Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Systems Development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 _JimPix_

Graduated from SSD with a 1.1. Ive beaten many Applied Students to jobs. 5 jobs in total now at this stage. I only accepted one of course but i was offered 5. Also interviewed where people from other WIT courses but its Applied you ask about.

I also work alongside people who graduated from most Software courses in WIT including Applied.

One thing ive always noticed is that Applied are the only ones who actually seem to care about the title of the course. Im really not sure why. This strange arrogance that they seem to have. The programming languages we all work with in college and work are the same. A lot of the modules are just renamed with the same content. They lead to the same Masters and jobs.

One thing is for absolute certain. Employers do not give a **** about the title of your course. Not by a long shot. In fact you will look like a complete prat if you say to a professional that your Software course is better then any other Software course.

Also your last question there. the only course that drops Software in 4th year is I.T so basically anything else will lead to a career in Software if you want that.

Good to hear was getting worried when people (more then likely ac students) said on different threads how much superior the ac course is to the ssd course and how it has so much more programming etc compared to the ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

_JimPix_ wrote: »
    Good to hear was getting worried when people (more then likely ac students) said on different threads how much superior the ac course is to the ssd course and how it has so much more programming etc compared to the ssd.

It depends on the student 100%.

If you want to be good you have to sit down every single night at home and improve your skills. This notion of "More Programming" that people like to speak of is kind of nonsense. As ive said already they all use the same languages. SSD has really good business modules that open up business analysis jobs that wouldn't suit an applied student. Whereas a good SSD student could apply for all the jobs that an Applied student could apply for. Same could be said for Forensics and Physics students that neither SSD or Applied could really go for.

At the end of the day they are all just 20 odd hours a week in college. You could easily put in another 40 hours a week at home. Therefore it should be fairly easy to say that what you do at home matters the most and not in class. The real work is put in after the 4 years when you get into a company anyway. No one would even entertain that arrogance bull**** then. You wouldn't even get the job in the first place if they get that vibe from you. Some clown from WIT acting as if they just graduated Stanford or Harvard wouldn't fit well into any place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 _JimPix_

It depends on the student 100%.

If you want to be good you have to sit down every single night at home and improve your skills. This notion of "More Programming" that people like to speak of is kind of nonsense. As ive said already they all use the same languages. SSD has really good business modules that open up business analysis jobs that wouldn't suit an applied student. Whereas a good SSD student could apply for all the jobs that an Applied student could apply for. Same could be said for Forensics and Physics students that neither SSD or Applied could really go for.

At the end of the day they are all just 20 odd hours a week in college. You could easily put in another 40 hours a week at home. Therefore it should be fairly easy to say that what you do at home matters the most and not in class. The real work is put in after the 4 years when you get into a company anyway. No one would even entertain that arrogance bull**** then. You wouldn't even get the job in the first place if they get that vibe from you. Some clown from WIT acting as if they just graduated Stanford or Harvard wouldn't fit well into any place.

I have been teaching myself java, html/css and javascript the past year or so and hope to do a lot more during the summer, so doing a hour or two a night should be okay I really like programming so it should grand. I didnt do business in school, is the business in this course like leaving cert or is it about software businesses use?

_JimPix_ wrote: »
    I have been teaching myself java, html/css and javascript the past year or so and hope to do a lot more during the summer, so doing a hour or two a night should be okay I really like programming so it should grand. I didnt do business in school, is the business in this course like leaving cert or is it about software businesses use?

Purely software business. But a lot of the lingo of course is the same.

Business Processes, Business Intelligence, SAP, Business Analysis.

They would all help getting an analysis role which is a very highly paid role. Also demand for Big Data is growing massively. I dont have to remind anyone how important big data is.

Id far prefer to have a Degree in Software and Business than just a degree is Software. It definitely helped me get into the good job im in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Accepted this course yesterday, I had it deferred.

Does anyone have any advice before I start in September? Like anything to look over or that?

• Advertisement

J98 wrote: »
    Accepted this course yesterday, I had it deferred.

Does anyone have any advice before I start in September? Like anything to look over or that?

Read through HeadFirst Java, HTML, PHP, Javascript and SQL if you are into books. Grab them off the Bay.

If you are into videos go with https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DF6E4B45C36D411 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-zzrqQoSE&list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28

Start thinking of ideas for Websites and Apps. One for the worst thing about College in general is a lecturer coming in and saying they want an idea for an app by the next day and having no time to think.

Think of ideas for basic android apps and websites. Dont think too hard. Keep it simple. Weather app or fitness trackers or some other thing thats been done a million times. Come up with 15 ideas and every time you are asked for an idea just get 1 from the list that suits.

If you are really clever you will think of a final project and over the 4 years work towards learning the skills to make that project a reality.

Connect every App to a database even when not asked. It will kill two birds with one stone. Develop your database skills and get you s better mark.

Start a Github account and save EVERYTHING in it. It will look great in 4 years when you have a 4 year old stacked out portfolio

Get yourself a server through Godaddy or Namecheap and just mess around with ftping and hosting sites. Itll stand to you in the long run.

JavaScript is the key to a 1.1. Theres a huge emphasis on Javascript in 4th year which counts towards your final mark. Far too many students leave it too late and get low marks in the Javascript which results in them getting a 2.1. or 2.2

Start with Eclipse IDE form the start. **** BlueJay if they still use it. Waste of time.

Dont underestimate the small continuous assessment tests throughout the year. You can put in the effort and have 15 percent before you even start the final test of the year or you can get lazy and **** your results up before you even go in.

Gonna be getting a new laptop fairly soon, does anyone recommend any? Also would I be better of using Windows or Mac OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

All tutorials from downloads to installs are all based on Windows. If your used to windows stick to windows, no point trying to get to grips with a new OS as well as having to figure out course material.

My laptop is http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/acer-aspire-e15-2014-1284546/review but it has 12GB of ram and a 1TB HDD. No problem running anything, even android studio which caused a lot of the class crazy performance problems.

Hijpo wrote: »
    All tutorials from downloads to installs are all based on Windows. If your used to windows stick to windows, no point trying to get to grips with a new OS as well as having to figure out course material.

I'm used to both systems, so I wouldn't be able to get the tutorials installed on Mac OS?

Yeah I need to stay looking I want to try get something for around 1000 that can handle pretty much anything I want to develop like apps, websites, bit of photoshop and maybe unity without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I'm used to both systems, so I wouldn't be able to get the tutorials installed on Mac OS?

Yeah I need to stay looking I want to try get something for around 1000 that can handle pretty much anything I want to develop like apps, websites, bit of photoshop and maybe unity without any hassle.

Ah no id say you will be fine then, its just one lad had a Mac and wasnt to mac savvy going into year 1 and struggled a bit to keep in with material because of default installation directories and project folder directories being different. He ended up having to learn about Mac's as well as keep up with course material and if he had an issue installing software he had to figure it out before he could start CA's for example.

Id say for a grand you'll find something well capable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

I use a MacBook Pro with Windows 10 installed on it. I switch between Mac OS and Windows regularly and find Windows to be best for me. Most of the lectures use Windows PCs and Windows software. Its really what OS your more familiar with. One of my friends has a Asus ZenBook which is very similar to a MacBook Air. Get a machine with a SDD in it, made a massive difference to mine.

inna981 wrote: »
    I use a MacBook Pro with Windows 10 installed on it. I switch between Mac OS and Windows regularly and find Windows to be best for me. Most of the lectures use Windows PCs and Windows software. Its really what OS your more familiar with. One of my friends has a Asus ZenBook which is very similar to a MacBook Air. Get a machine with a SDD in it, made a massive difference to mine.

How does your macbook pro perform? If I was going to get a macbook pro I'd probably be getting the base model 13" retina which has the Ci5 2.7ghz and 8gb ram. Yeah I will definitely be getting a SSD.

Would you get away with just using Mac OS in this course?

How does your macbook pro perform? If I was going to get a macbook pro I'd probably be getting the base model 13" retina which has the Ci5 2.7ghz and 8gb ram. Yeah I will definitely be getting a SSD.

Would you get away with just using Mac OS in this course?

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro which has an i7 at 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. It has been a brilliant laptop considering its age. Keyboard and battery life are excellent. Not one problem with it. Although a RAM upgrade is due soon.

I would say 13" might be too small, mine is a 15" non retina and it can feel a bit cramped at times. I think you'll be fine with Mac OS, just the first few months might be nerve wracking just getting used to it. And you can always run Windows in a VM or Bootcamp, if you really need it :o

inna981 wrote: »
    I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro which has an i7 at 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. It has been a brilliant laptop considering its age. Keyboard and battery life are excellent. Not one problem with it. Although a RAM upgrade is due soon.

I would say 13" might be too small, mine is a 15" non retina and it can feel a bit cramped at times. I think you'll be fine with Mac OS, just the first few months might be nerve wracking just getting used to it. And you can always run Windows in a VM or Bootcamp, if you really need it :o

The battery life, the portability, the power and the retina display of the macbook pro 13" is the reason I am looking to go for it, when I'm at home I'll just connect it to a monitor.

What would I have to do differently to people using Windows? Or is everything in the course sort of based around windows?

I'm still looking at the moment anyway just trying to figure out my options.

The battery life, the portability, the power and the retina display of the macbook pro 13" is the reason I am looking to go for it, when I'm at home I'll just connect it to a monitor.

What would I have to do differently to people using Windows? Or is everything in the course sort of based around windows?

I'm still looking at the moment anyway just trying to figure out my options.

Its not much of a difference, your doing the same thing as everyone else on Windows but the Mac way. Its really just getting used to it. Most applications like Eclipse and Dreamweaver run exactly the same as it would on Windows. Nearly file types will work the same on each. Most of the lecturers use the PCs in the labs which are Windows.

Dont bother with a Mac.

What you want is an Ultrabook like a Dell XPS13, i7 8gb at least and 256gb SSD.

Always a deal on for at least 10% off. You might think its crazy but i would go for this with a 4 year warranty which ends up about 1500.

edit - links are ****ed. Just Google XPS 13 and look at the first i7.

Battery life and portability is by far your priority in industry and college. Dell make solid machines.

If i was starting all over again i would 100% get one of these. In about 2 years have the battery replaced and itll be good as new for the last 2 years.

Think of it as an investment. You will be on about 30k-35k when you finish college. If you can afford it at all go for it. Absolutely the best 1500 you will ever spend. You're talking a highly paid 50 year career. Do anything that gives you a slight edge.

Dont bother with a Mac.

What you want is an Ultrabook like a Dell XPS13, i7 8gb at least and 256gb SSD.

Always a deal on for at least 10% off. You might think its crazy but i would go for this with a 4 year warranty which ends up about 1500.

edit - links are ****ed. Just Google XPS 13 and look at the first i7.

Battery life and portability is by far your priority in industry and college. Dell make solid machines.

If i was starting all over again i would 100% get one of these. In about 2 years have the battery replaced and itll be good as new for the last 2 years.

Think of it as an investment. You will be on about 30k-35k when you finish college. If you can afford it at all go for it. Absolutely the best 1500 you will ever spend. You're talking a highly paid 50 year career. Do anything that gives you a slight edge.

Yeah I am strongly considering going for that spec Dell XPS 13, there is no upgrade for the ram on the dell website but I assume 8gb will be enough.

The only warranty I can see on the website is 1 year accidental damage.

Would there be a huge difference between the 6th gen core i5 and i7? I think its probably worth going for the i7 anyway.

Ram eats battery and having 16gb is a waste. Better with 8gb in an Ultrabook. More than enough.

Warranty and support is on the customization page. 4 years is about 300 quid.

i7 is what your after. Paired with a good SSD and 8gb ram its a beast. That laptop will boot in about 5 seconds

Id just go for what i said and in about 2 years get a 1tb ssd maybe and a new battery if you feel the need.

Thats a solid laptop for 4 years. Any advantage you can give yourself you should.

What sort of Java programs and websites do you create in first year?

What sort of Java programs and websites do you create in first year?

Basic stuff. Its more the theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JimJamMiniMini

Im in first year and so far we've done a project site which was written in html and css to show off our skills and what we have learned . Java assignment will be on next week and its from what we have learned so far it was loops , ifs and all the basics . We will also learn BootStrap this semester and after christmas we will learn JavaScript also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 John05sy

I'm now doing SSD - Year 2 in WIT.
    I swear to God that 99% of the students in both SSD & IT courses know nothing about Java and their levels fall short of "beginners"!
    Among 6 lecturers in this semester, only 2 of them are good and the rest are useless + arrogant !

I do not recommend SSD nor IT courses "at least" in WIT.

John05sy wrote: »
    I'm now doing SSD - Year 2 in WIT.
    I swear to God that 99% of the students in both SSD & IT courses know nothing about Java and their levels fall short of "beginners"!
    Among 6 lecturers in this semester, only 2 of them are good and the rest are useless + arrogant !

I do not recommend SSD nor IT courses "at least" in WIT.

The programming teacher in year 2 SSD is brilliant :) If Im not mistaken you have two different ones at the moment? One for lectures and one for practicals? Both of them are briliant lecturers, what subjects you finding the lecturers bad in?

The programming teacher in year 2 SSD is brilliant :) If Im not mistaken you have two different ones at the moment? One for lectures and one for practicals? Both of them are briliant lecturers, what subjects you finding the lecturers bad in?

Forget it dude, I do not want my post to go so far, at least not before I graduate. I ain't wanna create enemies of lecturers.
    Nothing will be changed, people in charge there knew and agreed on that throughout all the last years and I ain't think they change anything because it's so much obvious and doesn't need a student claim (scapegoat == me)!

Forget it dude, I do not want my post to go so far, at least not before I graduate. I ain't wanna create enemies of lecturers.
    Nothing will be changed, people in charge there knew and agreed on that throughout all the last years and I ain't think they change anything because it's so much obvious and doesn't need a student claim (scapegoat == me)!

Im in year 4 of SSD at the moment and I legit don't have a problem with the lecturers within the college, there is some crap ones for sure but majority are good. You just told people a few posts ago to not go near WIT for tech courses and that is such a stupid statement :rolleyes:

I am in year 4 and I can honeslty say that I have loved all 4 years within the college and learned so much. Obviously over 4 years I have had some bad lecturers that is just down to numbers, some are going to be bad but there is some amazing ones.

Im in year 4 of SSD at the moment and I legit don't have a problem with the lecturers within the college, there is some crap ones for sure but majority are good. You just told people a few posts ago to not go near WIT for tech courses and that is such a stupid statement :rolleyes:

I am in year 4 and I can honeslty say that I have loved all 4 years within the college and learned so much. Obviously over 4 years I have had some bad lecturers that is just down to numbers, some are going to be bad but there is some amazing ones.

Of course there are amazing lecturers in WIT, I totally agree with ya.
    BTW, I did not say don't go near WIT for tech courses! I said SSD & IT particularly. But on the other hand, A.C and Computer Forensics are excellent courses which sadly I haven't had a change to join any of them!

P.S. You're in the 4th year now, best of luck from my heart, but if ya accept a little advice from me, test yourself on stackoverflow.com to see how good you are in programming... try to answer some asked questions about java or whatever language you are good at. :)

Of course there are amazing lecturers in WIT, I totally agree with ya.
    BTW, I did not say don't go near WIT for tech courses! I said SSD & IT particularly. But on the other hand, A.C and Computer Forensics are excellent courses which sadly I haven't had a change to join any of them!

P.S. You're in the 4th year now, best of luck from my heart, but if ya accept a little advice from me, test yourself on stackoverflow.com to see how good you are in programming... try to answer some asked questions about java or whatever language you are good at. :)

A lot of the people answering on stackoverflow have been in industry for years and stuff. When you leave college you should have decent programming skills but its when you go out to industry is when you grow more as a programmer. I could answer a lot of questions on stackoverflow regarding Java.

SSD if I am not mistaken had a 100% employment rate last year, so its not exactly a bad course for gaining employment. Applied computing is a good course but its the same as any other course, there is some good students and bad students in there.

I'm in 2nd year IT and i find both lectures to be brilliant. Two different styles of teaching. The programming is tough tho, but if you ask questions in class and from other people it's manageable.

If anyone has graduated year 4 of this course and is willing to answer a few questions will they please pm me? I am in year 4 and would like to find out a few things from past students experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

If anyone has graduated year 4 of this course and is willing to answer a few questions will they please pm me? I am in year 4 and would like to find out a few things from past students experiences.

Left after year 3, pm if I can help with questions.

Advertisement