Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Systems Development

Options

Comments

Left after year 3, pm if I can help with questions.
    Thanks for the help but I finished year 3 myself. Its a question regarding fourth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JimJamMiniMini

John05sy wrote: »
    I'm now doing SSD - Year 2 in WIT.
    I swear to God that 99% of the students in both SSD & IT courses know nothing about Java and their levels fall short of "beginners"!
    Among 6 lecturers in this semester, only 2 of them are good and the rest are useless + arrogant !

I do not recommend SSD nor IT courses "at least" in WIT.

IDK about you mate but i know a guy that's actually in 2nd year SSD and rejected an offer from Intel for work placement . Maybe he's in the 1% of the good students . Anyway i'm in 1st year and i had no problem with my lecturer so far because i can't complain about Programming lectures in WIT for now , There are other modules that i don't like the lectures but for programming i actually can't complain .

IDK about you mate but i know a guy that's actually in 2nd year SSD and rejected an offer from Intel for work placement . Maybe he's in the 1% of the good students . Anyway i'm in 1st year and i had no problem with my lecturer so far because i can't complain about Programming lectures in WIT for now , There are other modules that i don't like the lectures but for programming i actually can't complain .

What programmers you have in first year these days?

What programmers you have in first year these days?

There are some good ones and obviously the ones that does worse but overall i think there is a good few programmers that will go out of this course.
    The people are taking the course seriously anyway , small amount doesnt care but thats in every year i guess.

There are some good ones and obviously the ones that does worse but overall i think there is a good few programmers that will go out of this course.
    The people are taking the course seriously anyway , small amount doesnt care but thats in every year i guess.

For sure, I am in year 4 at the moment, I was told that the lecturers for year one had changed. I was wondering who was teaching in year one now?

Yeah you are right, anyone who takes it seriously seems to do well. If you do the work at home and study a bit, you'll be flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

The level of lecturing in the level 7 SSD and IT is very mixed .Those two programs are poor relations compared to the level 8 IT courses and seem to get a lot of the poor leacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chickensoup11

What do you recommend students of these courses do? im in 2nd year of Bsc in IT and im regretting choosing this course.

What do you recommend students of these courses do? im in 2nd year of Bsc in IT and im regretting choosing this course.

What do you want to do when you finish? The course you do doesn't matter to much, get good grades and do some programming outside of college and have a github with some good projects. Good grades in your degree and a good github will get you a job, maybe move into ssd in fourth year if you want to be a programmer. Just work hard, no matter what course you do, if you don't work yourself you will get nothing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chickensoup11

I want to be a programmer. I read that you switched from IT to ssd, How are you finding ssd year 4? is there many programming modules in year 4? and how many people are in year 4 of the course? thanks.

I want to be a programmer. I read that you switched from IT to ssd, How are you finding ssd year 4? is there many programming modules in year 4? and how many people are in year 4 of the course? thanks.

Not sure of the number I think about 15ish with some chinese students. The programming isn't bad to be honest, there is a few javascript modules and the final project. If you want to be a programmer I don't think which course you picked matters, do projects on your own time and have a good github, you will get hired. None of the courses are actually bad, some might be stronger than others but if you put in the work any of them should lead to employment.

You are in year 2 of IT, so that means you are near the end of year 2 and flex semester, I'd just continue on, keep my head down and try get best marks possible. Aim for a 1.1/2.1 minimum and have a good github and you'll be grand. The course will be what you make of it.

• Advertisement

For sure, I am in year 4 at the moment, I was told that the lecturers for year one had changed. I was wondering who was teaching in year one now?

Yeah you are right, anyone who takes it seriously seems to do well. If you do the work at home and study a bit, you'll be flying.

Well for Programming we got Catherine , Systems stuff we got Mary , Web dev we have Mary L. and for Maths Ann. The lectures on the other modules changed in the second semester.

imacman wrote: »
    The level of lecturing in the level 7 SSD and IT is very mixed .Those two programs are poor relations compared to the level 8 IT courses and seem to get a lot of the poor leacturers.

I wouldn't really say they are poor , I know some that are kind of bad but it's not affecting the programming modules cause i find the lectures for programming actually helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 John05sy

The course you do doesn't matter to much, get good grades and do some programming outside of college and have a github with some good projects. Good grades in your degree and a good github will get you a job, maybe move into ssd in fourth year if you want to be a programmer. Just work hard, no matter what course you do, if you don't work yourself you will get nothing out of it.
    Ya keep saying this every time.
    I have a distinct average and most of my grades are over 80 and all my Java grades are over 85, I have a very good portfolio on my GitHub account and a lot of projects outside the college + I self-learned other programming languages... but yet I cannot find internship or work placement, yet I sent more than 20 companies in Waterford and outside Waterford that currently offering internships and ALL of them rejected my application.
    We are 15 in this year and NONE of us found an internship nor even offered a one!
    With all due respect, I ain't know what planet you live on man!

Ya keep saying this every time.
    I have a distinct average and most of my grades are over 80 and all my Java grades are over 85, I have a very good portfolio on my GitHub account and a lot of projects outside the college + I self-learned other programming languages... but yet I cannot find internship or work placement, yet I sent more than 20 companies in Waterford and outside Waterford that currently offering internships and ALL of them rejected my application.
    We are 15 in this year and NONE of us found an internship nor even offered a one!
    With all due respect, I ain't know what planet you live on man!

Try Sunlife? SAP?

It's only March by the way, a lot of people didn't find their Internships until the summer. Don't worry, relax and you will find somewhere if you have good grades and are a good worker.

What planet do I live on? Someone who has been through it all and knows what he is talking about :) I am in fourth year now and about to finish up in a few weeks and everyone in my year who wanted work experience got sorted and most got paid. If you dont believe drop me a pm and you can sit down, have coffeew with us some day and see that I am not bull****ting :cool:

Try Sunlife? SAP?

It's only March by the way, a lot of people didn't find their Internships until the summer. Don't worry, relax and you will find somewhere if you have good grades and are a good worker.

What planet do I live on? Someone who has been through it all and knows what he is talking about :) I am in fourth year now and about to finish up in a few weeks and everyone in my year who wanted work experience got sorted and most got paid. If you dont believe drop me a pm and you can sit down, have coffeew with us some day and see that I am not bull****ting :cool:

Cheers man :) , I did not mean you're Bull****ting :D
    I just think you're over-enthusiastic & confident , or maybe ya have a very good luck :o
    You can't imagine how much efforts I put in the last 2 years to have ANY opportunity.. daily and without exaggerating I program at least 8 hours and in the last summer I was coding roughly 10 hours a day !

BTW, Even SAP and Sunlife rejected my application. I applied in SAP for two internships for software development and it's negative! :(

P.S What do ya think about TSSG internships, I heard it is far away from the real industrial practice and hard coding?

I just think you're over-enthusiastic & confident , or maybe ya have a very good luck :o
    You can't imagine how much efforts I put in the last 2 years to have ANY opportunity.. daily and without exaggerating I program at least 8 hours and in the last summer I was coding roughly 10 hours a day !

BTW, Even SAP and Sunlife rejected my application. I applied in SAP for two internships for software development and it's negative! :(

P.S What do ya think about TSSG internships, I heard it is far away from the real industrial practice and hard coding?
    I know of a few people in my year who got hired by SAP for the flex, some went to VHI and others went to various locations. Did you ask your year head where to apply? but no one I know who looked for work, didn't get it in the end. Its March, flex semester starts in 6 months time, you seem very tense about it? relaxxxx :D keep doing good in your course and everything will end up ok :)

I know of a few people in my year who got hired by SAP for the flex, some went to VHI and others went to various locations. Did you ask your year head where to apply? but no one I know who looked for work, didn't get it in the end. Its March, flex semester starts in 6 months time, you seem very tense about it? relaxxxx :D keep doing good in your course and everything will end up ok :)

The one responsible for work placements in WIT has not done anything for us till now! she once told us, go and ask your relatives and friends if they know someone that offers ye internship!
    I went through all of these things too, and most of the opportunities open between Sep. and Oct. and close by Dec. every year.
    Nevertheless, it's highly recommended to have the work placement starting in Summer for at least 6 months to have a decent experience on your C.V.
    Moreover, most of the decent companies offer 6 months work placement and almost none offer a 3-months-internship.

The one responsible for work placements in WIT has not done anything for us till now! she once told us, go and ask your relatives and friends if they know someone that offers ye internship!
    I went through all of these things too, and most of the opportunities open between Sep. and Oct. and close by Dec. every year.
    Nevertheless, it's highly recommended to have the work placement starting in Summer for at least 6 months to have a decent experience on your C.V.
    Moreover, most of the decent companies offer 6 months work placement and almost none offer a 3-months-internship.

You'll get something for sure, just keep looking and keep the head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

I graduated SSD and had 4 job offers in the space of 2 weeks and the market is even stronger now so dont think you wont find work once you have the degree. Youll have your choice of jobs. Keep the head up. A Degree in Software and a good Linkedin page is like a magnet for recruiters looking for that commission. Probably twice a month now i get an email through Linkedin asking me to interview for a job.

Also what is industrial practice and hard coding? Do you think any internship is gonna let you near production level systems? no way. You are expecting way too much from the work experience anyway. It really isnt as essential as you think. Passion for coding and a degree is more than enough. They are all far from hard coding as you put it.

Youve 40 years in front of you and the hard part of it is actually college. The work is easy. Being a programmer is about as difficult as having 1 programming lecture per day where you're in a room with other people and you dont have to look very far for the answer. If you dont know it someone else will.

Also id seriously lose the attitude that you wouldn't recommend someone to SSD. People need encouragement. ****s hard enough without the negativity. I work with people from Applied, IT, Multimedia, SSD and even Degrees from UCD, Trinity and other colleges / universities and after about a month in the job everyone is the same. No one gives a **** what course anyone else did. Doesnt even get mentioned.

But seriously. getting emotional about it is a good thing. Shows you care. Just dont let the emotion turn to negative thoughts. Turn it into drive. Put the head down for the final year and do as well as you can do. It will all be a distant memory as soon as you get your first months salary (big fat stack of cash :) ) and you realise that it was all worth it and life for someone with a career in Software is ****ing sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 qbitt

I graduated SSD and had 4 job offers in the space of 2 weeks and the market is even stronger now so dont think you wont find work once you have the degree. Youll have your choice of jobs. Keep the head up. A Degree in Software and a good Linkedin page is like a magnet for recruiters looking for that commission. Probably twice a month now i get an email through Linkedin asking me to interview for a job.

Out of interest, did you not apply to any of these jobs yourself? Is that what the purpose of the little check box is in year 1 before the first semester starts, or was it simply because of your Linkedin?

• Advertisement

Just an update on this course, I got my grades on 13th of June and now less than a month later I have two job offers from software companies within Waterford county.

If you put your head down in SSD, do a good final year project and come out with a 2.1/1.1 (I got a 2.1) you will get a job.

Good luck to all future students and if anyone has any questions regrding to course I am happy to help with a pm (even if you are reading this thread years later, ill reply when I see it). Its a great course, could be organized better but I dont have many complaints throughout the 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Hi, anyone know how long the work placement is in this course. Is it one semester?

Thanks!

inna981 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone know how long the work placement is in this course. Is it one semester?

Thanks!

One semester and it takes place during 5th semester. There is 3 options certification, work experience or Erasmus, I did Erasmus but I wish I didn't the work experience it would have been a good learning expierience.

If its work experience you are looking for make sure to keep up good grades throughout the first two years, so when you go looking you will be choose above other students.

inna981 wrote: »

Thanks!
    Out of curiousity you said in past posts that you are in second year of this course, which would mean you are going into third year next year.

How did you not know how long work placement is? They give you a talk about flex semester in second year! If you are heading into third year next year you should have been looking for work the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 houseshare

starting computer forensics this september in waterford as a mature student and im crap at learning languages how screwed am i

also if any of you guys know of a room going in a share house with people who are 24+ let me know
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

Do you mean programming language's? There seems to be a bit of programming involved in the forensics course but they start off assuming you know nothing so you'll have plenty of help, there's no mention of foreign languages so if you mean that you have no worries. I'm starting the ssd course as a mature student, good luck in your course.

i was told that learning programming is a lot like learning a langauge i was always crap at irish i only know how to ask can i go for a piss although ill prob be grand i know a bit of sql it wasn't the worse to learn also its made me feel a lot better seeing you are 31 and also starting a course
    I've been getting visions of me being surrounded by embryos

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

Have a look at some of the online tutorials for programming like https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming it'll give you an idea of what programming is like i hear the drop out rates for the it courses are high due to people not having the head for staring at computer's and just thinking "theres money in computers" but if you no a little sql im guessing it wont be totally alien for you. I've been to a few of the open days and that over the last year and there was a good few mature students hopefuls so dont worry about been alone and as for age i wasn't the youngest but there was people in there 50s-60s that were looking at applying.

• Advertisement

nice one that site looks like a handy little place to get a head start

Advertisement