Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Spotify privacy policy and Vodafone contract

Options
  • 07-10-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm a reasonably content Vodafone customer, but an unhappy Spotify customer.

Yes I understand that though the recent changes to Spotify's terms & conditions won't actually grant them unfettered access to my phone unless I grant them access on a case by case basis (photos, contacts etc) I still think it's a bit cheeky and don't forget these T&C's do theoretically constitute a legal contract.

I also think their response of "if you don't like it you can stop using our service" is a bit scummy, and if they're saying that now who's to say that in the future they won't hobble the app if I don't give them access to the areas they desire?

So I've got Apple music now and after some experimentation it seems "good enough" and I'm ready to stop using Spotify's service. But the problem is, my subscription is paid through my Vodafone bill.

What does this mean in terms of my contract with Vodafone? I know from other discussions that if a service provider changes their T&C's within a contract period you're entitled to opt out of that contract.

But what if, as part of that contract the service provider provides you with a service through a third party (in my case Spotify) who's T&C's change? Does that also have a follow-on effect on my contract with Spotify?

Ultimately what I want is to keep my Vodafone subscription "as is" except for the Spotify bit, but at the same time if Vodafone won't do that for me am I entitled to walk away from my contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: As you've posted the same question in the Talk To Vodafone forum I'll let them answer your query as they're best placed to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: Thread reopened at OP's request as he wants to discuss what consumer rights generally apply in such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jumbo wrote: »
    Yes I understand that though the recent changes to Spotify's terms & conditions won't actually grant them unfettered access to my phone unless I grant them access on a case by case basis (photos, contacts etc) I still think it's a bit cheeky and don't forget these T&C's do theoretically constitute a legal contract.

I also think their response of "if you don't like it you can stop using our service" is a bit scummy, and if they're saying that now who's to say that in the future they won't hobble the app if I don't give them access to the areas they desire?

All it's for is for features, either new, or existing, within the app, such as sharing playlists amongst people in your contacts, or adding a photo as a cover to a playlist you created etc.

Most apps you use in that vein asks for similar, just a big deal out of nothing was made out of Spotify being upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

Yeah but I don't actually *pay* a monthly fee for those apps .. when you pay for something you expect to not be mined.

And "if you don't like it you can stop using our service" is quite disingenuous. Particularly seeing as I actually can't! (except by the good grace of my mobile operator :) )

I was wondering why the deal was so good: €5 a month plus 500mb extra; they obviously wanted a non-churnable subscriber population ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But you're not being mined. You're giving Spotify permission to access those things so that certain features can be implemented.

I don't get the pricing point you're making, you don't like this in an app you pay a subscription for, but have no issues with free apps having such authority?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Usually these permissions are simply box ticking as you will find that someone has challenged the explicit ins and outs of sharing a song or playlist to other social media outlets.

If you don't share or enable visibility of your playlist history then the app won't go looking for the access, but you have permitted it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

Thanks guys. Both valid opinions. Neither of which is really answering my question. But thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

jumbo wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Both valid opinions. Neither of which is really answering my question. But thanks!

Not entirely sure about the question.

If you are not happy with the T&C of Spotify you should stop using it. Can you delete the app off the phone?

Advertisement