Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Missing for Landlord account

Options

Comments

8-10 wrote: »
    FYI the reason I'm suggesting this is not because the situation needs it legally, however from reading the entire thread I am more and more thinking that the LL is being a bully.

Having your solicitor present shows that you are taking this very seriously and would be good to introduce your solicitor at the meeting to hopefully help him back down on the aggressive tactics.

Fair enough but I would see it as a waste of time and money as its not required yet. At some point it may be but not yet.

Going out trying to find a solicitor (most people don't have one if they haven't needed one before) and then trying to get them come out to a meeting (which I reckon would be difficult as they would see it as not required either) and then pay hundreds for the pleasure. I'd rather fight my own corner unless the LL got a solicitor involved. It will also drag the whole thing out it could take weeks to get a solicitor sorted and have a time that suits him to come to a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConfusedNow13

Thanks all. There is nothing for me todo but wait for LL to provide something to dispute my statements of there is any. If the there is an issue we have to got to banks. And allow the PRTB to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well you have done everything you can, personally I believe your landlord is trying to get you out and going about the wrong way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Lux23 wrote: »
    Well you have done everything you can, personally I believe your landlord is trying to get you out and going about the wrong way!

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Sorry OP, did you say the LL was outside the house this morning? Does he live near there? Does he have a reason to be around where you live?

If not that sounds really dodgy. You have clarified that you have verified all the payments were done and to the correct account. This is starting to seem like something else going on. If what you tell us is accurate though, you are completely in the right.

I don't want to go all 'tinfoil hat' here, but if I was in what seemed like an aggressive dispute with my LL and I saw them hanging around outside my house when I went to work, the first thing I would do is install a hidden camera. I assume the LL has keys to the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

You have done all you can op, I think it would be best if you took photos of the inside of your home date stamped or with an up to date newspaper so you can verify they are new pictures as to me the landlord simply wants to move you out.
    He doesn't seem interested in recouping the money at all and with him being outside your house when you left he could do something inside when your not there to prove why he wants you out.
    I hope I'm wrong but from what you have said so far I'd not trust him as he seems to have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

RossieMan wrote: »
    The OP has changed stories a few times, its very hard to follow at this stage.

It's really not, I've read the whole thread, the only change in story I've noticed from the OP was them mistakenly calling a bank transfer a direct debit, which they promptly corrected. Outside of that any confusion on the story has come entirely from people (who I assume for the most part didn't read the whole thread) making statements about the OP's story that the OP never made.

It's been stated repeatedly that the OP payed rent using an online banking transfer using a saved payee. On top of that the OP has said a person in the bank went through all the transfers with them and confirmed that they have all gone to the same bank account. Given that the landlord has confirmed he has received some payments it's baffling that at this point someone can still claim the OP must have used incorrect details when transferring the rent on some occasions. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

To me it sounds like this cowboy landlord has several poperties rented out and gets all rent paid into the same account which may or may not be his main account.

He uses this account for maintenance or possibly for buying new properties etc and has gone to his accountant to get the account of this account up to date, accountant has found there is €6,500 missing if all rents are pad up to date and landlord is going around all his tenants hassling them to pay this extra money. He will call it a bonus if more than one tenant pays up.

OP stick with the PRTB and if you see your landlord outside again and they have no reason for being there then take some pictures of him and keep them as evidence and inform the PRTB that he is hanging around outside your home.

You can also get a wireless IP camera which will send you an email with pictures and also record to an sd card if motion is detected while you are out in work etc. This would record any illegal entry by the landlord who can not enter your home without your permission. The only exception would be a genuine emergency such as water flooding out under the door or people seeing you lying at the bottom of stairs etc If he smells gas he should move away from the house and call the gas bord to deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

foggy_lad wrote: »
    To me it sounds like this cowboy landlord has several poperties rented out and gets all rent paid into the same account which may or may not be his main account.

He uses this account for maintenance or possibly for buying new properties etc and has gone to his accountant to get the account of this account up to date, accountant has found there is €6,500 missing if all rents are pad up to date and landlord is going around all his tenants hassling them to pay this extra money. He will call it a bonus if more than one tenant pays up.

Pure speculation here tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lukesmom wrote: »
    Having read the whole thread I have come up with what I deem to be the most logical and likely explanation.

The landlord is lying

The landlord is not being honest

Or

The landlord isn't telling the truth

I have a question.

If the landlord has received the rent, know this, and asking for rent again and trying to evict the OP, would this count as "demanding money with menaces." as per the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Is there anything a tenant can do if a landlord attempts an illegal eviction? I know you can go after the landlord after the fact, but is there anything a tenant can do to protect themselves from actually being kicked out?

I'm just asking because from the sounds of it the landlord would have no problem just turning up while the OP is in work one of the days and changing the locks/tossing their stuff out onto the street. So if there is anything OP can do to prepare for that possibility then they probably should. Is there anything someone can do in that situation or is it just a case of move and then look for compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Bykobap

Change the lock yourself

Ok update, LL emailed to state received post with bank statements and that per their bank it's not enough information. LL stated that spread sheet attached details no payments made. Well the spread sheet attached is self created not a bank one. So I'm just not sure. I received a phone call from PRTB re mediation via phone so I'm hopeful there. I've provided proof and still have nothing from LL that payments weren't made so I'm suspicious. Thoughts??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok update, LL emailed to state received post with bank statements and that per their bank it's not enough information. LL stated that spread sheet attached details no payments made. Well the spread sheet attached is self created not a bank one. So I'm just not sure. I received a phone call from PRTB re mediation via phone so I'm hopeful there. I've provided proof and still have nothing from LL that payments weren't made so I'm suspicious. Thoughts??

Does the information you gave your landlord include your BIC and IBAN? And the list of payments and the dates they were made, and the account to which they were made along with the BIC and IBAN for that account?

Stheno wrote: »
    Does the information you gave your landlord include your BIC and IBAN? And the list of payments and the dates they were made, and the account to which they were made along with the BIC and IBAN for that account?

Yes it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Sorry Op I didn't read the entire thread. Can you get a statement from the bank with JUST the payments made to his account? Like a long list rather than a regular statement with all your personal details

Yes it does
    Then there is no other information that can really be provided to show the amounts were paid!

Yes it does

I will have to head back but this is what the bank sent me off with last time I went in and explained the situation. I'm asking also a spread sheet is not proof is it? I'm confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No it's not proof, it's his word. Tell him you want to see proof from the bank that on the dates in question, he didn't receive payments.

No it's not proof, it's his word. Tell him you want to see proof from the bank that on the dates in question, he didn't receive payments.
    Exactly!

OP You have proved that the payments left your account and went to his on the dates so now it is up to him to show proof that he has not received those payments into his account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

Ok update, LL emailed to state received post with bank statements and that per their bank it's not enough information.

Did you also include the payment id number for the transactions?
    There should be a 16 digit/letter code that uniquely identifies each transaction, and should allow his bank to find the transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I bet he has a number of rental properties and a few are paying the same monthly amount as yourself.
    He doesn't know how to/too lazy to track IBAN payment numbers and can't figure out who's not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

OP can your bank not get in touch with the LL's bank and check the payments were received surely that would sort this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I bet he has a number of rental properties and a few are paying the same monthly amount as yourself.
    He doesn't know how to/too lazy to track IBAN payment numbers and can't figure out who's not paying.

More than likely you're right !

Now, the OP can go after him and..."demand" compensation for the living trauma !?? Yes, i will do it so that he will remember me for the rest of the tenancy...
    Also, if I will "the time"...I'll check with other tenants to see if they went trough same rubbish like OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Making up spreadsheets with random numbers in them is his "proof"??
    Go way out of that
    He is seriously a messer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It's pretty simple to fix. You have your statements showing the date and time you paid x amount into the landlords account. All he has to do is show his bank statements for that account on those days to prove he hasn't received it.
    That he's not done that already makes the whole thing sound like he is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That he's not done that already makes the whole thing sound like he is lying.

Or deeply inept. More likely a certified member of the liar,liar,pants-on-fire club.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's pretty simple to fix. You have your statements showing the date and time you paid x amount into the landlords account. All he has to do is show his bank statements for that account on those days to prove he hasn't received it.

Exactly. And this is exactly what I would ask for; get the dates of your transfers, then take that date and the next 2 working days post-the transfer date. So for each transfer there are 3 dates. Then I would specifically ask for proof that there was no transfer received on those dates.

If they're both Irish accounts the transfer should have been received in 3 working days (usually next day). The more specific your request, the better your chances of getting an actual response with bank information

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I suspect he is just inept rather than deliberately trying to swindle you. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to try this with someone paying via a bank transfer, it's way too easy to prove him wrong and he'd be opening himself to a world of pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 amdddc

I suspect your landlords accounts are all up in heap and he is doing his year end at the moment. More and likely he is panicking and can't decipher his own accounts. I would guess he has a few rental properties and payments from other tenants maybe all over the place and your payment is getting caught up in this saga also. I would suggest to put everything in writing. You should have an Iban and switch code for his account. Not sure what bank you are with, but you can print off all outgoings to a particular account. This should satisfied your landlord that payment has occurred. That's the most you can do to inform him of payment. It really should be an easy task as it's all electronic. It's then in his interest to investigate further and he shouldn't be hassling you unless he has confirmed evidences that non payment has occurred.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement