Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking about apprenticeship, help

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mech123

im just going to agree with you because thats easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

mech123 wrote: »
    im just going to agree with you because thats easier.

or because you can't think of a logical debate and aren't able to twist my words any further? any advice i have parted with on this thread, i mean with the best of intention.

630094.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Augeo wrote: »
    You won't last p1ssing time as an apprentice with your attitude. Also you seem to have a huge attitude with earning less than €200/week as a 1st year apprentice, you won't be happy as well as having an awful attitude.

He doesn't want to be an apprentice. He wants to go into a garage, work on all the interesting jobs, get paid big money and then swan about in a big car telling all his mates he is a mechanic. Seen it a million times.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

what attitude do you gather from this ? i stood up for myself after you recommended i should change tyres for the rest of my life.

He only suggested that if you were worried about money, you should work for the like of advanced pitstop...No one mentioned anything about being a failure until you did :confused:

Also, it's my job to analyse commodity prices, Reliance on fossil fuels is quickly becoming a thing of the past,you can see it happening, the price of a barrel of oil has dropped $70 in the last 14 months.
    Once someone works out how to safely handle and use hydrogen, The need for petrol and diesel will drop off the face of the earth.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

And Tesla, Bmw i8's, Porsche 918's? Granted they're hybrids but they're going in the right direction, Hardly failures.

• Advertisement

anyone on here actually doing an apprenticeship or completed one in recent years that can actually give me advice? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the advice of bucketybuck while quite harsh, is probably best, seeing as he is hiring apprentices, it's people like him that you need to impress.

lots of people who have at least began an apprenticeship have posted.

is there anything in particular you are wondering?

i agree some of his advice is good but despite him giving out about my attitude i would suspect he has a big attitude problem himself tbh by the way he has replied.

anything really from the buying tools side of things or whether to look towards trucks or something else before going with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

The best apprentices and mechanics by far are those prepared to work, so I much prefer to weed out the bluffers early. The lad who gets stuck in no matter how ****ty the job? He will win in the long run. The guy on his phone every ten minutes who thinks he shouldn't have to empty bins, he can jog on.

Our recruitment process is informal, simply because we get so many approaches, so many lads walking in the door and asking us for a start. If we are hiring we judge them case by case, if you have contacts that helps get you in the door but attitude from a young lad plays a huge part.

We are a main dealer, currently have around 20 lads on the floor. At the minute we have 5 apprentices at varying stages of development, and luckily for us some very good lads as well. Theres about 4 others who we got rid off this year for generally being useless.

What do we offer on qualification? We offer a job, there is a serious lack of good mechanics out there and we are expanding, so we don't want to lose good lads when we have them. That only applies to the good ones though, there are a few that did qualify, but they were medicore so we didn't cry too many tears when they left.

The average wage for an experienced mechanic with us is around €15 p/h, with plenty of overtime and breakdown work available. If a lad is there ten years from apprenticeship and is doing a good job we will be happy to speak about higher rates, we don't want to lose the good ones. He has to offer something though, he has to be very good at the job, like I said before, there are plenty of fitters out there, we want technicians.

Just to put things in perspective for OP how average that wage is, I was taking home 485 a week for 40 hours, so the equivalent of 12 euro an hour, by the time i was a second year apprentice electrician. Bad money lad, we used laugh at the mechanics in fás cause they were on such shocking money.

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Just to put things in perspective for OP how average that wage is, I was taking home 485 a week for 40 hours, so the equivalent of 12 euro an hour, by the time i was a second year apprentice electrician. Bad money lad, we used laugh at the mechanics in fás cause they were on such shocking money.

i know, and your a in a trade that doesnt have much tool expense at all compared with a mechanic, it still wouldn't stop me from being a mechanic but there should seriously be something done about it ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

i know, and your a in a trade that doesnt have much tool expense at all compared with a mechanic, it still wouldn't stop me from being a mechanic but there should seriously be something done about it ...

The problem is there is no union for mechanics. All of the other trades have their own unions to bargain for them. You don't actually have to be qualified as a mechanic in this country to work on cars. Anyone could open up a workshop and begin working away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

your getting a bit ahead of everything there. diesel and petrol is not going anywhere any time soon so theres no point even talking about it.
    Including your apprenticeship, you'll be working for about 50 years.

Take a look at some cars from the 60's. Compare those to modern cars and that's the type of advance you can expect to see over your career (or more likely, the first 20 years of that career given the fact technology develops exponentially).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Sleepy wrote: »
    Including your apprenticeship, you'll be working for about 50 years.

Take a look at some cars from the 60's. Compare those to modern cars and that's the type of advance you can expect to see over your career (or more likely, the first 20 years of that career given the fact technology develops exponentially).
    Absolutely. I have a '79 Fiat, and there's more electronics in one of my Avensis headlights than the whole Fiat. In fact there isn't a single PCB at all in the Fiat.

Advertisement