Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old iPad

• 07-10-2015 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share...
    After upgrading to the most recent ios, the wifi on my elderly iPad was completely greyed out. I phoned Apple, and followed their instructions, resetting network settings, eventually resetting the whole device and connecting to iTunes to reinstall IOS9. Still no joy. So they are replacing it. I'm getting a brand new iPad. Apparently, Irish customers have a 6 year warranty. I still can't believe my luck.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Result :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You jammy so and so.

The amount of old ipads going to be upgraded now is gonna be huge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

ive an ipad2, can i get a new one!!!! :)

i probably need paperwork. I dont have. I bought it 2nd hand :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

My Ipad is that old it wont update any more. iOS 5.1.1 is most it will update to.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    After upgrading to the most recent ios, the wifi on my elderly iPad was completely greyed out. I phoned Apple, and followed their instructions, resetting network settings, eventually resetting the whole device and connecting to iTunes to reinstall IOS9. Still no joy. So they are replacing it. I'm getting a brand new iPad. Apparently, Irish customers have a 6 year warranty. I still can't believe my luck.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
    Did they happen to mention if it's a known issue? I've been afraid to upgrade my aged ipad in case the wifi slowed to anymore of a crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I bought a refurbished iPad 2 direct from Apple.
    The wifi on it now is utter rubbish.
    Are refurbs warranty the same?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

iggy wrote: »
    I bought a refurbished iPad 2 direct from Apple.
    The wifi on it now is utter rubbish.
    Are refurbs warranty the same?

Should be, Apple give one year on them like the new ones. They also allow APPs to be bought for them, so it should be the same. I'm shocked they gave this 6 years without a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That's very odd.

The 6-year warranty is an EU law and requires the customer to prove that the fault existed at the time of purchase. The fault is only assumed to have existed at the time an item was bought if it's reported in the first six months (Apple's own warranty extends similar protection to 12 months).

Not like Apple to replace after 5 years, but hey, who's complaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Great result, can you imagine Sony or Samsung doing that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sdanseo wrote: »
    That's very odd.

The 6-year warranty is an EU law and requires the customer to prove that the fault existed at the time of purchase. The fault is only assumed to have existed at the time an item was bought if it's reported in the first six months (Apple's own warranty extends similar protection to 12 months).

Afaik all that clause really means in practice is that the seller isn't obliged to help you narrow down the problem, i.e. since the burden of proof is on you, they don't have to prove that it's not hardware fault. They can just say "oh it's a software problem or you aren't using it correctly" and shrug their shoulders. Which is why most people have to go the small claims route to get any satisfaction. The OP's issue is a pretty obvious hardware problem, though, which is probably why Apple were so easy to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
    Did they happen to mention if it's a known issue? I've been afraid to upgrade my aged ipad in case the wifi slowed to anymore of a crawl.

Nope - they didn't say anything like that, nor would I expect them to...:D

I got my new iPad yesterday. It came in a box, without a charger or earphones, and the booklet which accompanied it was titled 'Your Replacement iPad', which leads me to believe that they must replace a good few of them.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Nope - they didn't say anything like that, nor would I expect them to...:D

I got my new iPad yesterday. It came in a box, without a charger or earphones, and the booklet which accompanied it was titled 'Your Replacement iPad', which leads me to believe that they must replace a good few of them.

So you'll have to buy a new charger cable then to work on the later ipad model refurb ? Or did they send you an older refurb that works with your old cable?

Good result, delirah for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

is it a new model iPad? or a like for like replacement

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

There is no 5 year old iPad that can run iOS9, a 5 year old iPad would only be 1st generation, which can only run iOS5.

Why are you lying OP?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sdanseo wrote: »
    That's very odd.

Not like Apple to replace after 5 years, but hey, who's complaining!

It's not an EU law, it's the Irish Sales of Goods, and supply of services Act. This goes beyond the remit of the EU regulation, which gives 2 years warranty against the retailer. Unless OP bought his from the AppleStore directly its is very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 mocathain

whiterebel wrote: »
    It's not an EU law, it's the Irish Sales of Goods, and supply of services Act. This goes beyond the remit of the EU regulation, which gives 2 years warranty against the retailer. Unless OP bought his from the AppleStore directly its is very strange.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

mocathain wrote: »

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

I believe he's making the point that while Directive 1999/44/EC gives a two year guarantee, in fact it also specifically states that
    3. Unless proved otherwise, any lack of conformity which
    becomes apparent within six months of delivery of the goods
    shall be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery unless
    this presumption is incompatible with the nature of the goods
    or the nature of the lack of conformity

To my knowledge, nothing in Irish law gives any greater protection other than the extension of the period in which a consumer can expect repair, replacement or refund to six years - but only subject to the conditions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

What exactly did you say to them OP? I have a 4S and its wifi and bluetooth have stopped working. I have tried a factory reset and updating to iOS 9 but after googling it, a hardware fault due to overheating appears to be the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Think I'd like to see some proof on this. iOS 9 can not be installed on the first iPad. Which came out 5 years ago on 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's more likely that the op updated an iPad 2 to the latest iOS and perhaps got the years wrong.

Probably not lying just unaware.

Advertisement