Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with building Granny flat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Sorry a bit OT but while there is an accommodation shortage in Dublin, no one is well served by every howya throwing up a glorified shed in the back garden, connecting it with a tent and charging €999.99 a month for it.

While there is no suggestion the OP is thinking of doing this (or filling the back garden with shipping containers, portacabins, mobile homes, or Tipis) it has to be understood that the 'crisis' needs to be resolved while adhering to proper planning standards.

Completely agree man , there needs to be a standard no doubt.

But what I was saying was this 'No planning permission for any stand alone units' is too extreme as well.

If the space is there for people , the buildings regs, H & S commitment and general fit out is of a good standard then I can't see an issue with it.

I can only speak for myself but if I do fire ahead with this my build will be done to a high standard regardless if I decide to rent it out, and if I did rent it out I wouldn't try and take the blood out of tenants either , It's just not in my personality I'd charge a fair rent because that's what I believe in. I wouldn't feel right charging 1200 a month for a small space like that, some would say more fool me but I think if more people tried to be fair and did this with a few new well designed spaces rent would start dropping overall.

I know supply and demand and all that , but we are a mean mean nation in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are three planning applications for "retention of garage to rear of property for domestic use" on our road. All new arrivals to the area as houses recently sold. I am unsure what exactly "domestic use" means in this context, nor am I sure that it must only be used as a playroom games room type of thing, or if a separate application would be needed for it to be used as a dwelling. There is access to the rear from a driveable laneway. So it would be a model!

We are all keeping an eye on them as every house on both sides of the road has some sort of garage at the end of our very long gardens. I use mine as a garage and storage.

This is in SDCC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There are three planning applications for "retention of garage to rear of property for domestic use" on our road. All new arrivals to the area as houses recently sold. I am unsure what exactly "domestic use" means in this context, nor am I sure that it must only be used as a playroom games room type of thing, or if a separate application would be needed for it to be used as a dwelling. There is access to the rear from a driveable laneway. So it would be a model!

We are all keeping an eye on them as every house on both sides of the road has some sort of garage at the end of our very long gardens. I use mine as a garage and storage.

This is in SDCC.

They can be enjoyed as domestic use ancillary to the use as the main dwelling but would be stipulated as non habitable. So games room, home office, gym etc

One recently here in Dublin was conditioned to have the shower removed and revised drawings submitted for agreement. Followed by a visit from the planning enforcement officer to ensure it complies. That's just one example though.

Like it or lump it, grant flats have to be connected to the main dwelling some how.

Advertisement