Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Pint in Dublin ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

People need to start boycotting these places, not going and telling others including tourists not to either. It's ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

I wouldn't pay that for a pint so if I went to a place that charged that much I would just leave but some people would pay that. What's the point of complaining about it? Businesses are entitled to charge whatever they want for products they sell. Their prices wouldn't be that high if they didn't have customers regularly paying it so unless you want to just complain about how other customers/people spend their money?...At this point, their price is probably some of their marketing. There really are simpletons that'd think paying for overpriced products puts them above others.

...those customers are morons though, honestly. Even if you're a tourist that price should strike you as odd lol. At least our most expensive pub isn't as expensive as the average one in Scandinavia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I can't see how those prices can be justified when most peoples wages are less now than they were in 2007/8. Also I'd imagine the wages of the bar staff haven't gone up since 2008.

The pubs in Temple Bar are now charging a good bit more for their drink than they did in the "Boom". They must be recession proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I don't drink any more so no chance ofcmw buying a pint, but that is shameful. Utter greed. Glad they were named and shamed!!!

Moved from After Hours. Please read the Dublin City charter before posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Simple. Most people in the temple bar are ahort term visitors to dublin who want to have a pint in 'the most famous pub'. Cost doesnt really matter, much like people who go to venice and want to have a drink/coffee in st marks square - theres a place round the corner thats half the price, but its nowhere near as busy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

While wages might have dropped in temple bar, rents have gone up. Prices are displayed now in pubs, so if you're not happy, don't pay. Plenty of people will pay. Late licence every night @415 per night, security every night. I don't know how they make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

beertons wrote: »
    While wages might have dropped in temple bar, rents have gone up. Prices are displayed now in pubs, so if you're not happy, don't pay. Plenty of people will pay. Late licence every night @415 per night, security every night. I don't know how they make a profit.

All the while, Wetherspoons can sell the same drinks for 3 euro :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

As I said in the other thread, this other crack of paying into a club or pub to have a few drinks is mental. I have been caught in a few situations where I have been off guard and waited around so just paid in. It's the first and last time I generally visit these places, the same apply's to over priced drink.

If they are paying 415/500€ a night in late fees, then they should get the relevant people to make a change in the laws. There really are some stupid alcohol laws in Ireland. I don't even know how its considered a solution to curbing a drink problem people have and lets be honest about it, if the Dail have a free bar open its hardly a great example to be setting out to the public.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

beertons wrote: »
    Prices are displayed now in pubs, so if you're not happy, don't pay.
    Very few pubs have a price list of all their beers on display -- there's no legal requirement to do so. And a huge number of pubs don't even comply with the useless watery price display laws we do have. But nobody seems to mind and nobody asks the price before ordering, so that'll be €7.45 please. Oh, sorry, we put it up to €8 yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

BeerNut wrote: »
    Very few pubs have a price list of all their beers on display -- there's no legal requirement to do so. And a huge number of pubs don't even comply with the useless watery price display laws we do have. But nobody seems to mind and nobody asks the price before ordering, so that'll be €7.45 please. Oh, sorry, we put it up to €8 yesterday.

I actually ask in most places in town, and I tell you something for nothing, if I was to order a pint and it was 7.45€ I wouldn't be paying it. Sure you could get 4 cans for that even 6 and have them at home and chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Where's the wetherspoons in temple bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

TallGlass wrote: »
    I actually ask in most places in town, and I tell you something for nothing, if I was to order a pint and it was 7.45€ I wouldn't be paying it. Sure you could get 4 cans for that even 6 and have them at home and chill out.
    Old argument. But €7.45 for a pint in a place that once you walk outside are greeted with a river of pish & puke from as early as 7.00pm on a weekend evening is an utter disgrace. The place is a kip, any way you slice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

BeerNut wrote: »

They don't have to display all but they do have to display the top 16 most sold drinks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Caliden wrote: »
    They don't have to display all but they do have to display the top 16 most sold drinks.
    Citizens Information is wrong there. Nothing in the law says that.

Caliden wrote: »
    This lists 16 types of drink. It's the fact that you only need to list types of drink that makes this uselessly watery. It belongs to an age when there was one type of ale and one type of gin. In the current on-trade drinks market, the "one kind" clause makes the law a charter for sharp practice.

All of which is fairly immaterial given how many places don't display the statutory list and don't get prosecuted for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

TallGlass wrote: »
    I tell you something for nothing, if I was to order a pint and it was 7.45€ I wouldn't be paying it.

I'd agree with you there. But I was out with a friend one night in Temple Bar and he had just bought me a round so it was my turn to buy him a drink as well as my self. When I ordered I was shocked to find out that a pint was over 7 Euro.

I could of walked out but then I would of looked cheap after my friend had just bought me a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Tourists from all over the world are warned off Temple Bar by everyone from hotel staff to locals. There is no reason for anyone to use Temple Bar as anything other than a shortcut from Dame St. to the Quays. The reason why local Dublin people are still using it as anything other than that or as a place of work is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Yummy tourist revenue - what local Dubliner drinks in Temple Bar sober?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Blackbird in Rathmines is really expensive, bought a Fischer and Sierra Nevada and it was €13.60.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Lux23 wrote: »
    Blackbird in Rathmines is really expensive, bought a Fischer and Sierra Nevada and it was €13.60.

How anybody drinks in there is beyond me, with Camden Street so close and being in the centre of rathmines I honestly can't see why people don't boycott that place. Sure they sell craft beer, but even that is at a premium to other bars for its location, atmosphere and everything else that comes with a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Just do what I did a couple of years ago in a well known rip off pub in Temple Bar.

I had noticed that they were increasing the prices throughout the night (a sly tactic)so the prices they were charging did not reflect the prices shown on the door on the the way in.

So I ordered several pints, three glasses of wine, some spirits and mixers......came close to 110 euro. When it was all placed in front of me and the price quoted I told them I was not paying as it was far too expensive and that I had gotten the same round the day before and it was cheaper to which they denied. I was told that the prices are on the door to which I told them that those prices have risen as they very well knew they had in the last couple of hours.

I then walked out listening to the bar manager calling me back and cursing me out of it! Looking forward to going back to the Temple Bar bar next time I am home and doing the same thing again, maybe then they may learn a lesson!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lux23 wrote: »

They charge €5 for a pint of Vietnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Birneybau wrote: »
    They charge €5 for a pint of Vietnow.

Vietwhen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

frag420 wrote: »
    Vietwhen?

NOW! Yeah, stupid name, lovely beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Wetherspoons in Birmingham airport charges £4.95 - that's almost €7 for a pint of Guinness.

And that's mid afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zascar wrote: »
    People need to start boycotting these places, not going and telling others including tourists not to either. It's ridiculous.

It's still much cheaper than any toursit place in Paris or London. There's no cover charge and they provide entertainment. Tourists do get value for money there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do wethetspoons provide live music ?
    Your comparing two different products. Wethetspoons pricing is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

frag420 wrote: »
    Just do what I did a couple of years ago in a well known rip off pub in Temple Bar.

I had noticed that they were increasing the prices throughout the night (a sly tactic)so the prices they were charging did not reflect the prices shown on the door on the the way in.

So I ordered several pints, three glasses of wine, some spirits and mixers......came close to 110 euro. When it was all placed in front of me and the price quoted I told them I was not paying as it was far too expensive and that I had gotten the same round the day before and it was cheaper to which they denied. I was told that the prices are on the door to which I told them that those prices have risen as they very well knew they had in the last couple of hours.

I then walked out listening to the bar manager calling me back and cursing me out of it! Looking forward to going back to the Temple Bar bar next time I am home and doing the same thing again, maybe then they may learn a lesson!!

After hearing variations of that story its kinda hard to believe it really happened to anyone, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Temple bar is a rip off but I like to go there now and again because there is good atmosphere.....it's quite rare that I do though. I was in JFK before and I paid 14 dollars for a pint including tip. That is the most I have ever paid for a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Giving out that Temple Bar is a rip off. Is like moaning about a cocktail in a Restaurant at Times Square. Tourist areas charge a lot more for drinks, as they know tourists will pay it. Its not "rip-off Republic". Its capitalism at its finest. People will pay a higher price, so why not charge them it?

Advertisement