Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny Shamrock Fit 4 Life Series starts Oct 14

Options
  • 07-10-2015 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

ATTENTION RACERS!!!

Raheny Shamrock's FIT 4 LIFE League starts next Wednesday 14 Oct! All races in the series are 2 miles. ALL welcome. Suitable for beginners -- if you want to try racing come along.
    This is a 6-week series of 2 mile races -- do them all, or dip in and out. (You can sign up for one race or all six - I'll add the price once I know, but it's always cheap).
    Tea and biscuits and prizes (M & F) in the clubhouse after. Sign up next Wednesday in the clubhouse from 7.15 on.
    ALL WELCOME (you don't have to be in a club)! BRING YOUR FRIENDS!!

see www.rahenyshamrock.ie for location etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What's the definition of "beginner" in this context? Must be a few ringers showing up every week? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

can't do tonight but would def like to give this a shot for the other 5 weeks, is it 8pm start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

MurphD, you don't have to be an actual beginner, but it's beginner-friendly, in that there will always be a couple of people doing their first race there, and some of the runners do Fit 4 Life training together.

There'd be a good range of speeds, from 6 min milers to 9 or even 10 min milers. Here are some results from last year to give you the idea:

http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/results/1001-fit4life-2-mile-round-3

http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/results/1019-fit4life-round-6

you would have more experienced people coming down just to get a race, but you'd be unlikely to have men running who could break 10 minutes (they save that for the Winter League in November :-))

Firedance, race starts at 8pm at Wade's Avenue, sign up in the clubhouse from 7.15, then people jog over to start to warm up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I enjoyed that tonight, thanks for letting me know about it Helen. Small crowd unfortunately but very well organised and a nice flat loop and a good atmosphere. Good way for me to knock off some rust.
    I plan to come back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Only stumbled upon this now. Go on then, how did you get on? Beautiful evening.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Only stumbled upon this now. Go on then, how did you get on? Beautiful evening.

you mean after I told you where to find it? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh no, I found it before, just after you mentioned it the first time. So technical savy still with boards.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I enjoyed that tonight, thanks for letting me know about it Helen. Small crowd unfortunately but very well organised and a nice flat loop and a good atmosphere. Good way for me to knock off some rust.
    I plan to come back next week.

Delighted to hear that! Really glad you enjoyed it! I love that loop, probably because I know it so well.
    Numbers should get bigger after the marathon and towards the beginning of the Winter League, as people start to sharpen up for that.
    I completely intended to come down & cheer / watch, but we finished our session earlier than I though, so I would have been lurking about in shorts in the cold for ages. I'll try to make it down next week.
    Results aren't up yet, hope you won!!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that! Really glad you enjoyed it! I love that loop, probably because I know it so well.
    Numbers should get bigger after the marathon and towards the beginning of the Winter League, as people start to sharpen up for that.
    I completely intended to come down & cheer / watch, but we finished our session earlier than I though, so I would have been lurking about in shorts in the cold for ages. I'll try to make it down next week.
    Results aren't up yet, hope you won!!

No such luck!! The coveted winner's kettle was picked up by one of the locals. I was lucky that despite the small numbers I had 2 other guys around the same standard as me to race against so I got a good workout.
    It looked like there was a good race for the lead lady as well.

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh no, I found it before, just after you mentioned it the first time. So technical savy still with boards.

You want to get up and test out your MaxHR next week Aquinn ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    No such luck!! The coveted winner's kettle was picked up by one of the locals. I was lucky that despite the small numbers I had 2 other guys around the same standard as me to race against so I got a good workout.
    It looked like there was a good race for the lead lady as well.

how small were the numbers? were there many at the lower end of the scale?? (i.e. my level!)

Firedance wrote: »
    how small were the numbers? were there many at the lower end of the scale?? (i.e. my level!)

There were about 12-15 I think and you would definitely have gotten a good race.

Results up! Well run all:

http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Results up! Well run all:

http://www.rahenyshamrock.ie/results

I would be tempted to do this, other than I don't it fit in anywhere at this stage with my half marathon prep. I think I need to focus on getting my weekly mileage back up and getting my LSRs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hopefully will get down to one of these soon. Always seem to be injured when these are on. Not next week but maybe the one after that. If nothing else I'll burn off a few calories!

The Fit4life 2015 2 mile series has now begun with the full fixture below. Races start at 8pm with registration between 7:15-7:45 at Raheny Shamrocks clubhouse. Entry is 7 euro per race or 30 for the series. Entries and inquiries to Pat Hooper (0868158052) or Christy Reilly (0868543344).
    Round 1 Wednesday 14th October
    Round 2 Wednesday 21st October
    ... Round 3 Wednesday 4th November
    Round 4 Wednesday 11th November
    Round 5 Wednesday 18th November
    Round 6 Wednesday 25th November

This is on again tonight! All welcome!

This is on again tonight! All welcome!

must.resist.temptation. next week for sure!

REMINDER: There is no Fit 4 Life Race next week (28 Oct), to allow marathon runners some recovery time!

Fit 4 Life Race Series starts again tonight after its post-marathon break last Wednesday:

The Fit4life 2015 2 mile series has now begun with the full fixture below. Races start at 8pm with registration between 7:15-7:45 at Raheny Shamrocks clubhouse. Entry is 7 euro per race or 30 for the series. Entries and inquiries to Pat Hooper (0868158052) or Christy Reilly (0868543344).

Round 3 Wednesday 4th November
    Round 4 Wednesday 11th November
    Round 5 Wednesday 18th November
    Round 6 Wednesday 25th November

• Advertisement
Advertisement