Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees

Options
  • 07-10-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm considering buying a house and wondering what kind of prices people pay for solicitors and what things I should look out for.

I've got a quote of E1450 + VAT and then another E1000 for doing land registry stuff. Is this a reasonable price?

If anyone has any recommendations for the Dublin 15 area, would appreciate a PM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Usually it comes in around 2500 plus stamp duty. We just bought a house and dealt with a great fella in Skerries. He was very prompt and answered every email,phone call immediately. This was important to me after dealing with a very slow moving solicitor when we bought our first house. Everything went very well with this house purchase and very swiftly. We got around 10 quotes and his was the cheapest thats why we chose him in the end. We got lucky he was great. I will PM you his details. Im not familiar with dublin 15 but I was living in Drogheda at the time of my purchase and found him to be worth the drive to skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

I just got a quote of 1550 + VAT, 'but they need to see all involved there may be more fees'. I found they varied a lot between. Ive gone with this crowd, they should get my documents in the coming days, so I'll find out if it really is 1550 or if they find more to charge me for!!! I got a recommendation of this place, so I didn't pick them just on price, but it does help that they are on the cheaper side of a lot of quotes I have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

mel123 wrote: »
    I just got a quote of 1550 + VAT, 'but they need to see all involved there may be more fees'. I found they varied a lot between. Ive gone with this crowd, they should get my documents in the coming days, so I'll find out if it really is 1550 or if they find more to charge me for!!! I got a recommendation of this place, so I didn't pick them just on price, but it does help that they are on the cheaper side of a lot of quotes I have got.

Does the 1550+VAT include the land registry stuff as well or is it purely only for the solicitors fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bit high for Fees without Outlays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Bit high for Fees without Outlays.

I disagree. It's about standard. I paid over €2,500 two years ago and was absolutely delighted with my solicitor. This was after a dissterous experience about 10 years ago. I go on the basis now that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

OP get a recommendation from someone you trust. There are a lot of dodgy solicitors out there. There are also a lot of good ones. You can't tell by price alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I would agree with that. My first house purchase was with a really slow moving solicitor who never answered any phone calls etc and he was much pricier then the second house purchase where the solicitor was fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I disagree. It's about standard. I paid over €2,500 two years ago and was absolutely delighted with my solicitor. This was after a dissterous experience about 10 years ago. I go on the basis now that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

OP get a recommendation from someone you trust. There are a lot of dodgy solicitors out there. There are also a lot of good ones. You can't tell by price alone.

€2500 + VAT + Outlays? What did you buy an Oil tanker?

Joking aside €2500 should have been the overall fee. For the purpose of comparison the OP should look at the ex vat fee, as that's what most will quote. Outlays vary but not between solicitors, they are what they are for a given house purchase. The one thing to watch out for is sundry* expenses, some will pad their fee so ask about this.

*Faxing, copying, calls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

digiman wrote: »
    Does the 1550+VAT include the land registry stuff as well or is it purely only for the solicitors fees?

She said it includes everything, unless something pops up like a management company is involved, but I know for definite there is none. She should have received documents today, so I can let you know next week what she comes back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

mel123 wrote: »
    She said it includes everything

That would seem very low for everything to be covered. Outlays alone can easily come to €1,000

This was what mine were:
    Land registry fee €600-€800, depending on house price
    Register mortgage €175
    Searches €140
    Commissioner of Oaths, folio, etc €55

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Currently mine are:
    Sale 1500 + VAT + outlays
    Purchase 2500 + VAT + outlays.

This is from a very very close relative solicitor.

My brother is selling his house and is being charged 1250 + VAT + outlays.

One solicitor is in Dublin and one is in Cork. I wonder is the price difference a regional thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Our case suggests otherwise; we used same sols in Louth twice in 5 years, fee was €1600 total each time, super service, moved along swiftly and well established operators. OP you don't need to spend €2,500+ in order to get quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Make 30 phone calls and ask each their fees. Then go with whichever you like best. 1500 seems reasonable. You could find cheaper though.
    Bear in mind cheap is not always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

My solicitor was 900+vat+outlays and sale was completed within 8 weeks. I just priced around all local solicitors and they ranged from 900-1400 before vat for professional fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Annmariet11

Jen44 wrote: »
    Usually it comes in around 2500 plus stamp duty. We just bought a house and dealt with a great fella in Skerries. He was very prompt and answered every email,phone call immediately. This was important to me after dealing with a very slow moving solicitor when we bought our first house. Everything went very well with this house purchase and very swiftly. We got around 10 quotes and his was the cheapest thats why we chose him in the end. We got lucky he was great. I will PM you his details. Im not familiar with dublin 15 but I was living in Drogheda at the time of my purchase and found him to be worth the drive to skerries

Could you see me the details please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 geared_up

1500 + vat + outlay is about the average

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone with any good recommendations in the Dublin area please PM.

Advertisement