Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction for Suggestion in Accomodation forum

Options
  • 06-10-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057504265&page=2

post # 25 - This is now post 24. Seems a post was deleted.

So I got an infraction from the moderator for posting something that he deemed to be unconstructive.

My post said:
    "how about every time hes snoring...go and ring his doorbell & wake him up. If he sees you at the door, just say there was somebody ringing his bell for ages and you went to answer cos the sound of the bell was louder than his snoring."

Yet, the same moderator then a couple of posts later says to talk to the snorer
    "Don't talk to them during the middle of the night, as they will be half-asleep and won't take it in properly. Talk to them, clearly and calmly, during the day. "

I've suggested a way for the OP to bring up the issue with the snorer (admittedly mightnt be the most diplomatic way/time to do so, but nonetheless it opens the conversation) the Mod says something similar, but I get an infraction on it? Hardly seems fair.

In addition another post is clearly there just to gain cheap laughs (#24 -now 23) and that poster doesnt get an infraction -not that I'm saying they should.

I cant see how this is a fair infraction.

Just for clarity I have tried to discuss this with the mod in question but he wasn't interested in discussing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

You got a warning, a virtual slap on the wrist for suggesting someone be a problem neighbour and potentially get themselves in trouble with the law for harassment or anti-social behaviour.

I see nothing incorrect in the mod action of a warning for that post.

Warning upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Taltos wrote: »
    You got a warning, a virtual slap on the wrist for suggesting someone be a problem neighbour and potentially get themselves in trouble with the law for harassment or anti-social behaviour.

I see nothing incorrect in the mod action of a warning for that post.

Warning upheld.

with all due respect i didnt suggest somebody be a problem neighbour nor to do something to cause harassment or antisocial behaviour. if the neighbours tv/radio was on loud late at night or their dog was barking at night the sensible thing to do is call to their door and ask them to turn it down/bring the dog inside. why would it not be the same for them snoring so loud it disrupts the op sleep? It seems to me the best time to start talking to the snorer is at the time rather than afterwards (when they are less likely to believe you as to the extent of the issue)

Your suggestion
    daheff wrote: »
    how about every time hes snoring...go and ring his doorbell & wake him up. If he sees you at the door, just say there was somebody ringing his bell for ages and you went to answer cos the sound of the bell was louder than his snoring.

has only one real result - the OP becomes a neighbourhood nuisance and could be charged by the gardai. Best case they'll be told to get lost, worst case your suggestion could cause this to escalate into something a lot more serious.

Yellow is still upheld and to be honest you got off lightly.

If you still wish to challenge you can request an admin review.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Hi -I would like to appeal this to an Admin. I don’t think this infraction is fair or just. I think it’s more down to the Mods opinion on what he would do (and find acceptable) than accepting my suggestion of what to do & how to approach the issue.

The reasoning given for the infraction by the original Mod is that it’s unconstructive. When I queried the Mod on his reasons he told me that the suggestion was “stupid, malicious” and “have you ever tried to have a conversation with somebody who is, at best, half awake?”

I don’t think trying to call to the neighbour to wake them to stop the noise they are making is stupid or malicious (or harassment –the neighbour it’s the one causing the offence here, not the OP). If anything it’s the sensible way to approach the issue. I feel that the second part of the reason given by the mod is more down to his personal experiences with talking with people who are half awake rather than realising that others may have not have had such ‘bad’ experiences with sleepy people.

The main issue here is that the neighbour is causing excessive domestic noise. It could be an alarm, their dog, tv, radio, shouting in the house, crying baby or any other kind of noise. The fact is that its excessive noise regardless of how it’s caused. How you approach some of the (more sensitive) causes are more a tactful issue.
    In my opinion the OP would be entitled to call into the neighbour when the excessive noise is occurring, it may not be the most diplomatic thing to do, but to me the best time to deal with the issue is when it’s happening rather than making a comment in passing after the fact- the neighbour probably wouldn’t take the OP as seriously if it were an after the fact comment than if the approached the neighbour at the time.

Citizens information tell you that for rented dwellings “If the noise is coming from a rented dwelling and you don’t get a satisfactory response from the tenants, you can complain to the landlord” – see section Domestic Noise
    Under Complaints under the EPA ACT section it states
    “While the law does not specifically mention an exact level or standard of noise that is illegal, it is clear that if neighbourhood noise is affecting your quality of life, then you have a right to complain. If you plan to complain about excessive noise, it is generally recommended that you keep a detailed diary of the times when it occurred, the duration and, if possible, the levels involved.
    You should first approach the person or business causing the noise, explain that it is a nuisance and try to come to a mutually acceptable solution.”

Citizens Info -noise nuisance

These statements indicates that the citizens information centre advocates contacting the person causing the noise.

My point about “If he sees you at the door” probably wasn’t very well explained. I meant “when he sees you at the door” - this gives the OP a way to open the conversation and an ‘Out’ without making it confrontational (by implying they are doing him a favour answering the door cos he didn’t hear it over his snoring).

I just want to state clearly that I am not advocating the OP cause a nuisance for their neighbour or harass them. But they do have a right to complain to the neighbour (see link to government publication below).

Government publication -noise

This document states
    "(3) When can I take action to deal with noise as a nuisance?

Whenever you consider a noise to be so loud, so continuous, so repeated,of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times that it gives you reasonable cause for annoyance you can initiate action to deal with it."

All said and done, I appreciate my post may not have properly conveyed my meaning, and if my poor wording is at fault I apologise for not explaining myself properly. I made the post a little hurriedly and understand that may have caused some discrepancies with regard to my meaning.

OK will let the admin team know - but again this was a warning not an infraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed is was. Warning upheld. You might not mean something, but your post can certainly appear that way. I'd suggest you think about your posts, and how they may come across in future

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement