Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a sick cert when you need a day off?

Options
  • 07-10-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

I must take a day off in the next few weeks and I'm not prepared to go through the hassle of asking for a personal day with the hugely added hassle of getting my classes covered [I have 8 on this particular day].

So I had to see my GP yesterday on an unrelated matter and asked in advance if she'd write me a cert to cover that day. She reacted very snottily,didn't say she would or she wouldn't and really made me feel like a dosser. I was stunned as this doctor has been my GP for the past 25 years,knows me well and knows I rarely miss school and never would without good reason. I did explain the reason.

So my question is, is this the latest carry on with GPs or is it just mine? What do other teachers do in similar situations? In an ideal world we'd never need any more time than our holidays but we don't live in an ideal world and our job is very inflexible about time off other than the holidays.

Now I'm also aware that ethically speaking nobody should ask for a medical cert if they are not sick, but again we don't live in an ideal world so I would appreciate no lectures on ethics or morality please, as I would genuinely like to know how other teachers Gp's react to such a very rare request.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If it is only one day you need off why don't you just take a self certified day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

It might be a rare request for you, but your GP gets asked for sick certs daily, when they're not needed.

You're expecting her to lie on your behalf, no wonder she wasn't pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You can take one self certified sick day.

Or

Just ask colleagues to cover the classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not a teacher but my GP would laugh in my face if I asked for a cert in the circumstances you outlined. I practically have to beg for a cert when I'm genuinely ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

How does my gp react? I have no idea cause I would never ask them to lie for me.

Either take a self certified day or take a personal day like everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but why do you expect a GP to lie on your behalf?? If a pupil told you they were sick, yet you had seen them in the local shopping centre, how would you feel? I have a chronic long term illness, but struggle in as much as I can. People looking for sick certs when they aren't sick annoys me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

acequion wrote: »
    I must take a day off in the next few weeks and I'm not prepared to go through the hassle of asking for a personal day with the hugely added hassle of getting my classes covered [I have 8 on this particular day].

So I had to see my GP yesterday on an unrelated matter and asked in advance if she'd write me a cert to cover that day. She reacted very snottily,didn't say she would or she wouldn't and really made me feel like a dosser. I was stunned as this doctor has been my GP for the past 25 years,knows me well and knows I rarely miss school and never would without good reason. I did explain the reason.

So my question is, is this the latest carry on with GPs or is it just mine? What do other teachers do in similar situations? In an ideal world we'd never need any more time than our holidays but we don't live in an ideal world and our job is very inflexible about time off other than the holidays.

Now I'm also aware that ethically speaking nobody should ask for a medical cert if they are not sick, but again we don't live in an ideal world so I would appreciate no lectures on ethics or morality please, as I would genuinely like to know how other teachers Gp's react to such a very rare request.

Can I get an A on a test next month?, as I always get A's, but I have something on then and don't want to ask to do it another time cause of like all the hassle ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

You do have options other than a sick cert as outlined by other posters.

This kind of thread does little for public perception of teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fraud is illegal. How are you entrusted with the education of our youth ? And are annoyed with the GPS reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

So my question is, is this the latest carry on with GPs or is it just mine? What do other teachers do in similar situations?
    About 10 years ago I asked my doctor for a cert when I was genuinely sick and he asked me why I couldn't just go to work anyway! Came out empty handed and had to 'teach' for the week with NO voice, it was torture because our place can be fairly unruly.

Haven't been sick since but I'd say his reaction would be much the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks to those posters who actually answered my question.

The high moral ground is just nauseating. People who have nothing better to do than lecture others really are pompous prigs.

I did ask for genuine replies not the equivalent of bible thumpers. So mods please lock this thread. Thanks.

Thread Closed at request of OP!
    MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement