Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line speed capped at 3.5mbps after switching to eir?

Options
  • 06-10-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

After limping along with Sky broadband for over a year, I was all but happy to switch back to eir when an engineer was in the area one day carrying out upgrades and stopped by our house to persuade us to come back. He explained our exchange had been recently upgraded and we would now be able to get 10mbps download speed at our address, this sounded attractive and he appeared quite helpful and genuine so we made the switch. 
    After setting up the new broadband about a month ago I have found it to be less than satisfactory. The speed seems to be capped at a consistent 3.50mbps down and 0.3mbps up. This happens on all devices, no matter how many are connected. I know that our line is capable of handling more as I used to get ~3.7 - 3.9 with Sky. The only thing I've found to be helpful is the relatively low ping, ~30ms.  Is there a reason for this cap? When can I look forward to receiving the promised 10mbps down?
    Also, the router will occasionally drop connection to the DSL exchange which is proving to be quite an inconvenience.
    I'm about 3.5km from Carrignavar where a fibre cabinet went live about 2 months ago and about 2km from another planned cabinet, CNV1_001, any date for when this will go live? Or even when work will begin on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Wait, you believed what an 'engineer' told you at your doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PaulRyan97

degsie wrote: »
    Wait, you believed what an 'engineer' told you at your doorstep?
    Seemed believable, the lines were being upgraded, there were Eircom vans around for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Moved house recently and have gone from eircom to upc, best decision ever. I now have more reliable, faster and cheaper internet win win :pac: 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    After limping along with Sky broadband for over a year, I was all but happy to switch back to eir when an engineer was in the area one day carrying out upgrades and stopped by our house to persuade us to come back. He explained our exchange had been recently upgraded and we would now be able to get 10mbps download speed at our address, this sounded attractive and he appeared quite helpful and genuine so we made the switch. 
    After setting up the new broadband about a month ago I have found it to be less than satisfactory. The speed seems to be capped at a consistent 3.50mbps down and 0.3mbps up. This happens on all devices, no matter how many are connected. I know that our line is capable of handling more as I used to get ~3.7 - 3.9 with Sky. The only thing I've found to be helpful is the relatively low ping, ~30ms.  Is there a reason for this cap? When can I look forward to receiving the promised 10mbps down?
    Also, the router will occasionally drop connection to the DSL exchange which is proving to be quite an inconvenience.
    I'm about 3.5km from Carrignavar where a fibre cabinet went live about 2 months ago and about 2km from another planned cabinet, CNV1_001, any date for when this will go live? Or even when work will begin on it?
    Hi PaulRyan97

If you would like to PM me your eir account number I will be happy to look in to this in detail for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I haven't got any bill as of yet so I don't know my account number, is there anywhere else I can find it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    I haven't got any bill as of yet so I don't know my account number, is there anywhere else I can find it?
    No worries PaulRyan97

The land line number or specific address will do for now

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement