Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Facebook pages worth anything?

Options
  • 07-10-2015 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is in the right place.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with selling Facebook pages, i will be finishing with one soon that has 9K like and I am just wondering if it is worth any money or should I just close it down?

It is a wedding store/rental type page

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Are they 9k genuine likes or were some of them purchased?

I'm not sure if its worth much to be honest as you have no idea how many people see any of the posts due to Facebook's page t&cs. They like you to pay for ads if you want people to see stuff you post!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

Are they 9k genuine likes or were some of them purchased?

I'm not sure if its worth much to be honest as you have no idea how many people see any of the posts due to Facebook's page t&cs. They like you to pay for ads if you want people to see stuff you post!!

Yes some of them are paid for via Facebook advertising but it would have been advertising targeted specifically at people who had an interest in wedding items (& in Ireland)

just not sure if it is even worth advertising and seeing if anyone wants to take it

Cant put it up at the moment because have no idea if it is worth €1 or €1000 so dont want to look silly by making up a price so just trying to see if anyone on here has been in a similar boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The amount of likes is really going to be the last thing people are going to want to know if they are interested in buying it. People are going to be more interested in your conversion to date via Facebook and the page reach. If you can show a decent conversion and if you're average reach for a post is 700+ then you could get some interest. If you can't show a decent conversion figure and your average reach is closer to 200 then not sure people are going to be getting very excited by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To be honest for businesses on FB they have to pay have posts shown to any meaningful audience size.
    So a page with 100 likes and a page with 9000 likes will both have to pay to have posts delivered to punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Are FB pages transferable?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Can it be done yes, you just add the other person as an admin and then get them to remove you and then you unlike the page which relinquishes any ownership and access to the page.

Do FB allow or want you doing it, no.

Section 4.9 - not without permission from facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

That will impact on how saleable they would be, so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

They are always worth something if you have high engagement on the page, and follow on conversions / sales / custom.

However, as with any marketing channel that one was once new and shiny but has since greatly matured, they are on their way to reaching saturation point and FB is a pay to play medium now. If you want likes and if you want people to see your content, you're going to have to pay.

pedronomix wrote: »
    That will impact on how saleable they would be, so.

There is a pretty established market for it now guessing people are more than aware of the risks in doing it. Once an account is approved for a $5k+ daily budget its price jumps up too. Apparently the trading market is the cause for all those annoying omg like this page and win an iPhone posts you see. They get the likes up and then sell the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Amanda7326

Would anyone have a very rough approximation of what it would be worth?

Likes 9,011
    Weekly Reach this week 3,944

I know its hard to put a figure on things like this but just trying to see if it would be even worth advertising it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Amanda7326 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a very rough approximation of what it would be worth?

Likes 9,011
    Weekly Reach this week 3,944

I know its hard to put a figure on things like this but just trying to see if it would be even worth advertising it?

I'm going to be borderline rude and say it is probably worth nothing.

Unless you have a brand page or a business that you are selling a facebook page on its own is valueless like this. The likelihood of an individual being successful with a brand page transfer or retaining ownership is slim to none too.

If you are looking to sell the 'followers' as a going concern what is there to say that they will be interested in the purchasers business?

For example if it is followers and page title you are selling I could buy it and merge with my existng page so I gain 9k followers. Yippee I haev more followers. But what stops all these 9k from unfollowing once they realise what has happened.

I can only presume that you are looking at a similar business to buy and merge with their page? In this case because of the similarity of product or interest you have to consider the overlap in followers. There is no way to establish that your 9k are unique to you and that it's not in fact 3k that are unique.

Also to give perspective. One of the pages I admin has the following report from this week on organic posts coming from an engaged follower base:

365053.png

It would also be virtually impossible to say that this engagement is worth anything as the conversions are not tangible (unless directed to a website with tracking scripts - paid for ads)

AKW wrote: »
    I'm going to be borderline rude and say it is probably worth nothing.

Unless you have a brand page or a business that you are selling a facebook page on its own is valueless like this. The likelihood of an individual being successful with a brand page transfer or retaining ownership is slim to none too.

If you are looking to sell the 'followers' as a going concern what is there to say that they will be interested in the purchasers business?

For example if it is followers and page title you are selling I could buy it and merge with my existng page so I gain 9k followers. Yippee I haev more followers. But what stops all these 9k from unfollowing once they realise what has happened.

I can only presume that you are looking at a similar business to buy and merge with their page? In this case because of the similarity of product or interest you have to consider the overlap in followers. There is no way to establish that your 9k are unique to you and that it's not in fact 3k that are unique.

Also to give perspective. One of the pages I admin has the following report from this week on organic posts coming from an engaged follower base:

365053.png

It would also be virtually impossible to say that this engagement is worth anything as the conversions are not tangible (unless directed to a website with tracking scripts - paid for ads)

The locations of the Audience would also be interesting to see.. If they are mostly from the typical "like farm" locations then its definitely worthless.. Not much use to say an Irish business if the likes are 99% from the Philippines :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

_Brian wrote: »
    The locations of the Audience would also be interesting to see.. If they are mostly from the typical "like farm" locations then its definitely worthless.. Not much use to say an Irish business if the likes are 99% from the Philippines :rolleyes:

Excellent point.

The missed point for so many with social media is quality over quantity when it comes to audiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 MLM Sharon

How many of your likes are from Dublin/Ireland?

MLM Sharon wrote: »
    How many of your likes are from Dublin/Ireland?

You asking me or OP, me 97% Irish.

To be honest the number of Likes on a business page means nothing at all, they are of no actual use, and with buying likes so cheap and allowed by FB a page with 000's of likes means nothing..
    When a FB business page makes a regular post it will be shown to essentially nobody who likes the page, just a token number, I wonder why FB even show it to such a small number at all..

What matters for reach with FB posts from a business page is how much you're willing to pay to have the post delivered.. At that stage you're better choosing the exact demographic that you want the ad delivered to rather than some random group of people who have liked the page.. possibly from a like farm if they were paid for..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Axwell wrote: »
    Can it be done yes, you just add the other person as an admin and then get them to remove you and then you unlike the page which relinquishes any ownership and access to the page.

Do FB allow or want you doing it, no.

Section 4.9 - not without permission from facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

I'm nearly certain that pages cannot be renamed once it has over 200 likes and a manual request to do so must be done and even then it must not have been changed before (even adding a word / letters counts as a name change)

Not really sure what that has to do with my post? We are talking about change of ownership, not change of name..thats a whole different situation.

Not really sure what that has to do with my post? We are talking about change of ownership, not change of name..thats a whole different situation.

I think they must be assuming that once someone has taken ownership of a page that they will want to rebrand it. As you say thats a whole other matter which isn't really what is being discussed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

If I was to buy a page I would want to change the name, if I cant change the name it is worthless to me and I would assume to 99% of other potential buyers I would guess.

That's why I raised the point

There are tricks out there which apparently allow you to bypass that 200 limit issue if someone really wanted the page. But changing the name and rebranding wouldnt be the best idea, people have liked that page based on the business/service or product if they are genuine likes. You cant just inherit the followers and likes and then assume people will just accept this new business appearing on their timeline sharing content. Once people realise they havent a clue who this business is on their timeline they will unlike the page. The only way it works is if you are in the same type of business and can merge the page with your business to benefit from it or that the person is selling the page as part of their business - website, facebook page the whole lot together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭edward2222

Amanda7326 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Hope this is in the right place.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with selling Facebook pages, i will be finishing with one soon that has 9K like and I am just wondering if it is worth any money or should I just close it down?

It is a wedding store/rental type page

If you plan on selling the page that has 9k likes,
    I'm afraid no ones gonna buy it.
    Buying of facebook page starts @ 100k likes.

If you plan in using fb page for marketing of your product,
    if you just know how to do SMO probably 9k likes will do.
    youll gonna generate some page views and will gain reputation
    if you just keep your page updated. Join groups where you
    can reach your target market, post helpful articles,
    traffic will come and so the profit :)

Advertisement