Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Systems Development

Options
1235»

Comments

houseshare wrote: »
    i was told that learning programming is a lot like learning a langauge i was always crap at irish i only know how to ask can i go for a piss although ill prob be grand i know a bit of sql it wasn't the worse to learn also its made me feel a lot better seeing you are 31 and also starting a course
    I've been getting visions of me being surrounded by embryos

Learning a programming language is nothing similar to learning a spoken language really.

I graduated last year and out of the people that finished the course in the end near enough 50% or so was a mature student. The course will be massive at the start but come the end of year one a high % of the people left will be mature students.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 houseshare

music to my eyes cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

Any recommendations on laptop spec, would ya need a decent one and would you need it straight away in september?

havnt even thought about that
    ill prob need to upgrade this ole warhorse

T17cH wrote: »
    Any recommendations on laptop spec, would ya need a decent one and would you need it straight away in september?

I'd go for some form of Ultrabook. Get something with a good I5, 8GB ram and an SSD.... It should tied you over for the 4 years. The best thing about the Ultrabooks is they also have decentish battery for a laptop.

• Advertisement

I realise this question has been asked elsewhere but I don see answers, how much do the books cost and is there many for the ssd course?

I realise this question has been asked elsewhere but I don see answers, how much do the books cost and is there many for the ssd course?

I bought none throughout the 4 years.

Really were any required at all? Is there any other costs that might pop up, I'm just making sure there's no major surprises, il be picking up a decent laptop so that I have sorted.

Really were any required at all? Is there any other costs that might pop up, I'm just making sure there's no major surprises, il be picking up a decent laptop so that I have sorted.

Not really! All of the resources are available online.

• Advertisement

That's great thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

That's great thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Its a great course and has near 100% employment, stick your head down and you will be golden come the end of it. If you have any questions about the course while you are doing it, you are welcome to pm me

that's a ring stinging endorsement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bulpvdxr

Hi guys, was wondering does anyone know what kind of stuff you learn in the 2nd semester of 3rd year? the modules on the site now are new ones and im still on the old course. want to get a head start while on placement. thanks :)

Study Android Development, learn how to make basic Android apps, look into Firebase and how it works, look into NoSQL and if you have any spare time do some study on JavaScript if you are doing fourth year.

Advertisement