Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyfriend in Beaumont with a head bleed and I'm from donegal

Options
  • 08-10-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Boyfriends in Beaumont hospital and I'm from Donegal , and me his mother and father can't find somewhere to stay and all of us are on social welfare and we can't afford to stay somewhere every single night because we plan to stay until he's out of high dependency, and we can't travel to Donegal every day because it's 5 hours away , we intend to stay to make sure he's ok and we have been kicked out of the hospital waiting room and I'm just wondering if there are any services available or anything or anything anyone can do eg social workers , social welfare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Maybe try St. Vincent de Paul. I also wonder would social welfare make an emergency payment under the circumstances? I wish you and your family well and hope your boyfriend makes a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Moved from Science, Health & Environment/Researcher.

Mary - HostelWorld has some links to very cheap overnight accommodation that might be a help and hittheroad.ie will help you find your way around Dublin via the Public Transport if you're not familiar with where you're going to.

I wish I could offer something more concrete. I hope you boyfriend makes a swift and full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, I've heard good reports about Isaacs from Australian back packer friends of my niece. Backpacker type tourists on a budget, would be the majority of guests, in case the word "hostel" puts you off. It is next door to Busaras too, so its dead handy if you are coming to/from Dublin by bus. It's a 5 min walk to O'Connell St, where you could catch a bus to Beaumont Hospital very easily. There is no free or cheap parking near Isaacs, as its in the heart of the city centre. So if you have a car, you may have to stash the car elsewhere at night. The area around Beaumont is largely residential, so finding a quiet side street to park it at night, shouldn't be too hard. Best wishes to your bf.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Also ask the Sister in the ward or at the information desk in the front hall about help & accommodation, they might be able to assist if you explain the problem. There has to be some sort of patient/family care & welfare department in Beaumont hospital too, this won't be an unusual situation for them.
    Good luck with everything!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are a number of B&B's around the Beaumont area that would be used to situations such as yours.
    There are a bunch of B&B's in Santry as well which is very close to the hospital.

But contact the hospital as TherapyBoy above says, they would be used to facilitating this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask to see the social worker in the hospital tomorrow morning and seek their advice. For tonight, try one of the hostels or B&B's mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

+ 1 for the above post - the medical social worker in Beaumont is excellent. She really helped our family a few years back As far as I remember her name is Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Defo talk to the social worker, is there any accommodation linked to the hospital? I know that in Vincents there is very cheap accommodation on the hospital grounds that is provided for this exact situation. I knew a Canadian family who had to spend almost two months over here because there son was in ICU and they stayed there, it was extremely basic and not very comfortable but that didnt matter to them. I think it might have been old student nurse accommodation.

I know that is in Vincents but perhaps beaumont has some other service in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

When my Dad was in ICU the social worker came around to us and checked if we needed some help with this. We were only down the road so were OK, but it was very stressful for us all. Hope you get some help and that your boyfriend recovers speedily.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Yes as previous poster has said St Vincent's provided accommodation for my family for 5 weeks when I was in ICU there. They used a hospital room and also a room in the old nursing building. I worked as a nurse in CUH in Cork and they also had free accommodation for those who badly needed it so it's well worth asking a nurse on the ward about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, how about changing your thread title to something like "Cheap Accommodation near Beaumont Hospital."

The current one doesn't really give an exact idea of what you asking about. When I first saw it, I thought it was for directions, or public transport options on how to get to Beaumont, if you are coming from Donegal. I'm probably not the only one, as that kind of stuff gets asked about a lot on here.

Advertisement