a pick like the one against Buffalo last year (hits the Dlineman in the belly)

He should never have taken that sack on the fumble TD yesterday - just fling it away ffs. He leaves you in awe both positively & negatively at times. Every time I see progress he does something dumb to frustrate me.

Two nice comeback wins in the last 2 weeks - so I'll just enjoy that (while it lasts).

Who knows what might of happened with a good Oline and OC when he first came to Chicago but he is beaten and broken at this stage.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I just don't see them being too fond of a gunslinger type, with BBs aversion to unnecessary risks and poor judgement that you see fro Cutler and the gunslinger type all too often.

Look at Dan Marino and Brett Favre two of the best Gunslingers in the business. When you protect them and build around them and give them the right options you can make them effective QBs. If you give a gunslinger no option but to take risks they are going to work on pure poor judgement alone and look awful doing so. If after Brady the Patriots continue to have guys like Edelman and Gronk and a solid Oline a guy like Cutler could be elevated to look good and make less bad decisions. Of course it will take a lot of hard work to iron out some of the kinks but a solid coach like Bill could do it especially with a guy like Cutler who has ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Paully I do agree with you here. I just wanted to add it into the mix discussion wise when i came across it. I don't think Trestman has been the problem so far for the Ravens - that's clearly been the defence.

Does Ozzie have to take some blame too? Even if Perriman had been fit that's a very poor receiving core. Where is Maxx Williams? 8 balls caught from a 2nd round TE?

They let McPhee walk (now catching up with them with no Suggs) who's been beasting for us and was ranked top OLB by PFF before this week. I assume this was solely a cap issue but again that's on the GM.

Again there seems a lot of money tied up in CB's yet they don't seem to be producing much - McCown had a field day!

However I think Trestman will become an issue - you'll gradually see more short to intermediate stuff and his teams have never run the ball particularly well. The Ravens rushing stats still look ok from a quick glance but I wonder if the pass to run ratio has changed much?

It was an interesting article, thanks for posting.

Ozzie absolutely has to take some of the blame IMO. He has gained a well-earned reputation as one of the best drafters in the business, but our drafts from 2010-2013 were largely very, very poor and ultimately we're starting to pay the price for those drafts now. 2014 looks to have been heading back towards usual (Mosley, Jernigan and Gillmore in rounds 1, 2 and 3) but the Ravens as a whole have certainly had a few down years in terms of drafts.

Keeping McPhee would have been nice but at the end of the day he only played half of the Ravens snaps last year and it was going to be the same situation this year with Dumervil and Suggs ahead of him. He commanded a deal of $40m/5 and deserved it but I think it's fair that the Ravens saw him as a bit of a luxury that they couldn't afford to keep with their cap situation and other pressing needs. The same as Kruger, Ellerbe and Jones in recent years.

The CB situation is a nightmare. Jimmy Smith had been excellent over the last couple of years until his foot injury in November 2014, I think the Ravens did the right thing in locking him up as the secondary is a huge issue and Smith was playing to a pro-bowl standard, he also would have been a free agent this offseason, but he just hasn't recovered as well as was hoped/expected. I hope he's still playing hurt because I dread to think of the alternative. Ladarius Webb took a gigantic leap in 2011, was rightfully given an extension but did his ACL at the beginning of 2012 and just can't stay fit since. I think the Ravens have been pretty unlucky with those 2 deals but they are a big strain on the cap and I wouldn't write Smith off yet to be honest. I'd be astonished if Webb doesn't get cut after this season though as it'd give Baltimore $6m in cap room. It's a no-brainer really.

Thanks for the post paully, just surprised they didn't want to/couldn't keep the ascending (and younger) player in McPhee. I thought they'd have found a way but I guess there just wasn't the cap room.

Seems mad that you's have Mosley, Brandon Williams and Jernigan on rookies deals playing big parts, couldn't resign McPhee yet still can't afford any wide receivers.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the post paully, just surprised they didn't want to/couldn't keep the ascending (and younger) player in McPhee. I thought they'd have found a way but I guess there just wasn't the cap room.

Seems mad that you's have Mosley, Brandon Williams and Jernigan on rookies deals playing big parts, couldn't resign McPhee yet still can't afford any wide receivers.

Yeah, in one way it definitely could have been managed a bit better no doubt about it - for example Jacoby Jones was cut but they only saved $750,000 against the cap by doing so (and took $2.6m in dead space) and now Baltimore could do with him even though he was nothing at all special, but in another way they've been strangled in ways they can't do anything about - for example a certain Mr. Rice counts $9.5m against the cap this year but obviously there's no return on the field.

Unbelievably, Rice's cap hit is the 3rd largest on the entire roster this year after Flacco and Webb! Rice and Jones are obviously not on the roster any more but yet take up over 8% of our cap space this season.

If there was no Ray Rice hit, then you're looking at an extra $9.5m to spend this year and there's no doubt in my mind that the Ravens would be much stronger for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Look at Dan Marino and Brett Favre two of the best Gunslingers in the business. When you protect them and build around them and give them the right options you can make them effective QBs. If you give a gunslinger no option but to take risks they are going to work on pure poor judgement alone and look awful doing so. If after Brady the Patriots continue to have guys like Edelman and Gronk and a solid Oline a guy like Cutler could be elevated to look good and make less bad decisions. Of course it will take a lot of hard work to iron out some of the kinks but a solid coach like Bill could do it especially with a guy like Cutler who has ability.

Ah, in that case I see where you are coming from. Though with Cutler in particular I think he is just a bit too prone to 'WTF?' moments for Belichick to cope with as Favre was more prone than Marino for example. Maybe if they had got him as a rookie, or even when he moved from Denver (all moot due to Brady of course) but at this stage Cutler just strikes me as being very set in his bad habits. Maybe a little bit like David Carr never got over being a jittery mess after his first few years in Houston, as a not-too-great-but-best-I-could-think-of-off-the-top-of-my-head comparison. I just feel the bad habits are far tougher to get out of QBs than other positions.

What a return for Antonio Gates as he becomes only the 2nd TE to join the 100 TD club.

Fantastic audible from Rivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Not much point in Vick even playing tonight. They have no confidence in him at all.

That was the only way the Steelers would score. Nice return to be fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Don't think Vick has made it beyond halfway more than once for the field goal..

Wow. Just wow. No offense whatsoever until the 4th quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Some finish to the game.
    Completely awful until that 4th quarter.

Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah, in one way it definitely could have been managed a bit better no doubt about it - for example Jacoby Jones was cut but they only saved $750,000 against the cap by doing so (and took $2.6m in dead space) and now Baltimore could do with him even though he was nothing at all special, but in another way they've been strangled in ways they can't do anything about - for example a certain Mr. Rice counts $9.5m against the cap this year but obviously there's no return on the field.

Unbelievably, Rice's cap hit is the 3rd largest on the entire roster this year after Flacco and Webb! Rice and Jones are obviously not on the roster any more but yet take up over 8% of our cap space this season.

If there was no Ray Rice hit, then you're looking at an extra $9.5m to spend this year and there's no doubt in my mind that the Ravens would be much stronger for it.

Knew something didn't stack up in my mind and it's Rice of course. Ouch! Hard to lose 6.5% of your cap for no return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Didn't watch the game but I'm delighted for Vick, will wait to watch it before commenting on performance etc but was pleasantly surprised to wake up to the scoreline :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Very exciting final quarter. It is rare I drift off watching condensed games, but I did a few times in Q1 to Q3.

That final drive (particularly Vick's run) was sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

D9Male wrote: »
    38-25 coming into this week.

Colts @ Texans
    Bills @ Titans
    Bears @ Chiefs
    Browns @ Ravens
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers
    Saints @ Eagles
    Rams @ Packers
    Redskins @ Falcons
    Seahawks @ Bengals
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Patriots @ Cowboys
    Broncos @ Raiders
    49ers @ Giants
    Steelers @ Chargers

11-3 on week.

Up to 49-28 overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Knex. wrote: »
    43-20 thus far.

Colts @ Texans 0-1
    Bills @ Titans 0-2
    Bears @ Chiefs 0-3
    Browns @ Ravens 0-4
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers 1-4
    Saints @ Eagles 2-4
    Rams @ Packers 3-4
    Redskins @ Falcons 4-4
    Seahawks @ Bengals 5-4
    Cardinals @ Lions 6-4
    Patriots @ Cowboys 7-4
    Broncos@ Raiders 8-4
    49ers @ Giants 9-4
    Steelers @ Chargers 9-5

Loads of tough games to choose there, I feel. Wouldn't surprise me to finish negative this week.

Well, as I predicted, didn't do great.

52-25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    35-28 going in..

Colts @ Texans
    Bills @ Titans
    Bears @ Chiefs
    Browns @ Ravens
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers
    Saints @ Eagles
    Rams @ Packers
    Redskins @ Falcons
    Seahawks @ Bengals
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Patriots @ Cowboys
    Broncos@ Raiders
    49ers @ Giants
    Steelers @ Chargers

9-5 for the week, lot of close games.

44- 33 overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

39-24 overall

Colts @ Texans
    Bills @ Titans
    Bears @ Chiefs
    Browns @ Ravens
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers
    Saints @ Eagles
    Rams @ Packers
    Redskins @ Falcons
    Seahawks @ Bengals
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Patriots @ Cowboys
    Broncos @ Raiders
    49ers @ Giants
    Steelers @ Chargers

11-3

50-27 over all

Paully D wrote: »
    Colts @ Texans
    Bills @ Titans
    Bears @ Chiefs
    Ravens
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers
    Saints @ Eagles
    Rams @ Packers
    Redskins @ Falcons
    Seahawks @ Bengals
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Patriots @ Cowboys
    Broncos @ Raiders
    49ers @ Giants
    Steelers @ Chargers

EDIT - changing the Colts pick to the Texans due to the news that Andrew Luck is out.

9-5 this week, not great.

52-25 overall.

38-25 going in

Colts @ Texans
    Bills @ Titans
    Bears @ Chiefs
    Browns @ Ravens
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers
    Saints @ Eagles
    Rams @ Packers
    Redskins @ Falcons
    Seahawks @ Bengals
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Patriots @ Cowboys
    Broncos@ Raiders
    49ers @ Giants
    Steelers @ Chargers
    Ok I'm switching, the Colts to run out of Luck at long last (sorry)

What a genius I am. Made two changes to my predictions, both wrong. Leaving me with a woeful 8-6 on the week and 44-31 on the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Didn't watch the game but I'm delighted for Vick, will wait to watch it before commenting on performance etc but was pleasantly surprised to wake up to the scoreline :)

From a Vick/Steelers perspective, skip the first 52 minutes...though the defence is doing much better than everyone thought pre-season and kept them in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

paulie21 wrote: »
    Colts @ Texans
    Bills @ Titans
    Bears @ Chiefs
    Browns @ Ravens
    Jaguars @ Buccaneers
    Saints @ Eagles
    Rams @ Packers
    Falcons
    Seahawks @ Bengals