Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres 11 flights in that first hour in the morning at George best airport .
    Because of the mix of regional planes and smaller jets lets say an average of 130 passengers.
    Thats then 1400 odd passengers, all needing to go through a couple of scanners at security, and you reckon you'll breeze through security ??????

yes, there are quiet times like 1 flight between 3.45 and 4.50, but to extrapolate the busiest time of the day with a slack part of the day is not a valid comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No less than an hour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Locker10a wrote: »
    shugy wrote: »
    The gate closes 25/30mins before departure provided all is ontime, especially in the morning !
    Depending on the airport the que for security could be 15 mins!! So no you need to be earlier than that

An hour should do then, 6am. What you mean security! I've flown out before in George best airport and didn't need 15mins for security. Was awhile back so couldn't remember how much time need to be there before flight.
    Yes bars are open this early!
    You obviously don't fly often, 15 mins at security is not uncommon, all it takes is to get stuck behind a huge holiday flight of passengers who don't fly often and aren't remotely prepared for security!

If bar opened. Don't mind going 2 hours earlier. Is bar near the gate for Glasgow?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The gate closes 25/30mins before departure provided all is ontime, especially in the morning !
    Depending on the airport the que for security could be 15 mins!! So no you need to be earlier than that

An hour should do then, 6am. What you mean security! I've flown out before in George best airport and didn't need 15mins for security. Was awhile back so couldn't remember how much time need to be there before flight.
    Yes bars are open this early!
    You obviously don't fly often, 15 mins at security is not uncommon, all it takes is to get stuck behind a huge holiday flight of passengers who don't fly often and aren't remotely prepared for security!

If bar opened. Don't mind going 2 hours earlier. Is bar near the gate for Glasgow?

Sorry my crystal ball is in for a service at the moment, you might just have to wait and see....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't get too intoxicated, or you may not make it to your flight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm due to fly with Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart in three weeks. My main bag will fall within the prescribed limits for weight and size for the cabin, but I also need to bring an additional smaller bag with a camera and some lenses, and a netbook.

Unlike Non-regional Aer Lingus flights, the AL website says that I can only bring the one bag in the cabin, so what is the likelihood I will hit trouble with the camera bag? Will they be mega strict over 1 extra bag? For obvious reasons, I don't want to check these into the hold in case they get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Doubt you will have much problem, but at the boarding gate they may invite you to put main bag in the hold free of charge - collect from baggage belt as normal at the other end. It may depend on the passenger load on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Doubt you will have much problem, but at the boarding gate they may invite you to put main bag in the hold free of charge - collect from baggage belt as normal at the other end. It may depend on the passenger load on the day.

+1 it all depends on the passenger load on the day. Sling the smaller bag over your shoulder when presenting your boarding card at the gate and act like it isn't there, carry the bigger bag in your hand, see what happens. Not saying they won't notice the smaller bag but if it isn't too obvious, they may let it go.

Also If you do get onboard with both, please don't be one of those selfish travellers who put both bags into locker leaving someone else without space, but ONE (which ever fits) under the seat in front of you!

*this will not apply for exit rows

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

I'll be flying from Brussels to Dublin (Aer Lingus) in a few weeks time, hand luggage only, checked in online. I'll have a little over an hour between my train arriving and flight departing, am I cutting it too close? Has anyone any tips for getting through BRU fast? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

cgill wrote: »
    I'll be flying from Brussels to Dublin (Aer Lingus) in a few weeks time. I'll have a little over an hour between my train arriving and flight departing, am I cutting it too close? Has anyone any tips for getting through BRU fast? Thanks.

Had a friend going through BRU a few months back, said security was rather long, 2 security checks too (one upon entering the terminal, the other to get airside)

It seems very close to me, but probably manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I'll be flying from Brussels to Dublin (Aer Lingus) in a few weeks time, hand luggage only, checked in online. I'll have a little over an hour between my train arriving and flight departing, am I cutting it too close? Has anyone any tips for getting through BRU fast? Thanks.

Too close for me

Put your time and date on this website
    http://www.ifly.com/brussels-airport/wait-times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Belgian railways are by and large very efficient, but they sometimes have delays and changes too. Allow more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It would have been just about do-able in the past. But not any longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Do I need to book parking in Dublin?
    Flying out with Fr in the morning at 6.50, and was hoping to arrive around 5, and park in the red car park.
    Should I book it or will it much difference to cost / time?

Any info appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Hi, am flying ryanair in a few days.
    When i booked my ticket it asked me did i want to take baggage...i said yes and paid more money...its now saying i have 15kg check in luggage...
    So is check in luggage the bag that goes in the planes belly, ?? Can i also take carry on?
    Never fly and am a bit green.. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Yeah 2 carry ons. But don't take the piss on size.
    Check-in goes into the gold. Don't underestimate how long you could be queuing for the bag drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bowandarrow

Hi
    Flying tomor aer lingus regional... Just wondering my case is bigger then the dimensions its more like a 10kg case rather than 7 just wondering if they will have an issue
    thansk a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Hi
    Flying tomor aer lingus regional... Just wondering my case is bigger then the dimensions its more like a 10kg case rather than 7 just wondering if they will have an issue
    thansk a mil

Sorry, but you make have a problem here. The Aer Lingus regional flights are operated by ATR turboprop aircraft and the overhead storage space is physically a lot smaller than the larger aircraft, so the size may be an issue.

Sometimes, however, depending on the route being flown and how busy the flight is, the crew might just put the bag in an empty row of seats. The crew are normally good about doing that.

Enjoy your flight anyway.

How long for? Always cheaper to book online - not necessary, but I'd say 95% or more book online, difference about €4/€5 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Hi, am flying ryanair in a few days.
    When i booked my ticket it asked me did i want to take baggage...i said yes and paid more money...its now saying i have 15kg check in luggage...
    So is check in luggage the bag that goes in the planes belly, ?? Can i also take carry on?
    Never fly and am a bit green.. cheers

The answers to all your questions are in the following topic. ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100896229
    There is also a particularly excellent reply in the following link, even if I say so myself :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100896799&postcount=16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Til wednesday . so 4 days. Is quickpark a good option?

Try the price for the 4 days and if it's under €26 use the code NOVA or CINEMA to get 10%

The threads on discounts here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056884129&page=36

Anything over €30 and just add a few days to the booking to bring it up to €36, put in WOOF and it reduces to €26

All capitals for codes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Bit of a personal question about travel. I'm flying to Toronto in December with Aer Lingus on a 757. Bit worried about the size of the seat because since I travelled last I've put on 5 stone and I'm overweight due to medication. Anyone any experience on this plane and what the comfort is like on the seats?

I've booked an exit seat for more legroom but it won't give me any more width unfortunately. Only other option is to upgrade to Business Class for about 600-700 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

pilly wrote: »
    Bit of a personal question about travel. I'm flying to Toronto in December with Aer Lingus on a 757. Bit worried about the size of the seat because since I travelled last I've put on 5 stone and I'm overweight due to medication. Anyone any experience on this plane and what the comfort is like on the seats?

I've booked an exit seat for more legroom but it won't give me any more width unfortunately. Only other option is to upgrade to Business Class for about 600-700 more.

How much do weight? I've a friend who is about 18st and 5"5 and he is grand, I think. It's a little tight but not THAT tight. Extra legroom is more useful because of the increased risk of DVTs, make sure you're up and walking around regularly :).

I have flown on the EI 757s, I did not find them to be cramped at all, the passenger capacity of the 757 is less than the A320s? But it's a much larger aircraft and I found the seats absolutely fine, so I think you should be ok.
    One word of advice, if you feel you need the seatbelt extender, to make you more comfortable etc or if the regular seatbelt doesn't fit/ is not comfortable, please be aware that seatbelt extensions are not permitted in the emergency exit rows or in restricted seats by exits. Just something to be aware of when choosing a seat and to save you embarrassment onboard of being changed seats etc.

Thanks a million guys.

jackinthemix I'd be too embarrassed to give out my weight but I'm a little less than that and the same height so maybe I'll be okay. More worried about the poor person who has to sit next to me if I'm overflowing. :-)

Locker10a, I am a little bit worried about whether I'd have to get a seatbelt extension or not but my weight is mainly on top so I think I probably would get a normal seatbelt around under my stomach.

I'm gonna try lose weight but don't want to depend on it because it's extremely difficult with the medication. I seem to be putting on 2lb a week regardless of food or exercise levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Only other option is to upgrade to Business Class for about 600-700 more.

Seems like a great price if you can afford it and the 757 business class have now been upgraded to the same seats as on the A330's.

You're tempting me now maximum12, I could possibly splash out on it but would be thinking of what I could buy for that money. :-) I did ring the reservations line and ask the agent if the plane had been upgraded and she couldn't answer that question so I wasn't sure. Have they all definitely been upgraded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

You're tempting me now maximum12, I could possibly splash out on it but would be thinking of what I could buy for that money. :-) I did ring the reservations line and ask the agent if the plane had been upgraded and she couldn't answer that question so I wasn't sure. Have they all definitely been upgraded?

not sure. There's an Aer Lingus fleet thread. Someone on there will know for sure.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057383874

Advertisement