Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Qualification and Funding

Options
  • 08-10-2015 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

For these types of threads, I really try to keep to the facts so I do not wish to appear too robotic or rude!

Essentially:

I was on Jobseekers Allowance, and entitled to 100% of what was available. In other words, no deductions due to means.

I did a Jobbridge internship at a college, and really solidified what I needed to do to become a Further Education teacher. This was that I needed a teaching qualification otherwise I would not get employed by the state.

These courses are very expensive, not something I can afford at this point in time. I found that I could afford it with my social welfare payments, which would be great as it would be a real case of career progression.

I had to apply for Back to Education Allowance as you can not be on Jobseekers and in education. Back to Education took all my money away, I am now on 0 euro per week, down from 172 per week.

The course costs around 140 per week, plus travel and food.

I was refused Back to Education as I already have a Level 8 and Level 9 qualification and I can not do another or go backwards down the NQF.

This makes sense to me, as it stops people getting funded for courses which they are doing out of personal interest, or the hell of it.

However, for me, the fact that the Government are making the qualification a requirement means that regardless of the level of the course, it is career progression and the highest qualification out there.

I may not be able to finish the course now, probably is the case that I will not be able to due to fees.

Everyone I have worked with and talk to says that I have the aptitude, skill and enthusiasm for teaching, that I would make a great teacher. It may be big headed of me to say this, but I can imagine that the way the funding anomaly works will result in excellent prospective teachers being priced out of the course, and, the job.

Does anyone have any advice? I will be really struggling, soon.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

This is true to an extent. Unfortunately the requirements for becoming a teacher are what they are through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Government obviously don't want ordinary decent working class teachers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

bbk wrote: »
    Hi all,

For these types of threads, I really try to keep to the facts so I do not wish to appear too robotic or rude!

Essentially:

I was on Jobseekers Allowance, and entitled to 100% of what was available. In other words, no deductions due to means.

I did a Jobbridge internship at a college, and really solidified what I needed to do to become a Further Education teacher. This was that I needed a teaching qualification otherwise I would not get employed by the state.

These courses are very expensive, not something I can afford at this point in time. I found that I could afford it with my social welfare payments, which would be great as it would be a real case of career progression.

I had to apply for Back to Education Allowance as you can not be on Jobseekers and in education. Back to Education took all my money away, I am now on 0 euro per week, down from 172 per week.

The course costs around 140 per week, plus travel and food.

I was refused Back to Education as I already have a Level 8 and Level 9 qualification and I can not do another or go backwards down the NQF.

This makes sense to me, as it stops people getting funded for courses which they are doing out of personal interest, or the hell of it.

However, for me, the fact that the Government are making the qualification a requirement means that regardless of the level of the course, it is career progression and the highest qualification out there.

I may not be able to finish the course now, probably is the case that I will not be able to due to fees.

Everyone I have worked with and talk to says that I have the aptitude, skill and enthusiasm for teaching, that I would make a great teacher. It may be big headed of me to say this, but I can imagine that the way the funding anomaly works will result in excellent prospective teachers being priced out of the course, and, the job.

Does anyone have any advice? I will be really struggling, soon.

Thanks

There is a number of options open to ameliorate the worst of this.

First, contact the Mature Student or Access officer in your college (or whatever is the name of the office in your 3rd level that is charged with retaining students from deprived areas in 3rd level). They, or somebody in a similar position like Student Welfare, will have encountered solutions to similar situations.

Second, there is very likely a fund operated by your local Authority or VEC which supports students in precisely your situation, people who need a professional qualification for career progression but are not entitled to the conventional third-level grant.

Third, there should be a hardship fund of some sort in your college. Consult the relevant person about applying.

Fourth, many if not all third-level colleges are flexible about paying fees on time (I think the government asked them to), so I'd stretch that out as far as you can. You may get €500 here, €1000 there etc but they all add up. You also have a right to claim tax back on a portion of your fees through the tax of somebody else (e.g. a tax-paying relative) so that could add another €500 or so.

nil desperandum.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Is there anyway you can get a student loan? And defer the payments till you are finished?

I had to do this. Year 2 of teaching and I'm still paying it back. But had to be done or I wouldn't have been teaching today.

Advertisement