Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10.............. sill waiting.......

• 07-10-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

I haven't tried the early download option. I'm waiting for nature to take its course. Only thing is it's now October, and when I check I am told they are still validating PC's. So are they? Or have I missed my slot? Anyone else still waiting to get the download?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Hi Ankles.

Given the fact that it's been so long I'd be wondering if it's due to the fact that there might be driver related issues for your PC.

Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if they've released windows 10 drivers for your system? If not; it doesn't rule out that Windows 7 or 8 drivers may work in their place and, as such, you could simply download Windows 10 and burn it onto a CD/Usb Key and install it manually from the Microsoft website.

The reason why I'd advise double/triple drivers is due to the fact that, although my XPS l502x was compatible and downloaded the upgrade early; I still had issues with some drivers. For some reason the Realtek audio drivers installed were too 'new' and didn't work right. I had to download an older version to get everything back in order. There tends to be a few glitches here and there too but I'd say it's more down to Windows 10 being so new and they'll be ironed out.

Hopefully it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

There is a way to force the Windows 10 update if you want to do it.

Basically you go to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and delete all the files there. This will give Windows Update a clean slate.
    Open up the command prompt by hitting the Windows key and typing in cmd, Right click and choose “Run as administrator.”
    Type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow”
    Go to "Windows Update" in control panel window, click “Check for updates” on the left hand side.
    You should now see Windows Update say that it is downloading Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Thanks for these. I have run all the Samsung updates, which I had been ignoring but has been updated now. Am hoping this will kick it over. A bit nervous of the command prompt, delete all updates approach. Not sure what would happen if I can do this with Boards open to guide me on the same laptop! Anyway will give it a week and then see if it has updated by then. How long ordinarily need I wait if I am only updating laptop software now? Any ideas?

I think I read that Samsung block certain Windows updates, is that right?

Advertisement