Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Sponsored walk" door to door collectors.Beware.

Options
  • 07-10-2015 8:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

About ten minutes ago these three young kids ranging from about eight to 12 came calling to door in the Barrack St area.I vaguely know a couple of them to see and I'm sure theyre Roma.I asked the eldest lad what it was for and he woulden't give a straight answer,just said it was for "the school".He had what looked to me like just a plain sheet of paper in his hand.Just to let people be aware.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

About ten minutes ago these three young kids ranging from about eight to 12 came calling to door in the Barrack St area.I vaguely know a couple of them to see and I'm sure theyre Roma.I asked the eldest lad what it was for and he woulden't give a straight answer,just said it was for "the school".Just to let people be aware.
    x

As a teacher I'm aware of a lot of primary schools in the city and suburbs in cork using the 'Halloween walk' or 'witches walk' (lots of different names!) to raise funds for the school. Primary schools are very underfunded and look for new ideas to generate fundraising all the time- disgraceful the children have to go door to door but I can honestly tell u from a teachers side that I buy all the art materials the 23 children in my class use ALL year amongst lots of other bits and pieces (it all adds up) because our school doesn't have any surplus after all the big bills are paid. This is common to most primary schools- ask any teacher! I doubt the visitors u had were a hoax-I would be almost certain of that.
    Perhaps you could have asked to see their sponsorship card and part with a euro or two- it all adds up. Children being children might not have known or remembered to produce their sponsorship card. I don't think any children should be out alone or even in groups without adult supervision- that's just dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

About ten minutes ago these three young kids ranging from about eight to 12 came calling to door in the Barrack St area.I vaguely know a couple of them to see and I'm sure theyre Roma.I asked the eldest lad what it was for and he woulden't give a straight answer,just said it was for "the school".He had what looked to me like just a plain sheet of paper in his hand.Just to let people be aware.

Maybe have a look at the sheet rather than relying on racial profiling

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

koriko wrote: »
    x

As a teacher I'm aware of a lot of primary schools in the city and suburbs in cork using the 'Halloween walk' or 'witches walk' (lots of different names!) to raise funds for the school. Primary schools are very underfunded and look for new ideas to generate fundraising all the time- disgraceful the children have to go door to door but I can honestly tell u from a teachers side that I buy all the art materials the 23 children in my class use ALL year amongst lots of other bits and pieces (it all adds up) because our school doesn't have any surplus after all the big bills are paid. This is common to most primary schools- ask any teacher! I doubt the visitors u had were a hoax-I would be almost certain of that.
    Perhaps you could have asked to see their sponsorship card and part with a euro or two- it all adds up. Children being children might not have known or remembered to produce their sponsorship card. I don't think any children should be out alone or even in groups without adult supervision- that's just dangerous.

Bit early for that,no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bit early for that,no?

It's October. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In fairness over the years you'd always get a smart alec kid or group of kids who would go door to door for a "sponsored walk" even though you'd know none would be happening or it was an extremely dodgy photocopy.

Best thing schools could do would be to have a number that can be called to verify if and when the walk is happening.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    In fairness over the years you'd always get a smart alec kid or group of kids who would go door to door for a "sponsored walk" even though you'd know none would be happening or it was an extremely dodgy photocopy.

Best thing schools could do would be to have a number that can be called to verify if and when the walk is happening.

Ah now, tis only "foreign" kids would get up to such skullduggery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I've seen this in Dublin City Centre.

Two girls about 9/10 years old looking for sponsorship for a school event. I gave them two Euro on one occasion. A few months later I saw them asking other people in town for the same thing. The kids are "nicely" dressed, but I saw their a woman with them that could have been their mother. She looked like a beggar or some other social unfortunate. These where white Irish people, not Roma. I then strongly suspected a scam.

Not the worst sort of thing in the world, but I think it's exploitative of the children.

cc wrote: »
    Maybe have a look at the sheet rather than relying on racial profiling

Maybe read my post again rather than playing the racist card.

Well why did you mention the ethnicity of two of them ? You said there were three kids, no mention of the other's ethnicity.

Well why did you mention the ethnicity of two of them ? You said there were three kids, no mention of the other's ethnicity.

Youre starting to remind me of this guy.Are a little on the autistic spectrum by any chance?

index.jpg

• Advertisement

Youre starting to remind me of this guy.Are a little on the autistic spectrum by any chance?

index.jpg

Ah, a classic case of "I have no argument so I'll just mock and insult the person who doesn't agree with me".

Well done.
    That must get you far in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

He had what looked to me like just a plain sheet of paper in his hand.

I read your post as it was written

Ah, a classic case of "I have no argument so I'll just mock and insult the person who doesn't agree with me".

Well done.
    That must get you far in life.

No,I'm mocking you because you come across as unbelievably anal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

well Ralf to be fair, you do have previous form for prejudice on this board. Thinking of the muslim thread you created a while back.

well Ralf to be fair, you do have previous form for prejudice on this board. Thinking of the muslim thread you created a while back.

You've been doing some research I see.I also did a thread on how much people who propose in public annoy me but you'll already know that.Hope that dosen't offend you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Sickening racism on display here tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Well that escalated quickly

[/B]

You've been doing some research I see.I also did a thread on how much people who propose in public annoy me but you'll already know that.Hope that dosen't offend you too much.

nah no research, I just remember that thread. Doesn't paint a pretty picture.

nah no research, I just remember that thread. Doesn't paint a pretty picture.

So its sheer coincidence that youre among the last ten people to look at my profile?

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Sickening racism on display here tonight.

Theres more talk of racism than the actual thing but believe what you want.

• Advertisement

So its sheer coincidence that youre among the last ten people to look at my profile?

not at all. Just wanted to confirm that I was remembering right.

bit of a strange defence though it must be said.

I'll let your threads speak for themselves before I get into trouble with the mods.

No,I'm mocking you because you come across as unbelievably anal.

Another well crafted argument!
    You're gaining lots of fans here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

So,anyone else get these kids calling to their door and if so did they get a dodgy vibe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are ye actually kidding me? The majority of you on this thread need to cop yourselves on. I'm not going to reply to the numerous posts individually but it goes without saying that if you find something offensive/racist/whatever you report the post without getting into a war of words on the thread. Anyway this thread is going nowhere civil so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement