Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho

• 06-10-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

Wonder are the media beginning to go against him? Personally i like him as a manager but beginning to get bored of the antics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cryuff was quoted as very critical of his antics.
    The doctor stuff was the beginning of the end, he treated a popular member of the club apallingly.

Where does he go after Chelsea? What other top jobs could he get? He's still a young manager and he looks to have little options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I like to see him manage in LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mou could go to Bayern possibly, not sure they would be too keen on him but I'd say they would consider him alright. He could go back to Italy to Juve or AC, Napoli even. I'd imagine we may see him in Paris at some point but he could also retire early enough from management, he has certainly made the money and won the trophies to never have to worry financially and secured his legacy already.

Maybe a spell as national team manager after PSG

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The media have been against him for years, it's difficult to criticise a winner though

It's not like the attention he is getting now is over the top, he has arguably the best squad in the league and he's closer to the bottom of the table than the top, and morale is gone to shít because he threw the club doctor under the bus for no reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

I use to like him. Can't stand him now.

Underneath all the bravado and how great he keeps telling the media he is, I think he's a very insecure person and that's reflective in the way he sets his teams up to play.

I also think this is one of the reasons he seems relentless in his pursuit of Wenger. Wengers teams, when on form, play beautiful football, football Mourinho can only dream about getting his teams to play. It gets to him and the fact that Wenger gets applauded for the football they play despite being relatively unsuccessful the last 10 years or so. It's like Mourinho is jealous.

Also this idea that he deliberately takes the attention from his team is also nonsense in my opinion. He genuinely loves being the centre of attention. His insecurity needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The incident with the doctor showed him in a very bad light.
    She showed more concern, naturally, for an injured player than he did.
    He didn't even apologise and he should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The incident with the doctor showed him in a very bad light.
    She showed more concern, naturally, for an injured player than he did.
    He didn't even apologise and he should have.

No mention of the male doctor then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mourinho is bored, bored with Chelsea, with himself and with the game I suspect.

His idiotic behaviour towards the clubs medical staff broke one of the unwritten rules of polite society - do not abuse those who are subordinate to you. The dressing room was probably rather shocked at what happened that day and subsequently and as such may not really be listening to him with the same intensity now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He badly wanted the Man Utd job in 2013 imo despite what he has said. Looks to have lost the players at Chelsea like he did at Real.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He badly wanted the Man Utd job in 2013 imo despite what he has said

How can one possibly know this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Great manager, but probably needs help and personal training. Instead he's in an industry where that's just not going to happen. Guy has serious ego issues.

Bayern, want to lock pep down for another term so unless pep leaves I can't see him going to Bayern any time soon.

Not the same tactically since he and Avb parted ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Good article by Matthew Syed on his management style

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4576052.ece#pq=ZpwVJn

MD1990 wrote: »
    He badly wanted the Man Utd job in 2013 imo despite what he has said. Looks to have lost the players at Chelsea like he did at Real.

Without a doubt he did! I read an article that claimed him and his agent, thought it was a done deal. Reports suggested that he was bitterly disappointed and very upset when he didn't get it.

As a United fan I was desperate for him to get it but I'm glad he didn't now.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I like what he does with teams, great defensive coach who loves winning. Can handle big egos too but he is losing the run of himself these days. He came back from Spain a downed man.

Danye wrote: »
    Without a doubt he did! I read an article that claimed him and his agent, thought it was a done deal. Reports suggested that he was bitterly disappointed and very upset when he didn't get it.

As a United fan I was desperate for him to get it but I'm glad he didn't now.

Where do you get this without a doubt thing from? Because you read an article and reports suggested it? Think how many untrue rumours the media posts on a daily basis, particularly around the summer. Why is this one automatically true?

CSF wrote: »
    Where do you get this without a doubt thing from? Because you read an article and reports suggested it? Think how many untrue rumours the media posts on a daily basis, particularly around the summer. Why is this one automatically true?

Because I personally don't doubt that he did want the job.

Yes, from reports.

Where do you get the idea that he didn't want the job?

Because I personally don't doubt that he did want the job.

Yes, from reports.

Where do you get the idea that he didn't want the job?

The onus of proof is clearly on the person making a big claim. I have no idea whether he wanted it or not, there is very little solid information out there, hence my confusion about people talking it about it as a given.

The onus of proof is clearly on the person making a big claim. I have no idea whether he wanted it or not, there is very little solid information out there, hence my confusion about people talking it about it as a given.

Fair point.

I'm of the opinion that he desperately wanted the job. There have been reports, by some, that this was also the case. I believe those reports to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Going by interviews he did he never said a bad word about Utd and was always respectful towards them unlike other top clubs so it would appear he has a soft spot for them and would like a shot with them. That's just my opinion on it though.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Going by interviews he did he never said a bad word about Utd and was always respectful towards them unlike other top clubs so it would appear he has a soft spot for them and would like a shot with them. That's just my opinion on it though.

Mostly it's just been Wenger though and whoever he is playing mind games with really? Mourinho doesn't seem like the type to mince his words to keep his chances of getting a job somewhere. My inclination is that he would probably have gotten that United job ahead of Moyes but as Fergie has come out with lately, he had agreed things with Roman from early on.

That isn't to say that Mourinho would have had any qualms about managing United but I don't think the obsession was ever there that a certain sphere of the football Internet seemed determined to tell us at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Fair point.

I'm of the opinion that he desperately wanted the job. There have been reports, by some, that this was also the case. I believe those reports to be true.

Ferguson has since explained that Mourinho had already given his word to return to Chelsea by the time Utd made their interest known.

However, given that he also said that LVG was ruled out because he was committed to leading Holland at the World Cup, that could be just Fergie trying to make it look that Moyes was not in fact his first choice all along........

However, I do recall at the time that, for all his success, Mourinho's track record of leaving clubs in less thsn perfect terms after 3-4 years was the reason he didn't get Utd. They wanted someone for 5-6 years.

The season that we played his Real Madrid team in the last 16 of the CL, Bobby Charlton passed comments about his behaviour a couple of months before the game slamming his behaviour and how a United manager wouldn't carry on the way he did.

The game against United, reportedly was a chance he seen to go on the charm offensive. Applauding the home fans, before and after, buttering Fergie up on the sideline after the Nani red card, his reserved celebrations when they won and his post match press conference as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

rob316 wrote: »
    Cryuff was quoted as very critical of his antics.
    The doctor stuff was the beginning of the end, he treated a popular member of the club apallingly.

Where does he go after Chelsea? What other top jobs could he get? He's still a young manager and he looks to have little options.

You joking? Clubs would be tripping over themselves to sign him if he was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He wanted the Utd job? Lololol.

All the rumours of that came from Diego Torres and his book.

Fergie claimed in his latest book that Utd didnt approach Jose because he knew he was going back to Chelsea.

So pick whichever person you want to believe.

I liked him the first time he was at Chelsea but he's a changed man this time quite vindictive and nasty.
    I'm not a fan of this siege mentality thing it's good in small doses but the constant refusal to blame everyone except him and the players for a bad result just shows him to be a sore loser.

I'm not a fan of his football style or his management of flair players but I respect what he has won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You can't fault his record, 52 relatively youngish for a manager, and if he retired tomorrow there's probably only a handful of club managers with more success in the last 50 years

The season that we played his Real Madrid team in the last 16 of the CL, Bobby Charlton passed comments about his behaviour a couple of months before the game slamming his behaviour and how a United manager wouldn't carry on the way he did.

The game against United, reportedly was a chance he seen to go on the charm offensive. Applauding the home fans, before and after, buttering Fergie up on the sideline after the Nani red card, his reserved celebrations when they won and his post match press conference as well.

Didn't he also say that the best team lost that night. Not like him at all.

I liked him the first time he was at Chelsea but he's a changed man this time quite vindictive and nasty.
    I'm not a fan of this siege mentality thing it's good in small doses but the constant refusal to blame everyone except him and the players for a bad result just shows him to be a sore loser.

I'm not a fan of his football style or his management of flair players but I respect what he has won.

He has definitely gotten nastier and it isn't helping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mourinho is one of the few proven winners at the top level. Everywhere he goes he wins trophies, so despite all of the other baggage he will always be in demand, memories can be short when the fans are craving success.

United completely dropped the ball by not going after him 2 years ago, and I have no doubt whatsoever they would have gotten him and I don't care who wants to tell themselves otherwise. We would have gotten a few years and then the bullshit but damn sure we wouldn't have dropped to 7th under his watch.

• Advertisement

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Ferguson has since explained that Mourinho had already given his word to return to Chelsea by the time Utd made their interest known.

However, given that he also said that LVG was ruled out because he was committed to leading Holland at the World Cup, that could be just Fergie trying to make it look that Moyes was not in fact his first choice all along........

However, I do recall at the time that, for all his success, Mourinho's track record of leaving clubs in less thsn perfect terms after 3-4 years was the reason he didn't get Utd. They wanted someone for 5-6 years.

I see Fergie said that but I'm not so sure I believe him. Has a history of twisting things.

In regards to his times with clubs, his next move, which turned out to be Chelsea, was being heralded as the place that he would finally settle down and build his dynasty, regardless of who he went too.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He wanted the Utd job? Lololol.

All the rumours of that came from Diego Torres and his book.

Fergie claimed in his latest book that Utd didnt approach Jose because he knew he was going back to Chelsea.

So pick whichever person you want to believe.

Utd would suit his ego though. One of the biggest clubs in the world with huge fanbase. Hardly crazy to think he wanted it.

Didn't he also say that the best team lost that night. Not like him at all.

He did. How often has Jose said that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

He just seems to have a very short lifespan in each club he manages and has to go. Personally I'd never want him at Utd. I think he causes way too much upheaval at clubs he manages.

You joking? Clubs would be tripping over themselves to sign him if he was available.

You have a high chance of winning something but at what cost? He's the ringmaster of the circus he brings with him.

I would never ever want him at Liverpool unless he had a personality transplant and that seems unlikely.

Utd would suit his ego though. One of the biggest clubs in the world with huge fanbase. Hardly crazy to think he wanted it.

He'd already won the league with the biggest club on earth. United ain't all that special compared to Madrid.

• Advertisement

You have a high chance of winning something but at what cost? He's the ringmaster of the circus he brings with him.

I would never ever want him at Liverpool unless he had a personality transplant and that seems unlikely.

You're delusional. You know he'd never go to Liverpool so it's easy to grandstand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You're delusional. You know he'd never go to Liverpool so it's easy to grandstand.

Came within an asses roar of being Liverpool manager in 2004.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I think he's gone full-on bat**** crazy over the last year, like he's forgotten where the public persona he created ends and where the real Jose begins. For the sake of his mental health I hope he takes a long break from the game after Chelsea sack him.

Came within an asses roar of being Liverpool manager in 2004.

And he was really interested in it at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

At the start of every season he seems to Chuck somebody out of the club or freezes somebody out just to send a message to people. He treated Mata appallingly. He chucked Schurle out of the club because he didn't track back one time. Then there is the whole Saleh and Cuadrado fiascos. The player turnover at the club is appauling and the lack of opportunities for young players is demoralizing.

This was all before the stuff with Doctors, who seemed to be this year's "message".

These people have friendships within the dressing room. They see their friends and their families having to pack up and venture somewhere else just because he wanted to make a point. Kids moving schools, WAGs leaving jobs (some actually have real jobs), friends leaving the dressing room. You can't treat people like that and not expect repercussions just because you treat a select few players like royalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

sabat wrote: »
    I think he's gone full-on bat**** crazy over the last year, like he's forgotten where the public persona he created ends and where the real Jose begins. For the sake of his mental health I hope he takes a long break from the game after Chelsea sack him.

Do you expect Cheisea will eventually sack him? I think it's a bit off that yet surely?

In the future he very well could as he was damn close before to joining.

He's not my cup of tea I wouldn't like him at the club simple as.

Maybe I am delusional but that just my opinion and many other fans would share the same view I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He had gone a bit nuts at Real, to be honest.

Knex. wrote: »
    He had gone a bit nuts at Real, to be honest.

Yes poking tito in the eye and the overall venom he added to the barca and real rivalry wasn't nice to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Do you expect Cheisea will eventually sack him? I think it's a bit off that yet surely?

I'd say he's about 3 more bad results away from being shown the door.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I think hes an absolutely detestable human being. I'll never forget the Anders Frisk incident. Playing games with Ref's lives and career because he lost a match.
    Theres no debating his success, as an Inter "fan" I thought he did amazing at the club (Diego Milito, remember him? :p ) and is great with his players so yeah, at his actual job, hes one of the best in the world. Its just such a pity that he turns everything into a pro-wrestling bad guy angle when he loses and stamps his feet like a child. Him and John Terry are my two most hated active guys in football, which is great as Chelsea is my most hated team even without them in it :) (Russian gangster money. Success built on the blood of innocent people. Trophies worth that much?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Anything can happen in football. I wouldnt want him at Liverpool either, would find it hard to root for him. I never liked the guy, to me he always had a nasty side, even during his first spell in the PL. The narrative was different then so he got away with it, an example of which would be his comments about Ronaldo's working class background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

All football careers end in failure (well, except Alex Ferguson who quit as a PL winning manager), but with Mourinho his careers end much more frequently. He is clearly a foxhole manager - he gets the team believing they are under siege and under attack and generates performances. But he seems to lack the basic capacity of managers like Ferguson to maintain that belief over extended periods of time. Fergie managed to convincingly portray United as besieged underdogs throughout their greatest period of success to the people that mattered - the players.

Mourinho seems to lack the finesse to be able to do the same. He clearly tries to be magnanimous in defeat the odd time, but its not natural to him and he is not as skilled as Fergie in pretending to be.

Even the Chelsea dressing room are growing immune to the Mourinho tricks at this point - I think going at the medical staff crossed a line. You can piss outside the tent, but you should never piss inside it. Players might accept public criticism for being poor, but its unlikely they will be as forgiving about criticism of support staff they have a connection with. It seems clear Mourinho is on borrowed time at Chelsea and is feeling the pressure. His treatment of Matic in particular was shocking - that kills the morale of a player, and ultimately the dressing room will rally to the player. The manager can play that game from a position of strength, but Mourinho doesn't have that strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jose is running out of top clubs to manage, and would need to be careful not to annoy those at Chelsea too much. Perhaps it has already gone too far, as it appears the players have stopped playing for him.

He would never get the Barca job.
    Don't think Bayern would ever entertain him.
    He really wanted the Utd job, but his attitude and personality didn't fit, don't think it ever will. I think Ancelloti will be the next Utd manager.
    Of the rest of Europe's elite/big clubs, that leaves PSG, Man City, Milan, Juve. I'd say all these would probably take Jose.

Outside of them, maybe a big pay day in Turkey or Qatar for him?

He was refreshing for a long time, but now he's just a pain. His treatment of the doctors at Chelsea lost him a lot of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

BMMachine wrote: »
    I think hes an absolutely detestable human being. I'll never forget the Anders Frisk incident. Playing games with Ref's lives and career because he lost a match.

Frisks problems had nothing to do with Mourinho. He had a diabolically bad game and some chelsea fans sent him death threats. I'm not sure how you can attribute that to the manager, regardless of what comments were made. He didnt threaten to kill him.

The eye gouging incedent is a much more salient example of the man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement