Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to be employable

Options
  • 07-10-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi. A friend of mine was thinking about going into teaching. Their favourite subjects are French Business Science and Maths. They also like Geography Economics and English.

What combination of the subjects above would make it easy for them to get a job

I know there aren't many posts going around atm but they still want to steam ahead anyway.

Which discipline of teaching is in high demand atm or will be in about five or six years. I have heard that Irish and Home Ec teachers are like gold dust but they don't like Irish and they'd probably be the only male home Ec teacher on the island of Ireland

Thanks a mil for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

French and maths. Nothing wrong with male home ec teacher

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

On the contrary, surely a male Home Ec teacher would be an asset for a school? It shows the students that it's not a "girls" subject for one thing (this might not be as big of an issue as it was when I was in secondary school)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We used to have a male chef helped out with some Home Ec. classes - in the old days when everything wasn't tied up in the TC and red tape and ticking boxes. He added a huge dimension to the practical end of the subject, trained some kids who were interest in basic kitchen work (so that they could get part time jobs) and led to a number of them going into it as a career.

I know for sure there are female Woodwork and Technology teachers - is Home Ec. still so segregated?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JeSuisSeosamh

Sorry lads. I didn't mean anything by that remark about male Home ex Teachers. Having one would be pretty cool though. But anyway. What combination would you say is in the highest demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Sorry lads. I didn't mean anything by that remark about male Home ex Teachers. Having one would be pretty cool though. But anyway. What combination would you say is in the highest demand

If you don't like a subject don't try to get qualified to teach it.

This is the worst way to make such an important decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

If he or she genuinely loves and is skilled at Maths, definitely that.

I'm a Maths teacher myself and I do feel it's an asset, as subjects go - obviously a job is never guaranteed, but I'd say you'd have a better chance than with something like English, and I've also found that Maths grinds are always in demand.

However, if they'd just be picking it because of the slightly better job prospects, then it's obviously not a good idea. You need to have the passion for it - students tend not to be particularly enthused about Maths as a subject, and you need to bring that natural energy/spark to the table yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I'm currently training to be a Home Ec teacher and I'm a male. There's only 2 guys in the whole Home Ec programme so definitely a large divide in the college. Hoping I stand out to employers when I qualify!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Teachers eligible to teach Business seem to be the most common so naturally I'd try steer away from that.
    Maths and the sciences (Physics & Chemistry) would be their best option.

Going with the subjects he/she enjoys the most - they'd get a job in the UK easily. Ireland is a completely different story.

Advertisement