Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Pint in Dublin ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

poisonated wrote: »
    Temple bar is a rip off but I like to go there now and again because there is good atmosphere.....it's quite rare that I do though. I was in JFK before and I paid 14 dollars for a pint including tip. That is the most I have ever paid for a pint.

I paid £6 for a pint in a pub just off Trafalgar Square and I paid €8.70 for a pint in a pub beside the Seine.
    It's just not worth the hassle of travelling 20 minutes off the beaten track to save a few quid when all I want is one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

I live in a medium-sized town in North Tipperary. A pint of Guinness is e4.20 in most places and lager e4.40 - some places aligned to the Vintners Assoc charge about 20cent more but in one bar you can get three pints of Guinness or lager (one of the cheaper ones) for 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

deni20000 wrote: »
    I live in a medium-sized town in North Tipperary. A pint of Guinness is e4.20 in most places and lager e4.40 - some places aligned to the Vintners Assoc charge about 20cent more but in one bar you can get three pints of Guinness or lager (one of the cheaper ones) for 10 euro.

That's pretty standard in most places in Ireland.
    Pubs in the main street will charge a bit more than those out of the town centre, and if you know where to go, you can get a good cheap pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How anybody drinks in there is beyond me, with Camden Street so close and being in the centre of rathmines I honestly can't see why people don't boycott that place. Sure they sell craft beer, but even that is at a premium to other bars for its location, atmosphere and everything else that comes with a pub.

I agree, I normally only have one or two there and then walk over to the Headline or into town. It's a cool bar but I can't help but feel that I am paying a premium on my pint to cover their bar staff's tattoo bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what's a pint in the airport these days?
    I paid 11.88 for a pint of 1664 in Singapore a couple of weeks ago :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭LeBash

what's a pint in the airport these days? I paid 11.88 for a pint of 1664 in Singapore a couple of weeks ago

A 99 ice cream is 8 euro there, so no surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

After hearing variations of that story its kinda hard to believe it really happened to anyone, ever.

You don't think this has ever happened...........ever? Not even once?

I find it hard to believe that you find this hard to believe!!

Anyway it did happen, I was there, it was I that did it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I would be in favor of a legal requirement to display the price of drinks AT THE BAR, preferably on the taps and bottles. I like the way in some craft pubs, like the Galway Bay ones I believe, they have a large board listing all the beers with country of origin, alcohol %, and price. And the full bar menu is sitting on the bar in full view.

If Temple Bar pubs can raise the price after a certain hour, why don't they lower the price earlier in the day or mid-week, especially off-season? The atmosphere can be fun (pretend to be a tourist for the day) sometimes, but I'm much less likely to order a second pint at those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

How anybody drinks in there is beyond me
    Most people aren't as price sensitive as you maybe? Blackbird does very well, always busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ScottSF wrote: »
    I would be in favor of a legal requirement to display the price of drinks AT THE BAR, preferably on the taps and bottles. I like the way in some craft pubs, like the Galway Bay ones I believe, they have a large board listing all the beers with country of origin, alcohol %, and price. And the full bar menu is sitting on the bar in full view.

If Temple Bar pubs can raise the price after a certain hour, why don't they lower the price earlier in the day or mid-week, especially off-season? The atmosphere can be fun (pretend to be a tourist for the day) sometimes, but I'm much less likely to order a second pint at those prices.

They made temporary price cuts illegal a few years back. The GBB bars do a great job with the menus alright its one of the few places where you know how much your pint is going to cost before they ask you for the money! I guess its so you don't get that er you're charging me how much for this random beer I have never heard of before?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I was in there a few months ago. I had a couple of friends over from Denmark who were looking forward to a pint and a bit of trad music. It was midweek and the only place I could think of that would have trad music at that time and day was The Temple Bar. It was a bit pricy, but couldn't really complain as the entertainment was spot on and there was a decent atmosphere, a good crowd but not so bad you couldn't find a seat.

I don't know why people get their nickers in such a twist over it. It is what it is, an alright place where a tourist is guaranteed a pint and a bit of ceol. Sure there are possibly better options if they shop around, but it's convenient and convenience generally costs more. Nobody is being forced to go there, even most tourists are informed it's overpriced but a lot still go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was in there a few months ago. I had a couple of friends over from Denmark who were looking forward to a pint and a bit of trad music. It was midweek and the only place I could think of that would have trad music at that time and day was The Temple Bar. It was a bit pricy, but couldn't really complain as the entertainment was spot on and there was a decent atmosphere, a good crowd but not so bad you couldn't find a seat.

I don't know why people get their nickers in such a twist over it. It is what it is, an alright place where a tourist is guaranteed a pint and a bit of ceol. Sure there are possibly better options if they shop around, but it's convenient and convenience generally costs more. Nobody is being forced to go there, even most tourists are informed it's overpriced but a lot still go anyway.

Agree with this post. If I'm a tourist on a brief 3 day city break in a foreign city, I want to go somewhere with a critical mass of bars, nightlife and buzz. If it means paying a bit more per pint, then it's part of the package and I make sure my budget for the 3 days or so will stretch to that. I won't know where the local bars in other cities are and my time will be too precious trying to google map cheaper off the beaten track venues. Hence the appeal to tourists to Dublin. It's all centralized in one location.

I don't understand why Dublin residents here get so peed off by Temple Bar prices and use words like boycotting. Seriously, do many Dubs use (or want to use) Temple Bar as their local nightlife venue every weekend? - I see it as someplace you'd only go very occasionally or if you were entertaining visitors/relatives from abroad maybe. Only then, would I absorb the inflated price but I would not go there every weekend and then complain about the prices or alternatively, take some emotive stance that I'm boycotting the place if I don't go there. I would just choose to drink elsewhere because as a regular pub punter, I prefer less touristy venues for my usual nightlife.

Suggesting a boycott of these pubs is like suggesting a boycott of Spar and Centra because they charge more than Tesco and Dunnes for the exact same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

LeBash wrote: »
    A 99 ice cream is 8 euro there, so no surprise

I once seen an 88 ice cream for 9 euro..

True story that..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

frag420 wrote: »

I'm Spartacus,

No, I'm sparta......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Most people aren't as price sensitive as you maybe? Blackbird does very well, always busy.

It's not even being price sensitive, its just not a great pub for what it means to offer, there are far better 5 minutes down the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

ongarboy wrote: »

I don't understand why Dublin residents here get so peed off by Temple Bar prices and use words like boycotting.

Nobody has a problem paying a bit more for a pint in Temple Bar.

The problem is the level of the price difference between Temple Bar and other City Centre pubs.

Like when pubs are charging over 7 Euro for a pint they are taking the piss out of their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Nobody has a problem paying a bit more for a pint in Temple Bar.

The problem is the level of the price difference between Temple Bar and other City Centre pubs.

Like when pubs are charging over 7 Euro for a pint they are taking the piss out of their customers.

We have the least fluctuations in prices in most of Europe. Most places you can get a pint for 1 or 2 euro yet pay 12 euro down the road.

A pint is only part of the product your paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

what's a pint in the airport these days?
    I paid 11.88 for a pint of 1664 in Singapore a couple of weeks ago :eek:

A pint of Dublin airport well for a Guinness as of a few weeks ago was 5.10

As for Temple Bar.. The unfortunate thing is that it's hyped up by tourist bords and travel sites and the likes etc as an authentic Irish drinking experience which we all know it's not, as there are pretty much no Irish people there, it's a mega rip off and can be a bit dangerous at night, ok sometimes the day too. At the end of the day people are going because they are told to go there and it does have a bit of atmosphere. I pleaded with some Canadian visitors I had over to go elsewhere but they insisted on going into Temple Bar and loved it.. I was dragged along and it was about 7 Euro's for a Guinness about two years ago now. It was a night that there were World Cup Qualifying matches on and I asked the bar man where he was showing the Irish game as I could see screens with England, Scotland, Wales even Germany on... his answer : Ireland ? how many Irish people do you think are in here ! The pub was The Oliver St John Gogarty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

frag420 wrote: »

Seriously I think your post is a spoof, I've heard it repeated in its variations too many times to believe you or anyone else.

If Temple Bar pubs can raise the price after a certain hour, why don't they lower the price earlier in the day or mid-week

This is in fact what they do.

They don't increase the price. They start off the day cheaper than their advertised rate and then the "discount" reduces as the night goes on.

The final price of the night is the one which matches the price at the front door.

It's the same with hotels, they have "rack rates" which are extortionate prices that you would never pay except in dire need, but they are allowed to charge up to that price as they see fit which is why you see prices increasing with demand. They're not actually increasing, they're just no longer discounting their advertised rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If Temple Bar pubs can raise the price after a certain hour, why don't they lower the price earlier in the day or mid-week, especially off-season?
    The "happy hour" law made it illegal to lower the price once open, so it must start low as said above. Or they can have a "happy day" if they want.

If the governement was to do anything to curb drinking I would like to see pubs forced to charge exactly half price for a half pint. Many of the craft beer pubs already do, or just a little more.

In the temple bar pub at night 2 half pints of guinness or murphys is €9.90.

Pubs take advantage of the lax price display laws, and the fact that people have some hangup about inquiring about prices before purchasing this particular product, while they would enquire about most others. This is even more important when the product is seen as a specific customer request, i.e. not something which is easily put back on the shelf, so lots of people do not like to refuse the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I ran a bar for about 18 months and it was only tourists and students who inquired on the price of a drink or pint. We had a blackboard with prices but you might not be able to tell the full picture from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lux23 wrote: »
    I ran a bar for about 18 months and it was only tourists and students who inquired on the price of a drink or pint.
    You didn't get the beer geek crowd? :P

This is exactly why we have poor choice and high prices: customer behaviour which involves just asking for the usual without looking at what's available or what it costs. Inertia and assumptions mean €€€ for pubs and breweries. Whine about it after the fact? Post your receipt to Facebook? Go for it: they still have your money.

Advertisement