Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for an Alarm

Options
  • 07-10-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi there

I am at first fix Electrical work in my house.
    Would anyone recommend wiring for an alarm or are the wireless versions at a good standard ?

Thank you
    John

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wire for everything.
    It will be a neater job & you will get much more coverage for your money.
    Also run a phone cable & Ethernet cable to cover your monitoring options.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muganj

Thanks Koolkid

Are there any rules to the wiring plan or is it simply a case of routing all points (Windows / Doors / PIRs ) back to the central control unit ?

Thank you again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Generally I would run a separate cable to each room and a separate cable to every door.
    A cable for each keypad you want.
    A cable for each PiR you want
    A cable for each smoke detector (If you want to include these)
    A cable for each bell (internal(s) /External (s))
    Panic Buttons?
    Internet & phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't forget a spare for the attic, always comes in handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Make sure to run a 6 core cable to the bell. 4 core should do for most other things, although if you have a roll of 6 core, use it for your pirs too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement