Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found something strange regarding my flat on PRTB registered list.

Options
  • 06-10-2015 11:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just checked my apartment on the list of registered tenancies.

My apartment is a 2 bedroomed apartment. But the published list says "1 bedroom and 2 bed spaces."

What does this mean? Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

sangsung wrote: »

My apartment is a 2 bedroomed apartment. But the published list says "1 bedroom and 2 bed spaces."

The house I am renting is known (as all others in the rather small estate) as a three-bedroom house. There is a large living room downstairs as well as a kitchenette, and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. There is a third room downstairs which was always used as the "adult" bedroom when the estate was first build a good bit back.
    It's also labelled as a two-bedroom house with three bed spaces. The third "bedroom" is not what most would ever use as a bedroom as it faces right onto the street and is connected to the front door of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"2 bed spaces" means the bedroom is big enough for two people. I'm not sure the difference is a huge issue.

Is your second bedroom particularly small?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can you tell if the second bedroom is an original feature. I know some people who've turned a one bedroom apartment into a two bedroom one by putting up a stud wall. The rooms mightn't meet council/fire safety standards so cannot be advertised as a two bedroom property. Could this be the case? Also happens in houses where people convert the attic to make an extra bedroom but cannot legally call it a bedroom because of access requirements not being met.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Why does it matter? It could easily be a typo or a mistaken entry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Some apartments were originally described as 1 bed with study. The reason being that the "study" was too small to qualify as a bedroom. Nevertheless thes rooms were almost invariably used as bedrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭sangsung

OP here. That's what I was thinking - it may have been one bedroom before. As one of the bedrooms is ridiculously small. I basically have to shimmy around the bed as if I was walking on a skyscraper ledge like the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

April 73 wrote: »
    Why does it matter? It could easily be a typo or a mistaken entry.

If the LL puts the rent up and you want to take a complaint to the PRTB about the new rent being higher than market rent - then the market you are comparing to will be different for 2brm vs 1brm.

If this were to happen it would be advantageous to the OP to have the apartment listed as a one bedroom property, as the market rate would be lower.

April 73 wrote: »
    If this were to happen it would be advantageous to the OP to have the apartment listed as a one bedroom property, as the market rate would be lower.

The landlord has just increased the rent by the way, by €100/month. Where would one find the market rate?

Also, why would a landlord register a 2 bed as a 1 bed? Other than it being an honest mistake. Which I doubt it is. How could you mistake the number of rooms in an apartment you own. His construction company also built the apartment complex.

Rent index says €888 for a two bed. One bed is €665. We're being charged €1,050.

• Advertisement

Where did you get the rent index figures from?
    Check Daft for your area & see what similiar places are going for as a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also, why would a landlord register a 2 bed as a 1 bed? Other than it being an honest mistake.
    It is mostly likely a lack of attention to detail.

Advertisement