Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 30), Oct 9-10

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Congrats Dundalk, see you in Ferrycarrig next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Your taking the piss and just delighted to win a game yeah? Its only been 5 years?

We dominated the ball with kids and you scored on a counter and well 2nd one debatable, i was far away. My fav Ref moment was when Murphy cleaned out Byrne and we didnt even get a throw, then when he cleaned out Bayly you got a throw :D But hey we get someone sent off........

We played the LOI ref game with kids vs an awful bohs team who could barely pass to each other and lost. Im actually annoyed we lost to a team like that.

I dont think Bucko is the man to teach the team to be dirty timewasting ***** like everyone else we play.

I actually wish we were a dirty team...we too ****ing soft.

You are the master of delusion. Where you even watching the game last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Now now boys put the handbags away. Today is not a day for fighting. Today is a day for hailing the best team and coaching staff in Ireland. A team who have climbed up from rock bottom to the very top of the mountain in just three years.

They say good teams win leagues and great leagues retain the title. In Dundalk we always knew this was a great team but now the whole country world knows it. Just one defeat all season so far in the league. An FAI Cup final to come. A young team who play without fear and never ever give up. Even when they're not at the races like last night's game they nearly always find a way to avoid defeat. That's no fluke.

Woke up this morning with the 'Two in a row and we won it in Tallaght' chant ringing in my head and a huge smile on my face and I won't lie there was also a wee boner there as well. What brilliant scenes last night when word filtered through that that our useless neighbours had finally done something right this season. Going to sit back and watch the last ten minutes and celebrations now and take it all in. Who knows how long this will last. These days need to be cherished.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dundalk were pretty poor last night as the game wore on. Kilduff was used as someone to lump the ball up to. Such a soft penalty to give away after the hard work.

But the league wasn't won last night and the table doesn't lie, congratulations Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

We are an absolute disgrace. Most years I'd be hoping to for once achieve some continuity but this year we need a complete overhaul from start to finish.

Get an actual manager in rather than someone who got the job based on being a nice bloke who is popular in the club, and start making the most of the fact that we do seem to continually provide a few players each year that are able to go straight into First Division football.

We're always going to be a low-budget club at this stage so we need someone who can make something with little.

Just a word to the Shels players from last night. Thanks for the guard of honour and applauding our team on to the pitch last night, it was appreciated

Just a word to the Shels players from last night. Thanks for the guard of honour and applauding our team on to the pitch last night, it was appreciated

Pity they couldn't have had the same amount of pride in their own performances. Disgraceful from 2 to 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pighead wrote: »
    In Dundalk we believe in fairness

Fairy stories, more like.

CSF wrote: »
    Pity they couldn't have had the same amount of pride in their own performances. Disgraceful from 2 to 11.

Your keeper was in fine form alright. Wasn't easy for Shels last night. It reminded me of our 1st game of the season to the new boys, Cabinteely. The event was always going to overshadow the game itself. We had fringe player eager to prove to the boss that they are worth a spot next year, while having nothing to lose at the same time.

It is generally accepted within the club that when we used our 'get out of jail free' card at the last match in Tolka, it was the catalyst for our winning run ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Waterford's mascots are all dressesd as superheroes. :pac:

CQ-hJwBWIAAc4gy.jpg

Your keeper was in fine form alright. Wasn't easy for Shels last night. It reminded me of our 1st game of the season to the new boys, Cabinteely. The event was always going to overshadow the game itself. We had fringe player eager to prove to the boss that they are worth a spot next year, while having nothing to lose at the same time.

It is generally accepted within the club that when we used our 'get out of jail free' card at the last match in Tolka, it was the catalyst for our winning run ever since

Jesus I didn't even realise it was your fringe players that hammered us. Sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Jesus I didn't even realise it was your fringe players that hammered us. Sick.

There were 6 changes to our previous starting XI. Willie Tyrrell and Jimmy Dermody came into the back four. Think this was Tyrrell's second start only
    (signed from Longford mid-season), good player but not as good as the lad he replaced at all. John Peare and Conor English also came in and haven't made many (if any) starts so far this season. English is a great prospect, had a superb game against Bohs in pre-season and showed that quality again last night. John Peare isn't bad at all but needs to build himself physically a good bit IMO.

There were 6 changes to our previous starting XI. Willie Tyrrell and Jimmy Dermody came into the back four. Think this was Tyrrell's second start only
    (signed from Longford mid-season), good player but not as good as the lad he replaced at all. John Peare and Conor English also came in and haven't made many (if any) starts so far this season. English is a great prospect, had a superb game against Bohs in pre-season and showed that quality again last night. John Peare isn't bad at all but needs to build himself physically a good bit IMO.

I could have lived happier without knowing this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Longford 1-0 up

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Elding rescues a point for Sligo in the 90th minute.

• Advertisement

2000:...
    12109093_990868167623634_1461068526065349324_n.jpg?oh=dc3523693ed01b487cba5f0e408a5f18&oe=56D1A7C9

2015:...

12088262_990868004290317_1797849236693743713_n.jpg?oh=5d6cc3475bd9f66f7539d0ec1e989d76&oe=569D0A76

Thanks Mick :)

Mick Wallace shouldn't be paraded anywhere given the money he stole from the country, but fair play to Wexford nonetheless.

I still remember their first year in the First Division, because it coincided with the first year of our long spell in the First Division also. I know we did spend 2 years in the Premier Division in the meantime aswell as an FAI Cup final, but I'd still have to say that given 2 clubs who were essentially starting from nothing, Wexford have developed significantly on and off the pitch, the better of the 2 and are well deserving of the Premier Division place.

Interesting to see if Wexford can stay up now, I think much of that will depend on whether Furlong can be kept or if one of the Premier Division bigger clubs will be chasing the services of him after his almost 30 goals this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

kksaints wrote: »
    Elding rescues a point for Sligo in the 90th minute.

Don't think a point is enough to be honest. Think we'll go down now, or if we are lucky we'll grab the playoff spot.

Strangely, I think our best shot at picking up any more points is against you lot in Dublin. I don't see us getting anything off Bohs or Limerick.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Don't think a point is enough to be honest. Think we'll go down now, or if we are lucky we'll grab the playoff spot.

Strangely, I think our best shot at picking up any more points is against you lot in Dublin. I don't see us getting anything off Bohs or Limerick.

Possibly our form is rotten since August, but I think we will get enough points to hold onto fourth.

You can pretty much guarantee Danny will be staying with us for at least another year. He's passed up a lot of fantastic opportunities already, he's a Youths man and he will want to be there for our big year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You can pretty much guarantee Danny will be staying with us for at least another year. He's passed up a lot of fantastic opportunities already, he's a Youths man and he will want to be there for our big year.

Rumours a few weeks back that Dundalk want him.

Rumours a few weeks back that Dundalk want him.

Wouldn't be surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Felt a bit sorry for Furlong when he was down here for the year, when everything was going on in his life. However, at times he did look overawed by centre halves and there was quite a few matches where he didn't get a sniff in games and was hauled off. I think Wexford in the Premier is a good fit for him, but would be surprised to see him go somewhere like Dundalk.

Danny will get offers, as he does every year. The reason he stayed with us last year was down to the vision that our manager, Shane Keegan, outlined to him at the start of the season. A lot will depend on the Club's plan going forward and that goes for a couple of our other players too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Danny will get offers, as he does every year. The reason he stayed with us last year was down to the vision that our manager, Shane Keegan, outlined to him at the start of the season. A lot will depend on the Club's plan going forward and that goes for a couple of our other players too

A lot will depend what other clubs might offer him. If Dundalk, Pats, Rovers or Cork really want him the will likely get him as there is no way Wexford can compete financially.

I'm sure Kenny has been watching him and is not afraid to sign players from first division of they are good enough so we'll wait and see. A lot will depend on who is staying. Kurtis Byrne looks the only certainty to be moved on

doncarlos wrote: »
    A lot will depend what other clubs might offer him. If Dundalk, Pats, Rovers or Cork really want him the will likely get him as there is no way Wexford can compete financially.

I'm sure Kenny has been watching him and is not afraid to sign players from first division of they are good enough so we'll wait and see. A lot will depend on who is staying. Kurtis Byrne looks the only certainty to be moved on

He has been fairly disappointing for Dundalk it looks like from outside the club. Have Dundalk fans expected more from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

He has been fairly disappointing for Dundalk it looks like from outside the club. Have Dundalk fans expected more from him?

Tons of ability, but disappears in games. He was very good in 2013 but has been a bit player since Daryl Horgan came to the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He was excellent in 2013, just ok last year.

Hasnt got a look in this season, was very surprised to see him come on Friday night.

Ive never seen a man who divides the support, 1/2 think he is very good while the other 1/2 think he is lazy/not good etc...

Will be an excellent player for any team in the league IMO. Only thing he lacks is pace (He is slower than Hoban, and thats saying something)

doncarlos wrote: »

You're assuming that the financial side is the key with Danny, which is not the case. He works in Wexford, loves living in Rosslare, playing for The Youths and his local GAA club

Now, the prospect of European football and medals is another issue altogether and he is an ambitious young man. He may not turn that down

You're assuming that the financial side is the key with Danny, which is not the case. He works in Wexford, loves living in Rosslare, playing for The Youths and his local GAA club

Now, the prospect of European football and medals is another issue altogether and he is an ambitious young man. He may not turn that down

Ah throw enough money at anyone who isn't already very well off and it becomes hard to reject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Congrats to Dundalk on a dominating season, Kenny has done an unreal job there. Looking forward to the cup final now, if Ireland can beat world champions Germany at the Aviva, theres no doubt Cork City can beat Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ah throw enough money at anyone who isn't already very well off and it becomes hard to reject.
    but an LOI club will never throw enough money at a player that they can be set for life. If Furlong is in a good paying, secure job it could be very hard to leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

CHealy wrote: »
    Congrats to Dundalk on a dominating season, Kenny has done an unreal job there. Looking forward to the cup final now, if Ireland can beat world champions Germany at the Aviva, theres no doubt Cork City can beat Dundalk.

You might be over-stating the gap between the two teams. :p

Over a season, I think the table shows Dundalk are a better team. However, in a one off game, it's a pretty even match.

Over a season, I think the table shows Dundalk are a better team. However, in a one off game, it's a pretty even match.

I think in the games over the last two years Dundalk have shown they have City beaten physically and mentally, but I'm hoping the underdog tag will suit us more. The worst thing that happened to Cork City last season was only needing a draw in the final game up in Oriel, while I think Dundalk would have won anyway, it didnt help that Caulfield set them up to sit back and hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dundalk are a step ahead of City, but in one off game never know.

Hopefully Cork bring good crowd and plenty neutrals turn up.

Dundalk are a step ahead of City, but in one off game never know.

Hopefully Cork bring good crowd and plenty neutrals turn up.

Bandwagon should be big for this one, I got my ticket in the club shop awhile ago and there was a queue. I've had fellas onto me already about tickets who havn't been at a game since the last cup final in 07. Cork folk love a good bandwagon to surf the wave on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CHealy wrote: »
    Bandwagon should be big for this one, I got my ticket in the club shop awhile ago and there was a queue. I've had fellas onto me already about tickets who havn't been at a game since the last cup final in 07. Cork folk love a good bandwagon to surf the wave on.

Who doesnt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You might be over-stating the gap between the two teams. :p

From our starting 11 (14 if you include the 3 positions that can/have been changed around)
    Rogers
    Gannon Boyle Gartland Massey
    SOD/Shields
    Mennan/Mountany Towell Finn Horgan
    McMillan/Kilduff

id not take 1 Cork player over any of them!

Thats not to say, they wont beat us in the final but id be fairly confident as apart from the game in Oriel after we played BATE, we have beaten them each time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im not exaggerating or being pessimistic by saying CCFC are going to make up the numbers. I honestly cannot see us getting within 2 goals of Dundalk, much less actually winning.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    but an LOI club will never throw enough money at a player that they can be set for life. If Furlong is in a good paying, secure job it could be very hard to leave it

The handy life that is a well-paid full-time footballer would be pretty difficult to resist IMO, but I suppose it's a life I've no real experience of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

gimmick wrote: »
    Im not exaggerating or being pessimistic by saying CCFC are going to make up the numbers. I honestly cannot see us getting within 2 goals of Dundalk, much less actually winning.

You are being pessimistic. It's a final. Anything can happen. If you feel like that, stay at home. I hope for a fully committed performance from city, if that happens, we have every chance of winning. That said, Dundalk are rightly favourites, but favourites don't always win, especially in cup finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »

Two league meetings between the sides this season ended with one draw and Dundalk winning 1:0.

Nobody is buying your attempt to put pressure on Dundalk. :)

Dundalk probably favourites 60:40.

Advertisement