Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Missing for Landlord account

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not outside the realms of possibility that it wouldn't be noticed. He genuinely may not check regularly. We're getting close to tax return time which is probably why it was found now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

awec wrote: »
    Once you show him the official list of verified transactions that shows the correct bank details for each one then the ball is in his court and you can rest easy.

It will then be up to him to prove he hasn't received the money.:)
    the OP has just a list of verified transactions to a particular account

there's nothing to say that that account, belongs to the LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SueA

It sounds like either the wrong account number was provided, or input at transfer time.

Get from your LL the dates that monies were received and then check the discrepancies with your own account and the bank manager.

On day someone put over 100k in my bank account, in error; and it was all sorted out by the bank. The person even sent an apology via the bank.

Tell the LL mistakes happen and can be resolved, you are meeting your bank, ask your LL to confirm the bank account number and name, BIC, IBAN to be used. While at the bank ask them to set this up for you, it will only take a few minutes.

Also, get a rent book, it's your legal right to have one. If the LL won't supply one, get one from Easons and fill it in and ask him to sign it to date. If he won't, chances are he's on some tax fiddle.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that it wouldn't be noticed. He genuinely may not check regularly. We're getting close to tax return time which is probably why it was found now.

If he has a few properties and was taking in a few thousand a month and only glancing over his balance and not going through the transactions themselves its a possibility, its stupid but its possible.

I'd be watching the account rent goes into like a hawk if I had money coming in from tenants, I'm already ocd checking my own current and saving accounts and nothing much happens with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

If he has a few properties and was taking in a few thousand a month and only glancing over his balance and not going through the transactions themselves its a possibility, its stupid but its possible.

I'd be watching the account rent goes into like a hawk if I had money coming in from tenants, I'm already ocd checking my own current and saving accounts and nothing much happens with them.

In fairness the not checking the account for 6 months is far fetched, who operates any sort of business like that?.

Something else is going on here.

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote: »
    the OP has just a list of verified transactions to a particular account

there's nothing to say that that account, belongs to the LL.

No...but they're all the same account, and the landlord has received some payments so therefore it must be the correct account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP do you pay directly to your landlord or via a letting agent?

If you pay directly to the landlord, request a copy of his bank statements for the relevant period, the two of ye sit down side by side with a yellow highlighter and mark off the payments which agree and circle with a red pen the payments which either don't show or the amounts that don't agree. Then send him off to find out how or why the money which left your bank account ok didn't make it into his bank. Are you both with different banks?

BTW is the rent monthly, weekly, or 4 weekly? I have seen cases where people get mixed up with 4 weekly and monthly!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OK here's what I make from reading the last 4 pages...

- The OP pays every month by EFT (online banking) to the LL's account
    - The LL has confirmed they've received these payments previously
    - Now they're saying that some money is missing, but the OP is still using the same account details
    - The OP has been to their bank who have verified the transactions are going out correctly
    - The LL is getting increasingly aggressive over what seems to be a mix-up or error at their side

Bottom line.. let the LL issue notice if they wish. Open a complaint with the PRTB, send them on the supporting documentation from the bank's checks. Wait for the fines to be issued for an illegal eviction.

(By the way.. keep paying the full rent throughout this process exactly the same way as you have been)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

SueA wrote:
    It sounds like either the wrong account number was provided, or input at transfer time.

Eh, no. It's only some payments the LL is saying are missing. If the account details were wrong he'd never have received a penny, which he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It there a tax bill coming up that he needs to pay? And he's stuck for cash and pancaking! Is there a chance that he has more than one property and is mixing you up with another tenant?

Tell the LL you are working with the bank and that the money left your account so you don't have it. But between you him and both your banks this can be solved. Add that you will do everything you can to help him up to the point that he serves 14 days notice, after that he's on his own and you will not help him in any way to solve this but will leave it up the the PRTB.

If he serves 14 days notice after that open a complaint with the PRTB and stand your ground, he'll quickly realize he's not getting his 6 grand and he's got to work with you. At which point sell him back the letter for 50 euros and give the money to charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How is asking for a meeting escalating anything?

I don't mean asking for a meeting, that is reasonable if he believes he is out by 6k, however giving a letter of notice before even meeting to me is escalating it very quick.

Maybe he has be burned before by non-payment and want to start proceeding as quick as possible, but to me a letter of notice of eviction that quick before giving the OP a chance full chance to discuss the situation and after the OP has already given the landlord a statement showing payments made is escalating the situation.

Edit: Hadn't read all replies before replying to you, OP has said they offered 2 times to meet with landlord which would further convince me something more going on. Also fact that they left 6 months without noticing payments while not out of realms of possibilities is definitely strange behaviour and to me points to something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

In fairness the not checking the account for 6 months is far fetched, who operates any sort of business like that?.

Something else is going on here.

A surprising large amount of people actually!
    You'd he shocked at how some people just think about the big picture and pay no attention to the fiddly details.

I'm guilty of this myself too! I often forget invoice my own hours because I just am a bit head in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

No...but they're all the same account, and the landlord has received some payments so therefore it must be the correct account.
    depending on the OP is doing the transfer, if it's setup as a payee, then it's hard to see how it could be wrong, but if the OP is adding the numbers, or relying on browser saved form details , or has updated the details for a payee, he could be transferring the money to his mother, or some other account he's transferred money previously.

All the bank have done is confirmed that the money has gone to a particular account, not who owns that account. In fact, under data protection, they couldn't confirm the owner of the account

Main thing is don't over think it!

Meet, show your evidence and get to the bottom of it.

We've only got evidence of a potential clerical error at one side or the other.

We'll look at where to go AFTER ruling that much out and failing to get a reasonable response.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    depending on the OP is doing the transfer, if it's setup as a payee, then it's hard to see how it could be wrong, but if the OP is adding the numbers, or relying on browser saved form details , or has updated the details for a payee, he could be transferring the money to his mother, or some other account he's transferred money previously.

With BOI you cant do any of the above. You can only transfer money to a verified payee that is setup and you cannot update or amend a payee. No online banking site will save details on a browser either for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

By any chance OP do you know if your landlord has multiple properties for rent?

If he does this would increase the chances of an admin error on his side (your rent payments could have been attributed to the wrong property and someone else could be in arrears).

This would be my guess as it was the only thing that made sense in my situation. I paid rent directly into my landlord's account - he owned multiple properties - and one day he started insisting that I wasn't paying rent. He eventually acknowledged the payments but I got sick of it and moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

A surprising large amount of people actually!
    You'd he shocked at how some people just think about the big picture and pay no attention to the fiddly details.

I'm guilty of this myself too! I often forget invoice my own hours because I just am a bit head in the clouds.

For 6 months though?.. i dont care who the man but if he claims somebody isnt paying him a grand a month its not credible he isnt doing the simplest check of an online bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

If the LL gave incorrect bank details though then surely that's his fault.

I don't think that's the case here as the op said some rent was received but just pointing it out.

If the landlord gave incorrect bank details he would have received no money. This is about if he started selecting the wrong account in online banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If the landlord gave incorrect bank details he would have received no money. This is about if he started selecting the wrong account in online banking.

No it's not, the OP has clearly stated on several occasions that he's checked all the transactions and they're correct. He even went into the bank and they confirmed it.

Are people just not reading the thread anymore or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bmkearney

sounds like LL just making whole thing up to get you out maybe he has other tenants lined up who will pay more rent as he seems so unwilling to try and sort it out

• Advertisement

Let us know how it goes !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dial Hard wrote: »

Welcome to 10 page threads. They read the first 3 posts, then reply. So the same questions get repeated ad nauseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Sounds to me like a landlord we had once, he never checked the accounts either till tax time (He had numerous properties). So one year he was underpaid by someone but they said oh yeah I paid you, which he believed till he was left with us and tried to pin it on us, but we had the bank verify the payments from our leaseholder (we paid her and she did a bank transfer)

He went off and checked and found out it was another house that didn't pay! and had moved out on him so he ended up out of pocket as he even paid them back their deposit when they left!

OP

Get the bank stamped letter (think you have it now), meet him and give it to him. You and your bank have verified that the issue is not with your side.

The account number is correct as the LL has stated that they have received payments.

Sounds like an admin error on his side (most online accounts allow an export of the transactions) so once you have the dates you sent the payments (did you put a ref on each like ConfusedNow13 - Rent) so they should appear in his accounts no more than 3/5 days later. He may have just checked the date you did the payment and it may not have shown up as it didn't land for a few days after that date.

If that's not enough for him open a case with the PRTB detailing the issues concisely

1) LL claims non-payment of rent
    2) Tenant proves payment via official bank letter
    3) PRTB side with you :) a year later but I don't think he can evict you during this time.

No it's not, the OP has clearly stated on several occasions that he's checked all the transactions and they're correct. He even went into the bank and they confirmed it.

Maybe you should read what I was replying to directly, it was a direct question to my earlier post and it will then make sense to you. I understand the OP and have read the whole thread, thank you.

To OP, as long as you have proof that you have been transferring all the money to the correct account and proof that this is the account the LL gave you (have you documentation where he gave you this specific account details) then you have proved you are paying the rent. You cannot do more or should have to.

This has been escalated extremely quickly by the LL which makes me think there is something else going on here. If what the OP says is true then the LL is either mistaken (read an idiot) or trying to pull something.

Maybe you should read what I was replying to directly, it was a direct question to my earlier post and it will then make sense to you. I understand the OP and have read the whole thread, thank you.

To OP, as long as you have proof that you have been transferring all the money to the correct account and proof that this is the account the LL gave you (have you documentation where he gave you this specific account details) then you have proved you are paying the rent. You cannot do more or should have to.

This has been escalated extremely quickly by the LL which makes me think there is something else going on here. If what the OP says is true then the LL is either mistaken (read an idiot) or trying to pull something.

Also, do not worry about wasting anybody's time here. This is a serious and important matter to sort and there is nothing wrong with looking for help. Anyone who doesn't have time for this won't be on the forum anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Any final outcome?

Had a similar issue myself a few years back, LL was convinced of an issue, he wanted to be paid cash, back in 2006 and I was young, but he called to house every month same time.

I got a bank statement to show my withdrawals on that day and his initial email asking to be paid in cash. His own solicitor advised him to drop the case as he asked to be paid cash, and never made a complaint in 11 months prior to this, and I had proof of withdrawals of the required amount once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Either the money went to LL and can be proven through op bank statements or,

Money was transferred but by mistake to another payee.

What I cannot understand is, if the money didn't get to the LL surely the op would have noticed a few extra bob in his/her account?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Either the money went to LL and can be proven through op bank statements or,

Money was transferred but by mistake to another payee.

What I cannot understand is, if the money didn't get to the LL surely the op would have noticed a few extra bob in his/her account?

some one else could have got it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thread needs a poll.

1. Tenants problem
    2. Landlords problem
    3. Atari Jaguar

Need the OP to post their bank statements here before I can make my mind up :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

godtabh wrote: »
    some one else could have got it.

Yep, could happen, I mentioned that alright in my post. I suppose what I should have added is, if the payment was bounced back to OP, s/he would have noticed the extra money!

So it either went to LL, or an incorrect payee, or something else altogether!

Hope it all goes well for op. Not a nice situation to be in, but if you are in the right do not be bullied.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement