Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6s; 2 different A9 processors.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What should we call this one? Cpugate or batterygate?

Anyway I'd be extremely sceptical of those tests. Too many variables that could negatively or positively impact battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What should we call this one? Cpugate or batterygate?

Anyway I'd be extremely sceptical of those tests. Too many variables that could negatively or positively impact battery life.
    Including the one where one phone seems to have a sim card and the other doesn't! You'd expect the one without to last longer but not necessarily so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Mine is the Samsung one. Seems fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ugh what a crock of absolute ****e.

until we get a test that has two identically setup phones with the only difference being the A9 SoC manufacturer then these stories are literally the "lose 10lb of belly fat using this one simple trick" of the tech journalism industry.

It sucks that there's a difference but majority of people won't even notice.

*EDIT*
    Both phones were tested using the same backup, same settings. Also tried testing them as new phones and results were similar.”

yet one of the screenshots has NO SIM in it. Which actually makes this kinda worse. The NO SIM one is the samsung cpu. surely if an iPhone detects it doesn't have a sim card it would shut down the cellular chip which would be using substantial power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Until it's proven that in regular, everyday usage there's actually a difference, it's all a load of nonsense.

There's a video on YouTube comparing two phones with different chips in normal usage and they're identical. I'll try to find it and post it. Found it http://youtu.be/fde15ih0N2o

Maybe the geekbench battery test consumes more power on the Samsung chip than the tmsc or something.

People on mac rumours and Reddit are getting riled up over nothing, it's hilarious. Until they found out they had a Samsung chip they were happy with the battery life they were getting, now it's the worst thing ever. Even funnier was last week when it was discovered the Samsung was 14nm and the tsmc was 16nm, people were trying to get their phone replaced by Apple because they thought the tmsc was an inferior chip :D

• Advertisement

usurely if an iPhone detects it doesn't have a sim card it would shut down the cellular chip which would be using substantial power.
    The cell functionality still has to be active to make emergency calls etc., depending on what cell it's locked onto it could be using more power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

TheChizler wrote: »
    The cell functionality still has to be active to make emergency calls etc., depending on what cell it's locked onto it could be using more power.

Can any mobile phone make calls without a SIM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Graham wrote: »
    Can any mobile phone make calls without a SIM?

Yeah but only to 112 or 999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

I bought a brand new 6s from Apple the other day and was the Samsung chip inside. As soon as I set it up and had it connected to iTunes through my pc I noticed the thing was much hotter then usual. Seems like the sites are correct about the Samsung chip being worse of the two.
    I'm sending it straight back and going to try and get my hands on one of the other tsmc chip somewhere down the line.
    My 6 has a tsmc chip in it and runs fine, and no overheating.

• Advertisement

stoksyXL wrote: »
    I bought a brand new 6s from Apple the other day and was the Samsung chip inside. As soon as I set it up and had it connected to iTunes through my pc I noticed the thing was much hotter then usual. Seems like the sites are correct about the Samsung chip being worse of the two.
    I'm sending it straight back and going to try and get my hands on one of the other tsmc chip somewhere down the line.
    My 6 has a tsmc chip in it and runs fine, and no overheating.
    Any phone will get hotter while it's charging. How do you know it was hotter than another iPhone 6s with the TSMC chip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How do you find out which chip is in the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

How do you find out which chip is in the phone?
    cause she/he listens to crazies on the Internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some links posted in the other thread:

Ars Technica (who used benchmarks and were keen to point out the limitations of such tests and the potential that other components might have been causing the variation):
    So there are definitely circumstances under which the TSMC phone will last longer than the Samsung phone, but it's not a universal problem. A Samsung chip that's mostly idling or even one under modest CPU and GPU load, though, is going to behave in just about the same way as a TSMC chip. And the kinds of CPU-intensive work that the Samsung chip seems to struggle with just aren't that common on smartphones. Most of the time, iPhone 6S battery life should be similar no matter which chip your phone is using.

Apple's official response:
    Certain manufactured lab tests which run the processors with a continuous heavy workload until the battery depletes are not representative of real-world usage, since they spend an unrealistic amount of time at the highest CPU performance state. It's a misleading way to measure real-world battery life. Our testing and customer data show the actual battery life of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, even taking into account variable component differences, vary within just 2-3% of each other.

Consumer Reports (who employed real world usage tests rather than benchmarks):
    We found no appreciable differences in battery life or temperature between the iPhones 6s models with the varying chips.

Bottom line: Smartphones are as complicated as the people who use them, so it’s impossible to say with certainty that the battery- and temperature-performance differences we measured in this chipgate testing will be consistent in every imaginable scenario. But if iPhone 6s users are ever disappointed with their phones, we’re confident it won’t be because they bought the model with the “wrong” chip.

Advertisement