Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest - Oil Boiler and HW Tank

Options
  • 07-10-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can nest be used with an oil boiler? 

Similarly can it be used/extended to control a HW cylinder?

Does EI perform installation for such a setup?

Note I am NOT an EI customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi bringitdown,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Can nest be used with an oil boiler?

Boilers that use radiators or in-floor pipes to distribute heat, whether the boiler is itself oil or gas-based, are the most common type of heating system. The Nest Learning Thermostat is compatible with the vast majority of these systems. To determine whether your specific heating system would be compatible with Nest, see here.
    Similarly can it be used/extended to control a HW cylinder?

Does EI perform installation for such a setup?

We would only perform an installation of a Nest Thermostat for Electric Ireland customers, as installation requires that the customer is signed up to a specific price plan (see here for more info).

If the Nest Thermostat is replacing an old thermostat that controls both home heating and hot water heating, your installer will offer you two options.
    • If you have a programmer that controls both heat and hot water, your installer will disable the heating channel of the programmer when they install your Nest Learning Thermostat. Your hot water will continue to be controlled by your programmer.
    • If you're replacing a thermostat that controlled both your hot water and heating, your installer will replace it with a Nest Thermostat, which will control your heating. Your installer may install a simple hot-water-only programmer (or your old programmer, if you have one) to control your hot water.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Thanks David appreciate the information.

No problem at all bringitodown. If you have any other queries we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,
    David

________

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

3rd Generation Nest devices claim to be able to also control hot water, does this change the answer above?

Hi beanhead,
    beanhead wrote:
    3rd Generation Nest devices claim to be able to also control hot water, does this change the answer above?

Yes, the above was posted back in October 2015 while we were still only offering the 2nd Generation Nest Thermostat. Now that the 3rd Generation Nest has become available to us, separate control of hot water, in addition to central heating, is now a standard feature of the device. Please note however that an installer would still need to assess your home heating system to ensure it is compatible.

For more information see here. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 97golf

Hi,
    Is the free NEST installation only available to new customers? I've been with EI for about 6 years and am interested in NEST but don;t fancy stumping up €99 for something you offer for free!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi 97golf,

Thanks for your interest.

The best people to contact for the most detailed information regarding this particular query are our dedicated Home Services team, on 1850 30 50 85 or 1850 372 333 (their telephone lines are open until 6pm). Do have your account details to hand also.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beanhead

Hi 97golf,

Thanks for your interest.

The best people to contact for the most detailed information regarding this particular query are our dedicated Home Services team, on 1850 30 50 85 or 1850 372 333 (their telephone lines are open until 6pm). Do have your account details to hand also.

Kind regards,
    Una

________
    It is available to existing customers, it's a loyalty 24 month signup, just did it, overall an impressive upgrade over the previous controller & excellent to be able to control remotely with the nest app

• Registered Users Posts: 19 97golf

beanhead wrote: »
    It is available to existing customers, it's a loyalty 24 month signup, just did it, overall an impressive upgrade over the previous controller & excellent to be able to control remotely with the nest app

Great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm interested in getting this. If I sign up to this as a new customer and the installer says it will only heat the radiators and not water(or theres some other unforeseen problem),do I still have to proceed with the 2 year contract?

• Advertisement

Hi toby2111,

Thanks for your post.
    toby2111 wrote:
    If I sign up to this as a new customer and the installer says it will only heat the radiators and not water(or theres some other unforeseen problem),do I still have to proceed with the 2 year contract?

If it turns out that your heating system isn't compatible with the functionality of the 3rd Generation Nest, you don't have to go ahead with the 2-year contract. You can also cancel the changeover entirely if you switched from another supplier specifically to avail of the offer.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,
    David

Does the nest have same functionality as a 7 day programme timer? I'm looking to change my old 24 hour clock timer so am interested in this if it does.

Hi toby2111,
    toby2111 wrote:
    Does the nest have same functionality as a 7 day programme timer?

The Nest is a thermostat that learns your heating habits over time, and adjusts the heating accordingly. The idea is that you will no longer need to program it yourself; it will do the work for you.

This differs from the kind of timers you adjust manually on a daily or weekly basis. You can find more information on our website here, and for more in-depth product detail, we would recommend looking here on the official Nest website.

I hope this helps. If there's anything else we can help with do let us know.

Regards,
    David

If I sign up on this Nest offer, do I get to keep the Nest thermostat at the end of the 2 year contract? Or is it still owned by Electric Ireland?

Hi toby2111,

Thank you for getting in touch.

The Nest thermostat would be the customer's after the two years. The contract effectively pays for the Nest and its installation (the savings via paperless billing and payment for the two years cover this cost).

Kind regards,
    Una

________

I'm interested in signing up to the Nest Thermostat deal but am a bit concerned after reading this article- https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/05/revolv-devices-bricked-google-nest-smart-home

What would happen if I did sign up,got Nest installed and a few months later they shut it down,leaving me(and countless others) with a useless device? Whats Electric Irelands stance on this? Seeing as its a 2 year contract, would you offer a free alternative replacement?

Hi toby2111,

Thank you for bearing with us while we checked into this.

We can confirm that Nest Ireland themselves are the people to contact directly with this query.

Regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement