Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The POST PICS OF MYRDDIN'S GAME OF MYSTERY thread

• 06-10-2015 7:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, a quick thread dedicated to guesses as to what our Cat Mod has gone and done bought with his hard earned money....

I'll go first here

256px-ShaqFu_logo.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

medium_14600_2545907250.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Star-Trek-Starfleet-Academy-Super-nintendo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

murder-she-wrote-board-game.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Rise of the Robots

Shudder
    E.T. from Atari Landfill

A regular ET cart would do me just fine :P
    Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

Already have it (unboxed though). Love that game :)
    Board Game

I HATE boardgames, so no, definitely not :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

snatcherbox.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh wait, it's a **** game that means a lot to you?

coronation_street_the_mystery_of_the_missing_hotpot_recipe_xl.jpg

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »

I HATE boardgames, so no, definitely not :D

But it's a board game based on mysteries ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

hqdefault.jpg

I was in a market in Guatemala last week and there was a fella selling what looked to be pirate copies of shaq fu :D

• Advertisement

According to the tracking info, it has been released from customs & is in the depot awaiting dispatch. Expecting an eye watering customs bill, but what can one do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

According to the tracking info, it has been released from customs & is in the depot awaiting dispatch. Expecting an eye watering customs bill, but what can one do...

I thought they usually hold it in customs until you pay? At least the one time I was stung, that's what happened.

I thought they usually hold it in customs until you pay? At least the one time I was stung, that's what happened.

The last two times I've been caught for customs I've just had to pay the delivery driver (getting a receipt etc), and the tracking numbers both reflected the item being in customs & being released and marked as 'out for delivery'. The tracking info thus far on this item has been:

Item Received
    On Route To Customer
    Item Sent To Customs
    Item in Depot

Hopefully 'item in depot' is just the stage before being sent out for delivery, & not having to ring them & jump through a load of hoops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The last two times I've been caught for customs I've just had to pay the delivery driver (getting a receipt etc), and the tracking numbers both reflected the item being in customs & being released and marked as 'out for delivery'. The tracking info thus far on this item has been:

Item Received
    On Route To Customer
    Item Sent To Customs
    Item in Depot

Hopefully 'item in depot' is just the stage before being sent out for delivery, & not having to ring them & jump through a load of hoops!

Hoops! That's gotta be a clue!

Must be this....:D

500px-Bill_LaimbeersCombatBasketballCover.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Expecting an eye watering customs bill, but what can one do...

You could make sure you're ready for it to arrive...

Released from customs, it's in Ballymount now...looking like a Monday delivery...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With all the hullabaloo if it's not a X68000 with a port of polybius I'll be disappointed!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With all the hullabaloo if it's not a X68000 with a port of polybius I'll be disappointed!

I suspect most will be disappointed, tis my #1 grail get after all & won't be to everyone's liking :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Is it sort sort of ultra rare soldering iron?

Is it sort sort of ultra rare soldering iron?

Tis a game :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Image-36.jpg

346.jpg

Current Status

ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER DUBLIN PARCEL CENTRE
    BALLYMOUNT RD
    DUBLIN 12 17-Oct-15
    02:43

Item History

ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER DUBLIN PARCEL CENTRE
    BALLYMOUNT RD
    DUBLIN 12 17-Oct-15
    02:43
    RELEASED FROM CUSTOMS PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE
    CO LAOIS 16-Oct-15
    18:39
    ITEM IN DEPOT PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE
    CO LAOIS 15-Oct-15
    17:15
    ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE
    CO LAOIS 12-Oct-15
    14:58
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE
    CO LAOIS 12-Oct-15
    14:57
    ITEM RECEIVED PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE
    CO LAOIS 12-Oct-15
    14:57

3od1wo.jpg

qktP1qV.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So, what is it?

So, what is it?

its a dick in a box :D

So, what is it?

I think we've experienced this period of time before sir.

Still no sign...

It's here....

I won't prolong the mystery much further, I just need to have a decent look at it & enjoy the moment myself! Plus I've a Super Famicom being retrobrightened at the mo I'm keeping a watchful eye on, so bear with me a few more mins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bet it's a repro.

Bet it's a repro.

BANNED

I'm guessing it's The Wily Wars

Master of the Universe

Well, if it was hit by customs it's from outside the EU and that's a European game :D

I've a feeling it's something for the Snes, and an NTSC US copy too.

45223_front.jpg

Have it :)

Wand of Gamelon?

• Advertisement

Ok, about twenty years ago a family member in the states sent me over a Genesis, Genesis CD & 32X ( & a small collection of games) as a Christmas present. I got it a few weeks before Christmas, & played the hell out of it. There was one game in the pile though that sounded like something right up my alley, & I decided to keep that for Christmas day, so I'd something new & fresh to play when the morning came.

Christmas arrived, & I played the game for the first time. It blew me away. I had been (unconsciously) longing for something a bit different than the usual fare of scrolling beat 'em ups, shooters, fighting games etc that had predominated my gaming experiences up until then (aside from LttP). This game was everything my young teenage self had wanted it to be, I felt immersed in the game, & it was so radically different to what I'd ever played before (not being lucky enough to have a pc to experience games of the genre).

The years came & went, and the dawn of a new player in the console world arrived, the Sony Playstation. It was near the end of my love for games (which obviously returned years later), but I knew I needed a PS1 in my life. I looked around to see what I could sell to fund the £300 retail price of the new console. The Sega Genesis, CD & 32X (along with the games that they'd came with) went up for the chop, & I very very regrettably sold them on.

I fell out of love with gaming not too long after this, but regardless, I still kept a warm place in my heart for the game I had kept for that Christmas day. Upon returning to gaming some ten years or so later, my goal was to collect ALL of the games and systems I had growing up. I've achieved this now, by rebuying the game in question. I sold a few games that I had gotten over the years, games I would never really have bothered too much with...in order to soften the monetary hit. Over the years, this game has attained cult-status, sky-rocketing in price year after year. I reasoned that I was never, ever going to come across this game in the wild...and even if I did, it'd be a version I never owned (there was a PAL UK release, but I had the NTSC-US release growing up)...and as such, decided to take the plunge and rebuy it now, rather than risk seeing it become more & more pricey (I say risk because the whole market could crash tomorrow, but who knows).

With modern technology, it has become quite easy to create very convincing duplicates (especially cd's) - so I took my time buying this, exchanged messages with the seller, got additional pics of it, and have since verified it is legit thankfully. I'd have been covered with paypal anyway, but who wants the hassle of all that. There have been fakes of it known to be circulating, so you can't be too careful really. Yeah, so that's essentially it...it'll be the most expensive game I'll ever buy, I've no doubt about that. If I hadn't got such a nostalgic love for it, I'd feel anyone else was a bit mad for paying the price for this - but as we all know ourselves, there are some things out there that we've bizarre irrational connections to, where a small thing like money simply can't get in the way! Ladies & gents, I present to thee...Snatcher CD

rms3mw.jpg

11t4ao5.jpg

vzhnic.jpg

2isbcba.jpg

i77s5k.jpg

2sakuc4.jpg

2afkcu8.jpg

jv0ryq.jpg

55j6vt.jpg

Master of the Universe

Beautiful!

May I just point out that I totally called that on the first page :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Beautiful!

May I just point out that I totally called that on the first page :pac:

You did indeed...my bill murray gif was intended as a non denial of such but someone posted in between our posts :o

Master of the Universe

Yeah I remembered you saying how significant a game it was to you and how you'd sadly let go of it a few year back.

What a get though..still don't have it myself...went to play through it a few years ago on my Mega CD but sadly didn't have a way of getting the saves to back up properly so had to give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought Bill Murray was reacting to the Bettys Hotpot game...

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    I thought Bill Murray was reacting to the Bettys Hotpot game...

Nope :D

Eh, I thought you said it's a crap game? Snatcher is fecking amazing. Nice get, really need to pick up a copy myself.

Eh, I thought you said it's a crap game? Snatcher is fecking amazing. Nice get, really need to pick up a copy myself.

I've seen it referred to as such, a few times actually. Personally, as you can tell from the above, I think it's incredible...the story, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the music...I just love it. To avoid customs I could have gone for the PAL release, but as I said, it's not the one I had years ago so wouldn't have been the same for me. For others though, that wouldn't apply :)

I've seen it referred to as such, a few times actually.

I'd love to know who was saying that. Probably some muppet of a 'journalist' barely out of his twenties that thought there was too much text.

I'd love to know who was saying that. Probably some muppet of a 'journalist' barely out of his twenties that thought there was too much text.

Indeed, from reading about the game over the years I've realised that while it does have a cult-like following, it's not universally loved. No different to other widely loved games like OoT etc in that regard, some will love it while others will wonder what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's a fantastic game, if it was just a bit harder it would be an even better game. The action sequences are a bit clumsy but not worth low marking it for. The dialogue is incredible really, don't know how long they spent doing that.

Great pickup though!

That's absolute bonkers. The Jeremy Balustein localisation is absolutely stellar and the first example of a really well done videogame localisation. It's what landed him the Metal Gear Solid job. As for the game it's pretty much the gold standard of Japanese adventure games. Sure the story is cliche and rips for a load of different sources but the attention to detail is excellent, some of the puzzles are very inventive and it's full of original flourishes that make the game feel a lot more involved than a standard adventure game.

If there's anything wrong with the game it's a bit too short and the final chapter added to the Mega CD version is a bit of an info bomb and goes on a bit but they are very minor nitpicky complaints.

If there's anything wrong with the game it's a bit too short and the final chapter added to the Mega CD version is a bit of an info bomb and goes on a bit but they are very minor nitpicky complaints.

Agreed, Act 3 makes the player a bit more of a passenger & there's not as much interactivity at that point. It and the 'action sequences' are probably the only flaws really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Congrats on the new arrival, lovely get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Tchoin

Finally the mystery has been revealed :D

Awesome find, hope you enjoy it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement