Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitten spooked by wasp, won't calm down

• 06-10-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Our kitten Ripley got spooked by a wasp earlier. She had been trying to chase it, but then I think it buzzed in her face and she started hissing and ran away. We've checked her for stings but I can't see anything.

That was this morning, for the rest of the day she's been running around hissing at everything, and just generally seems on edge and a bit scared. She's also been very clingy to us.

When we gave her lunch she wouldn't stay in the room (where the incident happened) and just darted out without eating. She would usually eat at 12 but it's nearly 5 now and she still isn't interested.

Is there anyway I can try and calm her down? has anyone else's cat ever done anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I'm no expert but I suspect she might have been stung, you wouldn't necessarily see anything but she will have felt it. Everything's new to her and she probably got a big fright but I'd be very surprised if she's not back to herself again by the morning. If she's still out of sorts and you're really worried, the vet is the best next step. Good luck, hope she's OK soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Wasps dont leave a sting in, that you can see - thats bees...
    Poor little thing probably was stung - can be very painful - but if you see no swelling or any other signs of reaction/allergy, she is probably ok today?
    One of my dogs got stung on his face a long time ago - it swelled up hugely, so off to the vet - he didnt learn his lesson, and still goes nuts when a wasp comes in to the house :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

So I finally managed to get her to eat last night by sitting at the food bowl with her!

She is still quite clingy today but definitely not scared anymore. She's playing and jumping about.

Still not sure if she got stung, we didn't notice her licking herself anymore than usual or limping (as if her foot had been stung).

But thankfully she seems fine today if just a bit clingy, but I love cuddles so that's ok!

Thanks for the replies, it was just a bit worrying seeing her behave so differently. When she finally ate last night, she was looking around herself after every mouthful as if scared that the wasp would reappear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

When she finally ate last night, she was looking around herself after every mouthful as if scared that the wasp would reappear

I'm a lot like that myself! I have a huge fear of wasps and have been known to seriously embarrass myself with my shrieking raindance routine when a wasp wants to get to know me better!

I'm really delighted to hear that your little one is getting over her upset, in a day or two she'll have forgotten all about it, I just hope she confines herself to butterflies in future!

Advertisement