Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Missing for Landlord account

Options
  • 07-10-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi

I have paid by direct debit rent to landlords account. Landlord is now claiming that 6500 euro has not been paid. I am not handing over my bank statements to my landlord as was asked.
    But landlord claims that some payments not all payments were received. And that this is just being noticed now sense april.

I am very suspicious of this. I have phoned my bank and have a meeting with the Accounts Manager tomorrow to take a look at this but I have no rent book and the landlord has never (even after being asked) provided receipts. I have emailed threshold and not heard back (in fairness only about 10a this morning)

Was wondering if there was any advise thoughts anyone has?
    I am not looking to cause trouble if the money didn't make it to the landlord I need to track it down but am I required to hand over my bank account to my landlord? As proof? I am current with rent this is a back rent issue. As stated from april for several month that is just now being "caught"
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

Did you lodge the money directly into the LL's account or transfer it from your account?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why not just show him the bank statements?

You could clear the entire thing up in 10 minutes rather than messing about with bank account managers and threshold.

Show him the statements and redact every line other than your rent going out.

You are paying by direct debit which leaves a comprehensive paper trail, it is unlikely your landlord is trying to swindle you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What's the problem? Print out your bank statements and cross out everything but the evidence of rent payment with a big black marker. Assuming your statements show a transfer and not just a withdrawal.

I had an issue with my first rent payment to my current landlord but I spotted it before it went out of hand. It turned out that the letting agent had put the wrong bank account details on the standing order form that they gave me. You might want to double-check that the same thing didn't happen to you. If it did, you're relying on the good will of the other person to give you the money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConfusedNow13

I have sent the bank statements redacted as suggested as I thought that would sort it out asap. However that wasn't good enough LL want the "unaltered" statement.

I am not trying to mess about I just don't understand why this was supposedly an issue sense April and this no a huge issue.

• Advertisement

I transfered it is there a difference in that and lodging it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have sent the bank statements redacted as suggested as I thought that would sort it out asap. However that wasn't good enough LL want the "unaltered" statement.
    They should take a hike! Why is the onus on you to prove you sent the money? Maybe you should ask for the landlord's statements? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I transfered it is there a difference in that and lodging it?

No, I meant that that didn't just show a cash withrawal of the relevant amount with no indication where it ended up.

oh it show the last few digits of the LL account and their name. But apparently it is not acceptable to the LL
    I want to handle it rationally and as I said if the money has gone missing or to wrong place i need to locate it but I can't afford to double pay

Tell him to feck off, what goes on in your bank account is none of his concern. Generally I'd be inclined to refuse to show even a redacted statement but in this instance I would to clear it up. If he wanted the full statement he would be told where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Go in to your local bank branch.

Ask them for a printout of all transactions to the landlord account, and a full printout.

They can print the transaction in full, showing the account the money is coming from, the account it is going to, with the date and amount, and they will stamp it as a bank certified document.

If that isn't good enough for him, then there is nothing more you can do, and you should tell him to take it up with his bank, since you sent the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I am not trying to mess about I just don't understand why this was supposedly an issue sense April and this no a huge issue.

LL has no entitlement to an unaltered statement, or any statement for that matter. Confirm with your bank what account the payments went into, then confirm that is the account you were told to make the lodgements into. Provide answer to LL, then its up to him to chase with his bank.

LL has no entitlement to an unaltered statement, or any statement for that matter. Confirm with your bank what account the payments went into, then confirm that is the account you were told to make the lodgements into. Provide answer to LL, then its up to him to chase with his bank.

You would imagine that if some of the payments are being received that OP has the correct details.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You would imagine that if some of the payments are being received that OP has the correct details.

Yes good point, assuming the OP uses a saved transaction and isnt entering it manually every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op are you paying by standing order each month or are you manually transferring it by electronic transfer?

To be fair, the LL could show his statements showing that it was not received. If he has requested an unredacted statement, he may be looking to see if the transfer bounced back into your account if the recipients details were incorrect. As all payments are above board (not cash) it seems unrealistic that the LL would be chancing his arm, there may be a simple explanation for this and don't discount a mistake on the bank's part.

I do save the information but also make sure to check it everytime. I am just so confused and really afraid. I don't want to lose my home over this but I paid in good faith.

I do save the information but also make sure to check it everytime. I am just so confused and really afraid. I don't want to lose my home over this but I paid in good faith.

So you manually transfer the money each month?

I do direct debits not a standing order as I want the rent paid before the 1st of the month. Does this make a difference in how it foes to the LL account?
    Also is it really possible the bank made an error this large?

Yes manually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Barker152

So you have shown statements to the landlord which show the correct amount being debited from your account and the landlords account as transferee for the dates in question?

If so, why is the landlord asking for the full statements? Has he/she given a reason for this? There is no chance the money 'bounced back' into your account?

I do direct debits not a standing order as I want the rent paid before the 1st of the month. Does this make a difference in how it foes to the LL account?
    Also is it really possible the bank made an error this large?

What you are being asked is, do you log into your back account each month and transfer the money by entering the LLs details into the relevant boxes and pressing send, or did you set up a standing order when you moved in to pay the rent on the same date every month therefore you never have to log in to your account to pay, it's goes out each month automatically?

Yes manually

I'm afraid if you have to manually type in all the details each month, the margin for error has increased over a standing order which automatically goes out the the same account each month, one wrong digit or letter means the funds will not transfer. If the LL can show on his statements that you did not transfer the funds, you have a real issue.

davo10 wrote: »
    I'm afraid if you have to manually type in all the details each month, the margin for error has increased over a standing order which automatically goes out the the same account each month, one wrong digit or letter means the funds will not transfer. If the LL can show on his statements that you did not transfer the funds, you have a real issue.

But the Bank will be able to clarify this for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

davo10 wrote: »

Any online banking system I've used allows you to save account details, so it's not like the OP has to put in the details manually each time. He/She would just have to select the landlord's account, so unless they've actually chosen the wrong account (e.g. sending it to a friend, relative etc), there's no increased margin of error (in terms of the recipient details, you could enter the amounts incorrectly). Based on the fact that the OP has said the statement shows the last few digits and the name of the landlord, it seems highly unlikely that he/she has chosen the wrong saved account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Somethings not right...

Is your landlord saying he has never received rent from you or that you have just missed a few months?

Log in to your online banking and look at the saved details of his bank account. Verify that against whatever you were given, and if that is correct then contact your landlord and ask him to confirm those are his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Paulw wrote:
    They can print the transaction in full, showing the account the money is coming from, the account it is going to, with the date and amount, and they will stamp it as a bank certified document.

It's up to you to prove that you paid the money. Just show him your bank statement showing the rent going to his account. Job done.

Greyian wrote: »
    Any online banking system I've used allows you to save account details, so it's not like the OP has to put in the details manually each time. He/She would just have to select the landlord's account, so unless they've actually chosen the wrong account (e.g. sending it to a friend, relative etc), there's no increased margin of error (in terms of the recipient details, you could enter the amounts incorrectly). Based on the fact that the OP has said the statement shows the last few digits and the name of the landlord, it seems highly unlikely that he/she has chosen the wrong saved account details.

Agreed, it should be easy from both sender and recipient to show money was sent/received by payment logs and statements but as another poster said, something isn't right here and I doubt a LL would be messing around like this unless the money genuinely did not reach his account, he would know it should be easy for op to prove it was paid so maybe it's a mistake by bank.

• Advertisement

It's unlikely to be a mistake by the bank, these things are not manual on their side I don't think.

Either the landlord has made a mistake looking at his accounts (unlikely for a figure of over 6k), or the OP has been sending payments to the wrong account.

Really the OP needs to ask the landlord for their IBAN and BIC and compare that to what she has saved in her online banking. If they aren't the same then the problem has been found and the OP is going to have to go on the merry dance of trying to get their money back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement