Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a Private A & E Hospital ?

Options
  • 06-10-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

just wondering if there are Private A&E's in Dublin?

I mean a Hospital you can go to and not have to wait hours upon hours to be seen in the case of an Emergency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CharlieQ

Hi,

The Hermitage in Lucan has a Private A&E Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi All,

just wondering if there are Private A&E's in Dublin?

I mean a Hospital you can go to and not have to wait hours upon hours to be seen in the case of an Emergency.

Both Beacon Hospital and Blackrock Clinic have A & E but not 24/7.

Also VHI Swiftcare in Dundrum (not sure if non VHI subscribers can use it.) That is 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Beacon has one and so does Blackrock I think. They're not open at night though. The Beacon is excellent. We were in and out in about an hour.

VHI clinics are also great depending on the issue. They're in Swords and Dundrum, not sure if they're anywhere else. They're open 8am to 10pm all year round. Anyone can use them, not just VHI customers.

The Beacon has one and so does Blackrock I think. They're not open at night though. The Beacon is excellent. We were in and out in about an hour.

VHI clinics are also great depending on the issue. They're in Swords and Dundrum, not sure if they're anywhere else. They're open 8am to 10pm all year round. Anyone can use them, not just VHI customers.

I thought VHI Swiftcare in Dundrum offered 365/24/7.

Must check.

First Up wrote: »
    I thought VHI Swiftcare in Dundrum offered 365/24/7.

Must check.

Not sure, I've only been to Swords. I just checked on the Swiftcare website quickly before I posted.

• Advertisement

Not sure, I've only been to Swords. I just checked on the Swiftcare website quickly before I posted.

Yeah, Dundrum is 365 but only 08.00 - 22.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've Aviva medical insurance. Company pays for it.. costs about 1400/year and just wanted to know.. if in an emergency where I could go myself or take my child.

Tallaght / James etc all have horrible waiting times.

Does Mater private have an A&E ?

I've been the Hermitage didn't know they had an A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Depending on the issue, some of those private 'A&E's will not accept you in and will direct you straight to a normal A&E.... like cardiac / chest pain, serious headaches, severe stomach pain, severe burns etc...

Swiftcare and the like are really only for minor injuries and very non life threatening.

If you have an emergency, ring an ambulance - you'll be treated straight away if you require it.
    Long waiting times are only for minor injuries mostly. IF you can afford it, go to the private ones to be looked after quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How old is the child? You could be better off going straight to Crumlin or a different kids hospital. It's a triage system so if it's serious they'll go straight in

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Swiftcare and the like are really only for minor injuries and very non life threatening.

Yep, but they're great in that situation. We went there and they thought it was something more serious (it wasn't) so they sent us to public A&E. There were several people in public A&E that could have gone to a VHI clinic to be seen (foot injuries etc) if they'd known about it and been seen a hell of a lot quicker. One of them was there for 7 hours and only needed to be seen by a doctor for 15 minutes in the end.

• Advertisement

Yep, but they're great in that situation. We went there and they thought it was something more serious (it wasn't) so they sent us to public A&E. There were several people in public A&E that could have gone to a VHI clinic to be seen (foot injuries etc) if they'd known about it and been seen a hell of a lot quicker. One of them was there for 7 hours and only needed to be seen by a doctor for 15 minutes in the end.

I agree, but a lot of people simply can't afford the VHI / private option.
    VHI is €125 just to be seen by a doc! And that's before any scans etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

There is a small A&E in the Hermitage, 8am - 5pm, but as the previous poster has said, if it's a major problem they will direct you to a full hospital.

http://www.hermitageclinic.ie/services-specialities/clinical-departments/emergency-department/

He's only a baby, 10 weeks old.. and we would go to Crumlin or Temple Street as he has Doctors in both places... this came from a chat in the office today.. we all have this medical insurance for years now and we don't know a lot about it.. so I decided to ask about A&E here as I was interested to find out..

We've sent an email to HR with more detailed questions.

Thanks for the replies.

He's only a baby, 10 weeks old.. and we would go to Crumlin or Temple Street as he has Doctors in both places... this came from a chat in the office today.. we all have this medical insurance for years now and we don't know a lot about it.. so I decided to ask about A&E here as I was interested to find out..

Thanks for the replies.

I'd reckon a baby with any sort of trouble would be triaged pretty quickly.
    At least I'd hope so.
    Best of luck and good health to the little one. Hopefully you won't need it :)

Thanks for the replies.

It depends on your insurance plan but both Beacon and Blackrock accept health insurance. They run extensive radio ads promoting it.

Not much point telling us!

Suggest you check with the hospitals themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The mater public have a clinic in Smithfield and mater private in Eccles st have an a&e.

For kids crumlin , temple st and tallaght are the only options.
    I generally find traige in Temple st quick.
    At weekends try get in early. People have a lie in and its only when the kids are up that most things happen.

I would assume that the private hospital a&e wouldn't turn away a kid in an emergency if it's closest, even if it was just to get stabilised. But the paediatric skills are in the childrens hospitals.
    Had a case it the mater private when I was in that a patient had his operation bumped as someone walked in off the street with a heart attack and needed emergency surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm pretty sure the private a&e's wouldn't see a small child that young. They'd probably see an older child with a limb injury but anything else would be sent to one of the paed a&e's (Crumlin, Temple St. and Tallaght in Dublin's case).

Babies would definitely be triaged quite quickly. I'm sure your health insurance would cover the €100 charge for the kids a&e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Babies aren't triaged any quicker than bigger kids.

Temple St A&E tends to be the first port of call for some people rather than GP, hence it's busier. It's also tiny and hasn't changed much since the day it was opened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,456 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oh god, please tell me we re not going down this road of privatising our whole healthcare system!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh god, please tell me we re not going down this road of privatising our whole healthcare system!

Don't think god is likely to reply so you will have to settle for someone else telling you.

But why do you need to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,456 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

First Up wrote: »
    Don't think god is likely to reply so you will have to settle for someone else telling you.

But why do you need to ask?

im willing to wait for gods response.

privatisation of a healthcare system!!! how not to run a society!

im willing to wait for gods response.

Who has said anything about privatisation of the health system?

Or do you just object to the availability of private medical facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I would assume that the private hospital a&e wouldn't turn away a kid in an emergency if it's closest, even if it was just to get stabilised. But the paediatric skills are in the childrens hospitals.

+1

We brought my (then) 18 month old daughter to Swiftcare Dundrum thinking she was choking. It turns out she was having an allergic reaction but we didn't realise at the time. The staff said she was too young to treat, immediately called an ambulance and stabilised and monitored her while we were waiting. Unfortunately we then had to wait two hours to see a doctor by which time her reaction has subsided and the doctor had no idea what had happened and could provide no suggestions about how to avoid it in future.

The reality is that the state extracts huge amounts of money from the slightly better off in society and provides very little in return. It's not surprising then, that there's a market for providing the same services in a less pathetic fashion to those who can afford them.

Of course we'd all love high-quality public healthcare but something is fundamentally wrong with the way we finance and provide state services so we as a country are totally unable to achieve that. Until that changes, people who can afford it are going to pay to get better services.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'd reckon a baby with any sort of trouble would be triaged pretty quickly.
    At least I'd hope so.
    Best of luck and good health to the little one. Hopefully you won't need it :)

Our was, she stopped breathing briefly at 3 weeks. She was seen straight away and I couldn't have flawed the service one bit.
    She had a variation of the whopping cough and was kept in for a week , she's all good now.

Advertisement