Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Missing for Landlord account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Trying not to sound mean here. But if the OP is an confused IRL as comes across in this thread, I can see why the LL wants to see bank statements - to know if there was a transfer out of rent, and then a reversal one or two transactions later when a problem occurred.

I wonder if there is some impartial third party who the LL would trust, who the OP could show the complete statements too? MABS, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Trying not to sound mean here. But if the OP is an confused IRL as comes across in this thread, I can see why the LL wants to see bank statements - to know if there was a transfer out of rent, and then a reversal one or two transactions later when a problem occurred.

I wonder if there is some impartial third party who the LL would trust, who the OP could show the complete statements too? MABS, perhaps?

Where is the confusion the OP said direct debit when he meant bank transfer..doesnt change the information he provided to the LL.. the onus is on the bank to confirm which account the money has gone to and the LL to confirm the details provided are accurate.

Complete statements are not needed..mabs is not needed and providing full statements for a landlord throwing his toys out of the pram without doing due dilligence is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have to disagree. It's perfectly clear to me that the OP pays by transfer every month to the LLs saved account details. Exactly how I pay my own rent. The fact that the LL has received some money but not all suggests that the mistake certainly isn't with the account details the OP has saved. Given that he's already supplied redacted statements to the LL, I'd say the onus is now on the LL to prove that he didn't receive the money .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An investigation? It's just a couple of clicks by the bank, not a big deal.

They call that theft. Definitely can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lol this is the dumbest thing I've ever read tbh

Constructive posts only, please.

Do not responf to this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Not sure why there needs to be 97 conflicting posts in this thread. Log into your online banking, copy the payment references from when you paid the rent and send them to the landlord. He can check them with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConfusedNow13

Back from the Bank.
    I will collect a statement that lists payments out and to what account they went. The bank rep and I could find no error. But he was clear that he can't speak for the receiving bank.
    I in the mean time received two phone calls from the LL demanding a meeting tonight which I can't do as my schedule of work. LL intends to post or drop off a letter of 14 day notice. So if that occurs that and my bank statement and I will head to Threshold or the PRTB.
    I am in shock that this is happening and that LL thinks I would just leave or hand over cash as its such a large some. I spoke briefly with a solicitor whom said that its not a court issue until all other avenues have been exhausted and advised reaching out to a TD. If anyone can clarify Threshold ( I did email still no reply) or the PRTB should be my first stop?
    Thanks for the help, I do see now that the PTRB can't help until a case is brought?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If it gets to the notice of arrears stage I'd call the PRTB straight away. You might have mentioned it up above, but have you been registered with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There seems to be a breakdown in communication between you and the landlord.

You need to have a reasonable chat with them. Tell them you now have a list of all transfers to the account And can you sit down with them or be given a list of payments that they have received. Until you know what payments are being queried you can't possibly get a solution to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Back from the Bank.
    I will collect a statement that lists payments out and to what account they went. The bank rep and I could find no error. But he was clear that he can't speak for the receiving bank.
    I in the mean time received two phone calls from the LL demanding a meeting tonight which I can't do as my schedule of work. LL intends to post or drop off a letter of 14 day notice. So if that occurs that and my bank statement and I will head to Threshold or the PRTB.
    I am in shock that this is happening and that LL thinks I would just leave or hand over cash as its such a large some. I spoke briefly with a solicitor whom said that its not a court issue until all other avenues have been exhausted and advised reaching out to a TD. If anyone can clarify Threshold ( I did email still no reply) or the PRTB should be my first stop?
    Thanks for the help, I do see now that the PTRB can't help until a case is brought?

ask the landlord to see his accounts. you need to match up the corresponding entry to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Have you double checked the bank details you've been paying to with him since he contacted you about this? I don't think you've clarified this here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

davo10 wrote: »
    Not without informing you, and if you had the money in your account in the same bank where you have a mortgage, why wouldn't you be paying your mortgage? Provide a link that allows a bank to take money from your accounts without informing you.

It has yet to be confirmed who is right and who is wrong, that is why the op is going into the bank tomorrow and if it turns out that rent has not been paid to the LLs account, then OP is in arrears and non payment of rent is a cause for eviction.
    Look at the standard terms and conditions (including all the small print) you sign when you open any bank account. Most give a surprising large amount of power to the bank to transfer money between your accounts to cover unauthorised overdrafts, or transfer money from one account which is in credit to another which is in debt. It is surprising how many people sign contracts without reading them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Look at the standard terms and conditions (including all the small print) you sign when you open any bank account. Most give a surprising large amount of power to the bank to transfer money between your accounts to cover unauthorised overdrafts, or transfer money from one account which is in credit to another which is in debt. It is surprising how many people sign contracts without reading them.

The bank CAN take the money out, but it is not just a case of you walking into a bank and saying "I paid money to the wrong account" and them clicking a button there and then to refund you.

They have to investigate to ensure you are not trying to cheat the system to get a refund from someone you genuinely owe the money to. They will have to talk to whoever owns the receiving account to see whether they claim to be owed money by you etc, if this happens across-banks then it might take a bit longer as they'll have to contact the other bank who in turn will have to contact their customer.

Back from the Bank.

You need to stop being in shock and surprised etc and take affirmative steps to get this cleared up.

Talking to solicitors etc - you are just wasting your own time. Speaking to a TD will just waste more time. What are they going to do?

Threshold - waste of time
    PRTB - waste of time right now

Ask the landlord for his account details and then verify these details against every single rent transaction you have made. When you've done that, give him the list of transactions verified by the bank.

Get a meeting with your landlord as soon as possible. This will be much easier to clear up in person rather than over the phone. Tell him you have the verified list of transactions and ask him to bring his own documentation with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I in the mean time received two phone calls from the LL demanding a meeting tonight which I can't do as my schedule of work. LL intends to post or drop off a letter of 14 day notice.

The fact he is escalating to this make me think there is something else going on and he just wants you out, I would think, if he is giving you notice based on arrears, when in fact you have being paying that the notice is invalid.

If the person in the bank could find no errors I would assume all payments went to the same account and are of the same amount, so error is on his end, as others have said look for proof from him of no payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

There was one mysterious instance of a bank transfer that showed up in my account two weeks after it had been sent from the other account. It was s fluke but it can happen.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The fact he is escalating to this make me think there is something else going on and he just wants you out, I would think, if he is giving you notice based on arrears, when in fact you have being paying that the notice is invalid.

If the person in the bank could find no errors I would assume all payments went to the same account and are of the same amount, so error is on his end, as others have said look for proof from him of no payment.

How is asking for a meeting escalating anything?

The landlord feels he is out of pocket by 6 grand. Whether he actually is or not remains to be seen but it's obvious he wants to get things clarified and sorted right away which is not unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

If the landlord had received the money, he could wind up getting a hell of a fine for an illegal eviction.

He really needs to cool it and act in a more businesslike manner and just get to the bottom of what sounds like a mixup of some sort.

If you're paying to the correct account, then he's somehow not seeing the funds coming in either due to an oversight or due to something else.

If he gets threatening, suggest you both meet at the bank to discuss it or that you may need to contact your solicitor for advice.

He needs to bring evidence that the funds weren't received too.

This isn't a manual transaction and you can't just "not receive" funds if the bank processes them. The whole thing is logged and is fully traceable and there's a reference for each transaction.

Fingers crossed its just a mixup. If he's pretending he didn't receive funds he's not going to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Back from the Bank.

Did you suggest an alternative meeting or just sit around in shock?
    Suggest an alternative time asap, bring your documentation, tell him to bring his, sit down and sort it out.
    Make it very clear you met the bank and verified the payment details for each month.

Back from the Bank.

Don't be getting into a panic, ring him up and tell him that you have confirmed with the bank that you have not made an error and that he needs to listen to what you are saying and not go running around blindly issuing 14 days notices.

Try to meet him at a time convenient to you, at the end of the day its him requesting to meet so he should be the one willing to meet when ever you can rather then he expecting you to go out of your way to meet him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

After reading all 3 pages, I still haven't got a clear understanding of what's going on. It's hurting my brain.

Don't be getting into a panic, ring him up and tell him that you have confirmed with the bank that you have not made an error and that he needs to listen to what you are saying and not go running around blindly issuing 14 days notices.

Don't even need to mention notices.

"Hi, please can we meet asap? I have an official list of rent transactions here that have been verified by my bank and can show you payments made. Please bring your own official documentation and bank details along so we can figure out what is wrong."

awec wrote: »
    Don't even need to mention notices.

"Hi, please can we meet asap? I have an official list of rent transactions here that have been verified by my bank and can show you payments made. Please bring your own official documentation and bank details along so we can figure out what is wrong."

Oh I know, that part was just an observation. I wouldn't say anything about notices to him.

Not sitting around in shock.

I asked to me at 2 different times LL refused. Thats when the 14 day notice was mentioned.
    I have provided list of transaction, dates, amount and transaction number.
    LL states not paid and states it is my burden to prove paid.
    So I will get the notice and lodge my own complaint with the PRTB
    I am sorry if some thing I am wasting time.
    I was made aware of this Yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If the meeting does not resolve matters I'd suggest any further discussion with the landlord should only be in writing. Ensure there is a paper trail to show that you have done everything you can to resolve the matter. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Assuming all your payments are in order as confirmed by your bank, if a 14 day notice of arrears is served make sure you respond in writing (and keep a copy) disputing the validity of the notice, disputing the claimed arrears and clearly identifying the payments confirmed by your bank with copies of the payment details obtained from your bank.

As you say, the bank have confirmed the transaction details with you, so I'd be inclined to think the error is more likely to be on the landlord's side.

Tell him the above is proving you paid and that its now up to him to prove he wasn't before going any further.

If the LL wont accept that the money left your account and went to his account even with it written in black and white I dont know what he expects you to do?

Not sitting around in shock.

I asked to me at 2 different times LL refused. Thats when the 14 day notice was mentioned.
    So I will get the notice and lodge my own complaint with the PRTB
    I am sorry if some thing I am wasting time.
    I was made aware of this Yesterday morning.
    Once you show him the official list of verified transactions that shows the correct bank details for each one then the ball is in his court and you can rest easy.

It will then be up to him to prove he hasn't received the money.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

If you send him the evidence from the bank and reference numbers and so on, you've proven you've paid it and those details would stand up in court and the bank would also be happy to authenticate them I'm sure too.

The statements are not relevant at all.

I would be nice and ask him if perhaps he's looking in the wrong account?!

If he's not nice about it, and you've definitely Not paid the wrong account let him send his notice. Then send it to the PRTB with the évidence of payment.

He's going to unleash a whole lot of unnecessary pain and potential legal issues if he's pretending he didn't receive funds. This stuff is very easy to chase up electronically.

By any chance OP do you know if your landlord has multiple properties for rent?

If he does this would increase the chances of an admin error on his side (your rent payments could have been attributed to the wrong property and someone else could be in arrears).

• Advertisement

The only thing that makes me think that this is merely admin and could be cleared up is LL stated I don't check my accounts regularly thats why it took 6 months to notice it.
    Which is what originally raised the alarm with me that nothing would be said of noticed for 6 months

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement