Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Year J1 Work Visa

Options
  • 07-10-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I've just started my 4th and final year of a bachelors degree in computer science and I'm seriously considering applying for a J1 work visa. I have my heart set on San Diego/LA, more towards San Diego as I hear LA is a bit rough.

Just wondering how much the year long j1 costs in total? And has anyone went to SD/LA to intern at a company as a software dev or any other tech position? Was it easy to find work? What is the pay like? Would you advise on doing it?

Any help would be great!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bburke

That's a lot cheaper than I thought. That's good.
    Yeah LA or San Fran would be better for big multi-nationals but supposedly San Diego has a lot of good start-ups.
    I'd go to LA either just heard San Diego is a lovely lovely place.
    You ever been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Hi bburke,

A few years ago, after my final year of college in Software Engineering, I moved to San Diego on a summer J-1 work/travel visa to look for a job. This gave me about three months to get a feel for areas and have some interviews. As soon as I landed a job (got through a US friend, the company has since shut their SD office), I started my 1 year J1 work visa application. I headed home, got the visa and came back to the job. It wasn't the easiest trying to find a job, but having a few weeks/months before the 1 year started was definitely a help. I would look into this and see if you can do it. As long as you are not subject to the two-year home rule and can financially support yourself, it may be a good option!

Advertisement