Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on Xbox 360

Options
  • 08-10-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi, looking for a bit of advice please. My 7 year-old is looking for a games console for Christmas. Don't particularly want to splash out €300+ on an Xbox one, so my question is, if we get him an Xbox 360 , what are the main differences ? And will games for the 360 become obsolete ? And finally, can you use it to connect wirelessly to Netflix and YouTube. Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can get youtube and netflix on 360, make sure you get a newer model with wifi built in, older models needed an adapter. The 360 has been obsolete for about a year now and save for Fifa and some indie releases it's all been abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Might be best to think about the Xbox One if you can stretch it as Eventually newer games will not be made for the 360.

Benefits are:
    Xbox one has a BluRay player 360 does not.
    Xbox One for Gold members has had some Good Free games lately (Tomb raider; Just Cause 2 and Assasins creed)
    The Kinect would be better on the xbox one in particular for Skype if that is your thing.
    You could purchase a Xbox one without the kinect and buy the kinect at a later date.
    Xbox One will integrate with windows 10 PC better with future updates

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd probably buy a PS3 instead.
    Network access is free, though there is a subscriber service too.
    There's a great back catalogue of games, though the 360 has that too, but at this remove I'd give the edge to the PS3.
    The console is more robust as well, with fewer hardware failures and it plays blurays out of the box.
    Plus, you can pick up some great deals if you go preowned, with a whole heap of games thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I don't think obsolete is the right word, I think the Xbox 360 is still a good buy if your not interested in the latest releases. After Rise of the Tomb Raider there probably aren't any more big games coming out on it, but if you get Games with Gold for about €30 (cdkeys.com) a year you can get 2 free games a month on the 360 and 2 free games a month for the Xbox One even if you don't own it. Microsoft also own minecraft so that might be a consideration if your child is a big fan.

The Xbox One is also getting backward compatibility meaning it will be able to play a lot of the 360 games that you own. This includes all upcoming free Games with Gold games.

In terms of apps you can get netflix, youtube, 4all, rte player, 3player and plex is free on it too. You can also play videos from a usb stick plugged into the 360.

The serious hardware issues only affected the really old consoles, if its a model with wifi built in it there are no major hardware issues.

If you go with the 360 now you can save on the price of the console and games and in a couple of years pick up an Xbox One that will be cheaper and have a bigger hard drive than current models, plus you will have a massive library of games right away.

• Advertisement

I don't think obsolete is the right word, I think the Xbox 360 is still a good buy if your not interested in the latest releases. After Rise of the Tomb Raider there probably aren't any more big games coming out on it, but if you get Games with Gold for about €30 (cdkeys.com) a year you can get 2 free games a month on the 360 and 2 free games a month for the Xbox One even if you don't own it. Microsoft also own minecraft so that might be a consideration if your child is a big fan.

Hi, thanks for your input, yeah he's a huge minecraft fan, spends his days watching other people playing it on YouTube ! .... He's only 7, so no C.O.D. etc for a long time ! ..... Really can't justify spending close to 400 for a newer console at his age. I think I might go for it , gonna try get one from carphone warehouse (130 for 250gb on Boards bargain alerts page) & hope that 1. Order is fulfilled and 2. That's it's wifi enabled for Netflix etc.
    Thanks all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

130 isn't bad at all in fairness. By the time he is ready to move on to the next gen the price will probably have dropped significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

they can be got for peanuts on adverts if you buy them with a decent game collection and accesories.

sweetie wrote:
    they can be got for peanuts on adverts if you buy them with a decent game collection and accesories.

I had a look, didn't see any decent looking ones for all that much cheaper, also no warranty etc.

Advertisement