Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precision timing insolvency

Options
  • 06-10-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Sad to see an Irish company go under. Hope it doesn't effect too many Tri clubs. What impact will this have?

Clubs seek legal advice after insolvent race management company leaves them high and dry
    http://the42.ie/2368691

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Going to be messy! Know of a local race left high and dry which was a charity fundraiser!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They didn't to many triathlons did they? Caroline Kearney? Did they do many other high profile triathlons? I assume midlands tri are screwed since races from June time haven't been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Am I right in saying Lanesborough as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Most of the events covered were running related. Triathlon and cycling mostly used their own web portals.

Where charity events are being caught is PT offered cheap chip timing in exchange for entry which gave them a mailing list. Race entries are not hitting critical mass to justify chip timing in many of the local events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

They didn't to many triathlons did they? Caroline Kearney? Did they do many other high profile triathlons? I assume midlands tri are screwed since races from June time haven't been paid.

Don't want to go into on here but yes we used PT......

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yeah - our charity races used PT too. Lost quite a bit in entries for upcoming race - or rather the charities will end up getting less this year unfortunately as we will still be putting the race on.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

AKW wrote: »
    Where charity events are being caught is PT offered cheap chip timing in exchange for entry which gave them a mailing list.

If true, this kind of email list acquisition would be considered illegal under Data Protection laws IMO. Contact details such as email addresses should only be retained for as long as necessary to satisfy the initial use case, i.e. after a race they should be deleted. I know this is in the main ignored by race organisers but anyhow..

speedyj wrote: »
    If true, this kind of email list acquisition would be considered illegal under Data Protection laws IMO. Contact details such as email addresses should only be retained for as long as necessary to satisfy the initial use case, i.e. after a race they should be deleted. I know this is in the main ignored by race organisers but anyhow..

If you submit your email address and part of the T&C's (which we all read ;) ) allowed them to add you to their mailing lists then it shouldn't be a DP issue. It is only if that is passed to a 3rd party that there is a problem AFAIK

I get what you mean though. Which reminds me there is another event which I definitely must look into myself.

Sorry re-reading I wasn't clear in my original post and confused the topic.

It is not a cheap chip timing in exchange for transfer of emails.

Instead they would offer a better chip price if they were to handle the entry process which leads to the acquisition of the email address, submitted by entrants.

• Advertisement

The races won't actually get physical access to the email addresses I don't think? Would imagine that it's more ''hey we have ALL these addresses in our database and 98% of them receive newsletters from us advertising races''

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Sad news. I always thought they provided an excellent service at any races they were involved in. As mentioned above, it'll get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

EC1000 wrote: »

As did we:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Milo Liquorice

Looks like Precision Timing are promoting a run in Ennis on Halloween.....are they back??

Looks like Precision Timing are promoting a run in Ennis on Halloween.....are they back??

Not as far as I am aware.

I do understand some of the employees are striking out on their own as a new business. Hopefully they use a sensible model.

AKW wrote: »
    Not as far as I am aware.

I do understand some of the employees are striking out on their own as a new business. Hopefully they use a sensible model.

Best of luck to them. However, using Precision Timing branded posters and medals does not seem like a good business model.

Best of luck to them. However, using Precision Timing branded posters and medals does not seem like a good business model.

Are you sure about that?

I know PT were involved with the Eamon Moloney Memorial crew who are hosting a Halloween run. They got stung and went to a different service provider.

Have you a url link that you can post here? The link won't work but we can follow with copy and paste.

Its being pushed on the on the Running In Clare FB page.
    If it was originally a Precision Timing race, they are probably just using up pre-ordered PT branded posters and medals.

Its being pushed on the on the Running In Clare FB page.
    If it was originally a Precision Timing race, they are probably just using up pre-ordered PT branded posters and medals.

That's what it is - they must have pre-ordered and received medals and leaflets as the event did put a post out a few weeks back
    ***Important*** please share
    Due to unforseen circumstances we have encountered with our previous online registration company, we have had to change registration links. The following link is the online registration we will be using going forward. Run Clare is alive and kicking so please share and make everyone aware of the change. Early bird still applies. Anyone that has already entered will not be affected!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

We were ordering our flyers the morning we got the news about PT so thankfully their details didn't go onto it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement