Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O’Connell St plan to ban new adult shops, chippers, bookmakers, arcades

Options
  • 07-10-2015 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/o-connell-st-plan-to-ban-new-adult-shops-chippers-arcades-1.2381316

A new plan for Dublin’s O’Connell Street, which will govern the future use and redevelopment of properties including the former Clerys department store, is to be published by Dublin City Council.
    Clerys was sold by Boston-based Gordon Brothers to Natrium Ltd last June. OCS Operations Ltd, which had been running the shop, was then placed into liquidation, resulting in the immediate closure of the department store.

I personally think this is a great idea, no more of the same kind of crap shops we se all over town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

30 years late, but needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Ah yeah, great idea...but it is about 15 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

That's gas, I see an ad for Burger king.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

By banning all those businesses they might as well shut down O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Simon2015 wrote: »
    By banning all those businesses they might as well shut down O'Connell St.

That would still be classed as an improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Unless O'Connell St. bans Talbot st none of this will work.

Unless O'Connell St. bans Talbot st none of this will work.

Also they need to move the Junkies out of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rezone the street as residential.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Pie in the sky but, I would like if bookie shops were banned in general. They are seedy places. Dodgy, disadvantaged people are attracted to them like flies to sh!te.

The city's main thoroughfare should be lined with nice restaurants, high end retail outlets and places of historic & cultural interest, not batur buuuuurger chippurs, bookies, knackery arcades and shops catering to sexual deviants who are not computer literate.

The fact we let things get this bad is just a symptom of how we couldn't give a shít as a nation.

I was in Oslo recently and was amazed by the cleanliness, tidiness and high quality of the streetscapes. On arriving back to ireland and passing through dublin city centre I came to the realisation that Dublin is a grimey sprawl. Dirty streets, dirty buildings. Even the people are dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

What Joe Duffy wants Joe Duffy gets.

Pathetic idea tbh. Let the city take its own course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I've posted about this before on boards and had them deleted but everyone should be aware that Dr Quirkeys etc are already operating illegally. You absolutely cannot have a place with roulette wheels and slot machines where any random person can just walk in off the street, place a bet, then take their winnings in cash and walk out. At least in the past they used to pay lip service to the law by making people sign disclaimers to get their money in a very spurious loophole but this no longer happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/o-connell-st-plan-to-ban-new-adult-shops-chippers-arcades-1.2381316

I personally think this is a great idea, no more of the same kind of crap shops we se all over town.
    Another pipe dream. They can pump as much money as they want at this but as long as the filthy scrotes remain......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I was in Oslo recently and was amazed by the cleanliness, tidiness and high quality of the streetscapes.
    & more heroin users per head than Dublin, usually hanging around 50 meters from the main train station in Oslo (Oslo Sentralstasjon)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Pie in the sky but, I would like if bookie shops were banned in general. They are seedy places. Dodgy, disadvantaged people are attracted to them like flies to sh!te.

The city's main thoroughfare should be lined with nice restaurants, high end retail outlets and places of historic & cultural interest, not batur buuuuurger chippurs, bookies, knackery arcades and shops catering to sexual deviants who are not computer literate.

The fact we let things get this bad is just a symptom of how we couldn't give a shít as a nation.

I was in Oslo recently and was amazed by the cleanliness, tidiness and high quality of the streetscapes. On arriving back to ireland and passing through dublin city centre I came to the realisation that Dublin is a grimey sprawl. Dirty streets, dirty buildings. Even the people are dirty.

Rein it in there, Travis Bickle. Things aren't as bad as all that.

Is there even a bookies on O'Connell Street? I've never noticed it. Or a chipper. I know there's Burger King and McDonalds but those are common anywhere, I'm sure even the magical land of Oslo.

I think you'll find Ann Summers disappoints more sexual deviants than it caters to, it's really very tame.

You're on the button about the lack of good restaurants though, it could definitely do with a couple of those and some high end retail. A museum or gallery wouldn't do any harm either. The north end is especially shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kev W wrote: »
    Rein it in there, Travis Bickle. Things aren't as bad as all that.

Is there even a bookies on O'Connell Street? I've never noticed it. Or a chipper. I know there's Burger King and McDonalds but those are common anywhere, I'm sure even the magical land of Oslo.

I think you'll find Ann Summers disappoints more sexual deviants than it caters to, it's really very tame.

You're on the button about the lack of good restaurants though, it could definitely do with a couple of those and some high end retail. A museum or gallery wouldn't do any harm either. The north end is especially shabby.

Yeah, one down opposite the O'Connell Monument anyway. been there years, its just a doorway

I'm okay with this, so long as they firebomb Dr Quirkeys with the owner inside it.

And run the tour buses that are using the bus lanes as parking spaces

Seriously who are this people bribing to get away with that kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah, one down opposite the O'Connell Monument anyway. been there years, its just a doorway.

Man, that's sketchy as hell.

sabat wrote: »
    I've posted about this before on boards and had them deleted but everyone should be aware that Dr Quirkeys etc are already operating illegally. You absolutely cannot have a place with roulette wheels and slot machines where any random person can just walk in off the street, place a bet, then take their winnings in cash and walk out. At least in the past they used to pay lip service to the law by making people sign disclaimers to get their money in a very spurious loophole but this no longer happens.

Just getting rid of Dr Quirkeys would make a huge difference to the street in terms of bringing up the tone of the area.

I've often wondered this myself. There was even a prime time a few years back that said the same - that Dr Quirkeys were operating illegally. How do they get away with it? Guessing it's to do with connections or some other sort of leverage with whoever is supposed to be policing unlicensed gambling on our capital street.

I mean, it's not like they're being secretive about it...

I've often wondered this myself. There was even a prime time a few years back that said the same - that Dr Quirkeys were operating illegally. How do they get away with it? Guessing it's to do with connections or some other sort of leverage with whoever is supposed to be policing unlicensed gambling on our capital street.

I mean, it's not like they're being secretive about it...

Owned by a retired garda, who's pals with Michael Lowry etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Idaho Ver. 3

Bambi wrote: »
    Owned by a retired garda, who's pals with Michael Lowry etc etc

Same old story.

I don't mind the street the way it is. The fast food joints are busy and provide employment, it's got Clarks, Eason, the GPO, Penney's, a cinema plenty of handy newsagents and if they just do something decent where the Carlton was and Clery's it'll be fine. Beshoff's hardly even looks like a chipper and Ann Summers is such a tame sex shop you could screen it before the watershed.

• Advertisement

I was in the new coffee shop/ice cream parlour CocoBo in the old NIB building today and they've done a really nice job with it-I only had an espresso but the cakes and stuff looked great. It's original Irish businesses like this that will bring the street right back where it should be instead of another identikit Starbucks or Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So what exactly is the law? Is it that automatic cash payouts are illegal and have to be done by a cashier? And what is the spirit of the law, i.e is it designed to prevent under 18s gambling or another reason?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So what exactly is the law? Is it that automatic cash payouts are illegal and have to be done by a cashier? And what is the spirit of the law, i.e is it designed to prevent under 18s gambling or another reason?

I believe no stake higher than 5 pence is allowed and that players cannot get back more than they put into a machine. The Dublin Corporation bye-law was brought in in the late 80s because slot/poker machines were a huge social problem and of absolutely nil benefit-this is why Bray, just outside the county limits, became a destination for slot gambling.
    I was emphasising the walk in/walk out nature of Quirkeys to distinguish it from private member clubs like the Fitzwilliam which are legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Bye Laws are easy for DCC to do. It looks great on paper. But doesnt solve the issues why O Connell Street is a kip. Personally I would have banned all restaurants on the street. The new Asians ones look like something from a strip mall in Reno.

The real with O Connell Street is a quarter of the street was to be turned into a shopping centre. The part beside Dr Quirkeys. It was going to be a medium rise building with a part and a John Lewis (attract wealthier people to the area). Then came along a few councillor with no ****ing concern for the area other than a free photo op wanting to protect those slummy buildings on Moore St. As they had a minor role in the 1916 rising(so does half the inner city). Then a few planning/ lobby groups decided the Shopping centre should the generic 4/5 storeys to fit the culture significant of the area. Eh? What exactly is is that? Other than junkies, Slummy georgian buildings and generic apartments on Parnell Street.

The new shopping centre wont solve O Connell Street's problems. But its may attract enough people and wealthier people to push up rents to force the less desirable companies to leave O Connell Street. It maybe enough to gentrify the area

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is 40 years too late. O'Connell Street never recovered after the destruction of Nelsons Pillar in the 60s and by the late 70s was already on a downwards slide.

They really need to do something about the vacant lots on the upper part of the street and try to get rid of Dr Quirkeys.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Bye Laws are easy for DCC to do. It looks great on paper. But doesnt solve the issues why O Connell Street is a kip. Personally I would have banned all restaurants on the street. The new Asians ones look like something from a strip mall in Reno.

The real with O Connell Street is a quarter of the street was to be turned into a shopping centre. The part beside Dr Quirkeys. It was going to be a medium rise building with a part and a John Lewis (attract wealthier people to the area). Then came along a few councillor with no ****ing concern for the area other than a free photo op wanting to protect those slummy buildings on Moore St. As they had a minor role in the 1916 rising(so does half the inner city). Then a few planning/ lobby groups decided the Shopping centre should the generic 4/5 storeys to fit the culture significant of the area. Eh? What exactly is is that? Other than junkies, Slummy georgian buildings and generic apartments on Parnell Street.

The new shopping centre wont solve O Connell Street's problems. But its may attract enough people and wealthier people to push up rents to force the less desirable companies to leave O Connell Street. It maybe enough to gentrify the area

You can really see how another ilac centre is what o'connell street is screaming out for.

Not that the monstrosity would have been built if it was given permission given that Chartered land went bust. Of course the corpo did a secret and dodgy deal with chartered land for the site way back when but you wont hear much about that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Beshoff's hardly even looks like a chipper.
    I could imagine tourist guides recommending beshoffs, or a trip to burdocks at christchurch.

I was always amazed at the lack of "batter burger chippers" as the poster described them. Years ago I only knew of a few in the central city centre, one on liffey street and one near hector grays, both of which were also cafes and pretty respectable looking, and burdocks which is a bit less central. Others up around wexford street.

Arcades have declined due to better consoles.

There was a program on a while ago about some fast food place on o'connell street, think an Asian woman was the owner, and she was made put up signage of a certain approved style. Just like the mcdonalds in bray town hall is not screaming out that its a mcdonalds, or how some starbucks are discrete.

This is mcdonalds in bray, you can just see a little M inside the arch.

4196_54_news_hub_4401_640x488.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Tyrell Wellick

To be honest I think both ends of Parnell Street are in more urgent need of regeneration than O'Connell St

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The only sex shop on O'Connell Street is Ann Summers and it is by far the classiest shop on O'Connell Street, so I'd have to disagree. Why not just move Dublin's junkie investation to some vacant units in JFK industrial estate, a simple measure that'd go a long long way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement