Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

I received a further email yesterday from feedback@gpnow.ie stating that they would be in contact early next week. Will update when I am contacted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mipo

I got the "passed to the relevant department " email a week ago and have asked again for a response.
    Nothing further as yet. Will let you know when I hear something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Vercity

Has is now made any response. To their breech of contract.I have phoned me emailed only get the girl at reception. Saying that they are dealing with it and will be sending out a statement. We have contacted consumer rights it's important that we all do the same .my wife has contacted Joe Duffy and sent all her documents to them and they want to feature it on the show. If a few of us phone the show they would feature it. If we don't have any results we all have to take a case with the small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mipo

I received the same notification that I would be contacted early this week but still silence in the end.

Getting worried now about it all certainly I am not waiting any longer for them to decide their response .

They have show a lack of respect for the patients by trying to change the conditions of membership soon after taking an upfront payment and are compounding that with their ongoing silence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hate to say it but if something sounds too good to be true it usually is !
    The GP "market" has been altered irrevocably by the extension of free GP care for u6 and over 70s and TBH the long term viability of their business model was always questioned.
    If it doesn't suit simply get out and stop throwing good money after bad.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    The GP "market" has been altered irrevocably by the extension of free GP care for u6 and over 70s and TBH the long term viability of their business model was always questioned.
    if we could get our money back do you not think we would and run away from these guys

RobFowl wrote: »

That's exactly what people are trying to do. Someone may have signed a 10 yr up front deal 2 months ago for say €1000, believing that was all they would have to pay for said period. Now if they need a sick note and a prescription they have to pay €30 each time for the service. However, people who are paying monthly (€18 pm) do not have to pay any extra for any of these services.

Is this a big change to the contract? Yes. Is it unfair on the people who have paid upfront? Yes. As stated before, I find their service terrible and if I think that I have anything wrong with me then I will go and see an alternative practice as I have no confidence in the doctors that they use. Their only use is that they do provide certs and prescriptions for free (or did).

It is still on their website that they provide:

With a GP NOW membership you can ensure that you and your family have the peace of mind of being part of an innovative way to protect your health. Join the revolution in GP care.
    Unlimited GP visits
    No extra or hidden charges
    Modern, private medical centre
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Administration of vaccines included
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination
    Open Saturdays and late night Wednesday

This is blatantly incorrect given the correspondence received by many of their long term members and the assertion that payment will be required for services outlined above.

It is not the long term subscribers' fault that GP Now is in financial difficulty with regards in the change in policy re free health for children. They are still offering long term deals to new subscribers knowing full well that they can not deliver on the above promise. This is immoral and wrong.

cmssjone wrote: »
    That's exactly what people are trying to do. Someone may have signed a 10 yr up front deal 2 months ago for say €1000, believing that was all they would have to pay for said period. Now if they need a sick note and a prescription they have to pay €30 each time for the service. However, people who are paying monthly (€18 pm) do not have to pay any extra for any of these services.

Is this a big change to the contract? Yes. Is it unfair on the people who have paid upfront? Yes. As stated before, I find their service terrible and if I think that I have anything wrong with me then I will go and see an alternative practice as I have no confidence in the doctors that they use. Their only use is that they do provide certs and prescriptions for free (or did).

With a GP NOW membership you can ensure that you and your family have the peace of mind of being part of an innovative way to protect your health. Join the revolution in GP care.
    Unlimited GP visits
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination

This is blatantly incorrect given the correspondence received by many of their long term members and the assertion that payment will be required for services outlined above.

It is not the long term subscribers' fault that GP Now is in financial difficulty with regards in the change in policy re free health for children. They are still offering long term deals to new subscribers knowing full well that they can not deliver on the above promise. This is immoral and wrong.
    Just phoned membership team 9056000 management are there but refuse to to take calls say they are going to block my number. I would suggest that that we all keep phoning. Until we get a response. They just keep fobbing me off

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

Rang the membership team Friday. She said that management had a meeting during the week regarding everyone cancelling and it'll be next week by the time we hear. I asked to talk to management but she said I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Unlimited GP visits
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination

They weren't providing the certs and prescriptions for free, they were providing them to a customer who has a legal agreement with them to provide these as part of the deal

I'd say the reason the management are refusing to talk to people is that they have discussed this with their solicitors and they have probably informed them that they have a contract with the people who prepaid which cannot be broken unless both sides agree with the onus being on the part that is being disadvantages i.e.. customer.

Having it in the terms and conditions that the T&C's can be changed after people have paid is not fair to the customer and is unlikely to stand up in court

A couple of years ago, Ryanair offered "free flights for life" to customers for being x passenger, they tried to change the T&C to severely curtail the number of flights that the person could take for free, it went to court and the court found on the side of the customer.

Regarding the free gp care for under 6, there is a notice in the Swords office which says that they have been awarded a contract for providing GP Care for under 6s

• Advertisement

I have had no further correspondence from GP Now and have sent them another email stating that, unless I hear from them by the end of the week, I will be commencing a case against them via the SCC. I will keep you updated if and when I am contacted. Has anyone managed to have any meaningful contact with this crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I ran into trouble with them last year not providing services they initially said were included. I got fobbed off for months that they just couldn't get me an appointment with the appropriate doctor.

I cancelled my membership and made a formal complaint, and they still took my money for another 2 months. They're a shower of chancers who it would seem do not fall under any regulatory body as a business. I asked dozens of times for a refund for the months after I had cancelled but nothing, I kept being told they were investigating. For me, it wasn't worth a trip to the SCC. However I wish anyone who takes them there well!

I have an email address for the director of services, so if anyone would like it feel free to PM me.

I have had no further correspondence from GP Now and have sent them another email stating that, unless I hear from them by the end of the week, I will be commencing a case against them via the SCC. I will keep you updated if and when I am contacted. Has anyone managed to have any meaningful contact with this crowd?

I phoned membership no yesterday and. Told no one to talk to me and they would send email to <SNIP> would contact me. As far as I can see it's keeping us on hold so we do nothing. Have contacted consumer rights and they have handed it over to their consumer regulatory department. I don't feel confident that that they will contact you .let me know if you get a response thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bapc

I totally agree with the comments about staff and change of doctors. Although they are pleasant to deal with, because they are generally from South Asia or Africa they are not easy to understand. You will rarely see the same doctor twice and that is not because they have lots, its because they don't stick around. I believe they a poorly paid.

The difficulty is I am only 2 years into a 10 year membership, these charges just pace the way for them to charge whatever they want for whatever they want. I paid €1000 for a service which included prescriptions (and all the other things). A prescription is not an additional service, its all part and parcel of a consultation. I wouldn't go to the doctor if I didn't need something to get me better!!!

Para 5.2 in their terms also state that any increase or decrease in prices will be reflected in the renewal - this is not a renewal for those who have paid upfront. I think its the end of the line for GP Now!! Get your refund and run!!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm surprised people went with this service, if it seems to good to be true then it is.
    In this case having plans that last 10 years is just insane as so much can change within that time in relation to inflation, government policy's etc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm surprised people went with this service, if it seems to good to be true then it is.
    In this case having plans that last 10 years is just insane as so much can change within that time in relation to inflation, government policy's etc

Not particularly constructive regarding the matter at hand tbh. The reality is that people were marketed these plans and did choose to pay a lot of money upfront in good faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Instead of holding , people should be doing as Vercity has done and complain to consumer rights. It will let them build a bigger case.
    SCC should also be started for €25.

Instead of holding , people should be doing as Vercity has done and complain to consumer rights. It will let them build a bigger case.
    SCC should also be started for €25.

I am lodging an SCC claim this morning online. There are 6 GPNow derivatives that come up on the CRO website search. Do I use the business GPNow (Sandyford) or do I use the GPNow Ltd based in Navan as the respondent?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I am lodging an SCC claim this morning online. There are 6 GPNow derivatives that come up on the CRO website search. Do I use the business GPNow (Sandyford) or do I use the GPNow Ltd based in Navan as the respondent?

Thanks
    Name the holding company and the limited company that you attend.
    Suspect administration or liquidation may be in the offing. Afaik that's what happened with the portmarnock branch.

• Advertisement

Thanks
    did you lodge your claim with small claims court. Is there much difficulty with it. Is there anything I can need to know. As I would like to do it also. I was talking to consumer rights and they more or less said that we should be make a claim. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its very easy but costs €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Check first if the SCC covers disputes between patients and their GPs, you are not a consumer in this case, you are a patient. Medical procedures and services are not covered by the Sale of Goods and Services Act. No point in wasting another €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Vercity wrote: »
    did you lodge your claim with small claims court. Is there much difficulty with it. Is there anything I can need to know. As I would like to do it also. I was talking to consumer rights and they more or less said that we should be make a claim. Thanks

I have lodged my claim with the SCC and am now waiting for a response. As suggested I named both the GPNOW branch that I attend and also the GPNOW Ltd which has an address based in Meath.

I will let you know when I receive notification from the SCC regarding the matter.

Has anyone been able to contact gp now today and just get mail box. Has any body got any contact from management in from headquarters. I have had no luck today .they are supposed to let us know today what is happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Vercity wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to contact gp now today and just get mail box. Has any body got any contact from management in from headquarters. I have had no luck today .they are supposed to let us know today what is happening

Are you guys related?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

I was on to the membership line and there was no update around 4. I've been told three different days when I'd know and I'm still in the dark.

Also have they changes their benefits on the website? It now says SOME of the many included benefits of our GP NOW membership:

Private Consultations
    Repeat Consultations
    Family Consultations
    Smear Tests
    Blood Tests
    Child Inoculations
    Urinalysis
    Annual Flu Vaccination
    Administration of vaccines
    Antenatal Care – 8 Monthly Visits
    For a full list of services provided click here.

Was it always this way? Could they be taking the stance than only some of these are included in case people bring them to the SSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

they have now shut down on saturdays in swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

2Shae wrote: »
    they have now shut down on saturdays in swords.

Ye that really pissed me off.it was one of their main selling points.they do however have long opening hours during the week which are really handy
    I was with them since they opened and found it to be an excellent service.

The only issue I had was trying to contact them to downgrade my membership.couldnt get in touch through phone or email do just gad to cancel in the end

Advertisement