Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Missing for Landlord account

Options
167891012»

Comments

It's also the OP's fault for not getting rent receipts from the landlord each month. The OP shares the blame for poor book-keeping here. Get a receipt in future.

Who gets rent receipts in this day and age when paying by bank transfer? Virtually nobody I would wager as they aren't necessary, the proof is the transaction on his bank statement which he has shown but the LL is obviously an idiot as he wont accept the blatant proof in front of him.

Once the op shows the money left his account and had the correct destination account then its out of his hands and its either the banks problem or the LL's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Who gets rent receipts in this day and age when paying by bank transfer?

Once the op shows the money left his account then its out of his hands and its either the banks problem or the LL's problem.

The LL has no power to demand the money from the OP's bank. If the bank has screwed up then it's the OP's problem.

Clearlier wrote: »
    The LL has no power to demand the money from the OP's bank. If the bank has screwed up then it's the OP's problem.

The LL needs to prove he didn't receive the money and also it could be the LL's bank at fault not the ops bank. If either bank or the LL is at fault its not the ops problem its either the banks jobs to sort out (if given the proof no money was received) or the LL problem if he wont/cant prove he didnt receive money from the op. Once the money left the op's account with the correct destination account details the op can not be liable for paying any money to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The ball is in the landlords court. He needs to show more than a spreadsheet to support his claim that he didn't receive the money.

It's funny that the LL wouldn't except the OP's bank statement yet he can show up with his little spreedsheet.

If the landlord never recieved the money what's his issue with showing a bank statement rather than his little DIY spreedsheet.

The LL needs to prove he didn't receive the money and also it could be the LL's bank at fault not the ops bank. If either bank or the LL is at fault its not the ops problem its either the banks jobs to sort out (if given the proof no money was received) or the LL problem if he wont/cant prove he didnt receive money from the op. Once the money left the op's account with the correct destination account details the op can not be liable for paying any money to the LL.

If I owe you 10k and send it to you via bank transfer in front of your eyes with the correct details input and my bank subsequently sends it to the wrong account I still owe you 10k. I'd hope that you'd be understanding and patient but I'd still owe you the 10k until you got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Wrong. No liability attaches to the landlord for taking time to realise rent appears to be missing. The OP doesn't have a receipt for payment to the landlords account.

If you want to have a cast iron way to show the payment was actually made, you make the lodgement in a branch of their bank

I'm not speaking about legal liability. I'm inferring that the landlord needs to take some level of responsibility to sort this problem out. His approach to the entire thing has been nuclear.

The landlord demands unredacted bank statements from the tenant but will only provide an excel spreadsheet in return. And on top of this, the landlord uses intimidation tactics on the tenant and you claim that the OP should just put his hands up and do whatever the landlord wants?

One question you're continuously ignoring is what is the aftermath of showing this unredacted statements if the OP bent over and gave them to him? We're assuming the money did not bounce back (the OP surely would have noticed). So the assumption is that the payments were made, to the correct account and the OP's bank has confirmed that the payments were made.

What else can the OP do? The OPs bank won't act any further.
    Clearlier wrote: »
    If I owe you 10k and send it to you via bank transfer in front of your eyes with the correct details input and my bank subsequently sends it to the wrong account I still owe you 10k. I'd hope that you'd be understanding and patient but I'd still owe you the 10k until you got it.

Completely agree with you. But if I asked to see the last 6 months bank statements including every unrelated payment to prove you sent it and it wasn't returned, despite you showing me bank proof that the payment was sent to the correct account, I'm sure you'd tell me to go and jump :)

I think the majority of the problem here is the landlords approach, rather than the issue itself.

Completely agree with you. But if I asked to see the last 6 months bank statements including every unrelated payment to prove you sent it and it wasn't returned, despite you showing me bank proof that the payment was sent to the correct account, I'm sure you'd tell me to go and jump :)

I think the majority of the problem here is the landlords approach, rather than the issue itself.

Then we agree I think. I still think that the first step is to establish to both sides satisfaction that the payment was made and not received. It seems that it may be necessary to go to the PRTB or at least some independent party to achieve this though as both the OP and the LL believe that they have done enough to prove their own assertions but that the other has not done enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConfusedNow13

Thank you all
    I've gone the PTRB route as not other choice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the OP has now initiated a PRTB case, thread closed. If/when you have an outcome- by all means PM one of the mods and we will allow you update your thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement