Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP Now

Options
  • 07-10-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi all,

I purchased a long term package plan from GP Now and have just received the following letter today in the post - see attachment.

On their website they state:

GP NOW benefits

With a GP NOW membership you can ensure that you and your family have the peace of mind of being part of an innovative way to protect your health. Join the revolution in GP care.

Unlimited GP visits
    No extra or hidden charges
    Modern, private medical centre
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Administration of vaccines included
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination

Are they able to just change their T & C s or am I entitled to keep what I was offered in the first place? What are my options here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes, they can change the T&Cs and if you don't accept those changes you should promptly terminate the contract. You can't force them to maintain your current benefits. Your options are to accept the changed benefits or leave.

http://www.gpnow.ie/terms-and-conditions/
    11. ALTERATION OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
    These Terms and Conditions may be varied by GPNow from time to time and you will be given one month’s written notice by GPNow. If, having been notified of the amendments, you do not wish to continue the Contract, you may terminate it in accordance with Clause 8 above. If you do not so terminate by the time said notice expires, you will be deemed to have accepted the variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes, they can change the T&Cs and if you don't accept those changes you should promptly terminate the contract. You can't force them to maintain your current benefits. Your options are to accept the changed benefits or leave.

http://www.gpnow.ie/terms-and-conditions/

Suppose last month I paid x Euro for a y year membership and then they change the TCs (as they have done). I need to see the doctor and require a prescription and a doctor's note (a hit of 30 euro each time it is required) whereas a member who pays monthly pays 18 euro for as much usage as he wants with no extras added. Am I reading this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It says if you've paid upfront for a year there is no change.
    Only applied to long term plans

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Son of a gun

Hi, I am also a long term package member of GP Now and received one of these letters too. I am 3 years into a 10 year plan.
    I am wondering if I am entitled to a refund if I choose not to accept their new terms and wish to cancel? Or where do I stand on that does anyone know?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shivconnery

I'm in the same boat, on a 10 year plan and just got the letter. <SNIP> If I have to pay 30 quid for a prescription and dr's note I'd prefer to go elsewhere and see a decent doctor. If anyone gets a refund let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I was with them for a couple of years but I found that I couldn't rely on appointment times and the reception staff were extremely rude on more than one occasion. The doctors changed most times I visited (not just rotating from one to another: actual high staff turnover). I was seeing a lot of people worrying about their changes and decided to get out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I was with them for a couple of years but I found that I couldn't rely on appointment times and the reception staff were extremely rude on more than one occasion. The doctors changed most times I visited (not just rotating from one to another: actual high staff turnover). I was seeing a lot of people worrying about their changes and decided to get out.

I completely agree with your assessment. I only really use it as a place to get a cert or prescription as it is useless for anything else. The "doctors" are not interested in listening to you and just want to get you out of their office as soon as possible. I remember going once about tendonitus of the knee and asked him what would be the best way to manage it. He replied that he was not sure but I could Google it if I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

In fairness, I had a 'regular' doctor tell me to Google a problem / treatment recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I am a member of GPNOW and have been happy with the service provided, however, the service has changed over the years. Opening hours have been changed (the clinic in Swords no longer opens on a Saturday) and clinics have opened and closed (Portmarnock, Cork and Galway)

I would contact a solicitor immediately regarding the change in terms and conditions as they do not seem to be reasonable and they are a material change to what you signed up for

While the charges for the flu shot and blood tests don't seem that unreasonable as they actually cost money every time they are done the charges for the prescriptions and sick notes are totally unreasonable

The directors are probably hoping that people on long term contracts will cancel their contracts rather then pay the fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jahalpin wrote: »
    I am a member of GPNOW and have been happy with the service provided, however, the service has changed over the years. Opening hours have been changed (the clinic in Swords no longer opens on a Saturday) and clinics have opened and closed (Portmarnock, Cork and Galway)

I would contact a solicitor immediately regarding the change in terms and conditions as they do not seem to be reasonable and they are a material change to what you signed up for

While the charges for the flu shot and blood tests don't seem that unreasonable as they actually cost money every time they are done the charges for the prescriptions and sick notes are totally unreasonable

The directors are probably hoping that people on long term contracts will cancel their contracts rather then pay the fees
    Going to a solicitor is overkill. Write to GONow and tell them that you wish to cancel, with a refund, as the terms have changed. Do so promptly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

In fairness, I had a 'regular' doctor tell me to Google a problem / treatment recently.

That's dreadful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

jahalpin wrote: »

Alternatively, you could read the terms and conditions yourself and save yourself solicitors fees.

Also, its not a "material change".

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mipo

I have asked them now to cancel and the amount I will be refunded but they have not responded as yet. Has anyone heard anything more?

Thanks

mipo wrote: »
    I have asked them now to cancel and the amount I will be refunded but they have not responded as yet. Has anyone heard anything more?

Thanks

What email address did you send your request to?

I sent it to:
    membership @ gpnow . ie
    Had some contact there before . They have not responded so sending them a tracked letter today.

I have a feeling that people who have paid upfront are going to be shafted like those in Cork

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/hundreds-left-out-of-pocket-as-gp-clinic-closes-268023.html

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

There's a sign up in my GP now clinic saying that they are now charging €10 for printing anything up to 5 pages. Anything exceeding 6 pages will be €20. I don't understand how they can say they've had to bring in measures as they've lost patients. I can hardly ever get an appointment when I need one and now they don't open on Saturdays anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Just got my letter. I signed up to the 5 year plan a few months ago for €800, having previously being a monthly customer. Before I contact them has anyone heard back from them regarding cancelling etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just got my letter. I signed up to the 5 year plan a few months ago for €800, having previously being a monthly customer. Before I contact them has anyone heard back from them regarding cancelling etc?

Don't wait to hear how others got on. If you want to cancel you need to contact them as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Only opened it when i got home from work so I'll ring tomorrow. Just curious as it'd be nice to hear what they are saying to others and being prepared for that

• Advertisement

I contacted them immediately by email and after a reminder they have acknowledged my email and said that the relevant department will respond as soon as possible.

I am following up again tomorrow.

I would love to hear how others are getting on.

mipo wrote: »
    I contacted them immediately by email and after a reminder they have acknowledged my email and said that the relevant department will respond as soon as possible.

I am following up again tomorrow.

I would love to hear how others are getting on.

I sent them an email today and am waiting for them to get back. I gave them a timeframe of 5 days to respond. I also headed it as an official complaint. Will update as soon as I receive anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vercity

cmssjone wrote: »
    Hi all,

I purchased a long term package plan from GP Now and have just received the following letter today in the post - see attachment.

GP NOW benefits

With a GP NOW membership you can ensure that you and your family have the peace of mind of being part of an innovative way to protect your health. Join the revolution in GP care.

Unlimited GP visits
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination

Are they able to just change their T & C s or am I entitled to keep what I was offered in the first place? What are my options here?
    I have sent them emails and no reply. A Ann

Hi all,

GP NOW benefits

Unlimited GP visits
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination

We have contacted consumer goods rights and they are are looking into it. It going to feature on Joe Duffy today

Suppose last month I paid x Euro for a y year membership and then they change the TCs (as they have done). I need to see the doctor and require a prescription and a doctor's note (a hit of 30 euro each time it is required) whereas a member who pays monthly pays 18 euro for as much usage as he wants with no extras added. Am I reading this right?
    Yes it's a complete rip off the. I have phoned emailed no answer I want my money back

delahuntv wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could read the terms and conditions yourself and save yourself solicitors fees.

Also, its not a "material change".

It is a change to what he signed up for. I think the small claims court is the only answer before they go bust

No news as yet it's going to be on Joe Duffy today

Hi, I am also a long term package member of GP Now and received one of these letters too. I am 3 years into a 10 year plan.
    I am wondering if I am entitled to a refund if I choose not to accept their new terms and wish to cancel? Or where do I stand on that does anyone know?
    Thanks
    I have phoned email no answer it's going on Joe Duffy today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: @Vercity, you don't have to respond to every post asking if anyone heard anything. One post is usually enough to get your point across, posters can read that. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I received a reply today which said they were forwarding it on to the relevant department. Has anyone managed to get any further correspondence than this generic reply so far?

Advertisement