Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless its United, who force you to get off (with you cabin baggage) and re-queue for the same damn seat in the same priority order as before.

Former US Airways had quite a few flights with the same code through PHL or CLT to DUB; usually ones with actual non-stop flights from what I saw. Almost all involved a change of plane too.

Had a similar experience to what you outlined. Flying with SAS from OSL to LYR, landed at TOS. All non Norwegian passport holders had to disembark with hand luggage. Proceed into the terminal building, had our passports checked by local officials. Then had to queue up for a further check-in so as to re-board with different allocated seats.
    The whole thing took about 45 minutes and all we did was walk a circuit of about 300 metres from the steps of the plane, in one door of the Terminal building, out another and across the apron to the same plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Hi,

Quick question, is this flight operated as an Aer Lingus flight with branded plane and staff, etc?

Wife is nervous flying and will only go with AL so wanted to check before booking.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Its operated by ASL Airlines on behalf of Aer Lingus (EI). The aircraft will be a B757-200 in full EI livery & EI Cabin Crew. However, despite the livery, its not an EI plane and will have a sticker at the door advising of this. This is a legal requirement.

Also the flight crew will be ASL pilots and not EI

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

joe316 wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question, is this flight operated as an Aer Lingus flight with branded plane and staff, etc?

Wife is nervous flying and will only go with AL so wanted to check before booking.

Thanks,

It's a Boeing 757 operated in full Aer Lingus colours with Aer Lingus cabin crew.

The flight deck crew and aircraft are provided by ASL Airlines, another Irish airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

There's more than a few EI pilots flying the 757....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

MoeJay wrote: »

That's good to know, I wasn't aware.

Looking at your user name I know that I follow you on Twitter, keep up the good work. Although some of the food pics do make me a little jealous;)

Have a great day:D

MoeJay wrote: »
    Presumably on secondment to ASL?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Unless you examine it closely, it would be hard to tell the aircraft isn't owned by Aer Lingus.

You can go into an Aer Lingus 757 in Dublin on google street view!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4228752,-6.239553,3a,90y,189.38h,67.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swxrK-8soeCIAAAQvOsxvOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I just came back from Toronto on Aer Lingus and upgraded myself to business class at a cost of 300 euro each way and it was worth every penny have to say. The comfort, room and service were fantastic. Food was crap but I don't think airlines can do good food, just doesn't work, economy or business class. Really enjoyed the flights both ways and I think that's the first time I can say that on a long haul. Also the fact you can now download from Netflix before you fly meant I had a whole series to watch. Most enjoyable. Only one small complaint is that they kept asking if I wanted anything when I just wanted to chill and watch the tablet. Not an issue really in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Not sure whether this belongs here or the Travel form.

I'm booked on ET to LAX. I flew ET to & from ADD a while back and had exit row seats assigned, same seat for both flights. Was fine heading over, but coming back there was an equipment swap and I kept same seat number but it wasn't exit row. It was still operated by a B787.

Do ET have two different configurations on the B787? The seat map on their website is different from the seat map they provide when I'm selecting seats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Im going to answer "Yes" to your question. It's a sure thing that they have 2 different cabin configs for the B787.
    Could be that the vast majority of the fleet are of one type, hence the seat map. Or that the ADD-DUB-LAX is usually operated by one config, hence the seat map shown.
    But as this was an equipment change a 'static' resource like the company website would not be responsive to an operational issue.

Thats about all I can tell you. After that I would advise to talk to the airline themselves.

Tenger wrote: »
    Im going to answer "Yes" to your question. It's a sure thing that they have 2 different cabin configs for the B787.
    Could be that the vast majority of the fleet are of one type, hence the seat map. Or that the ADD-DUB-LAX is usually operated by one config, hence the seat map shown.
    But as this was an equipment change a 'static' resource like the company website would not be responsive to an operational issue.

Thats about all I can tell you. After that I would advise to talk to the airline themselves.

I'm more interested as to why they would have different configurations but the same number of economy and business seats. Seems like it would be a hassle.

Looking at some of their frames on planespotters, they seem to have leased in some of the B787s and these appeared they were meant for ANA. Do you know how accurate this would be? https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/Boeing/787/34498/ET-ATK-Ethiopian-Airlines

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm more interested as to why they would have different configurations .........
    Looking at some of their frames on planespotters, they seem to have leased in some of the B787s and these appeared they were meant for ANA. Do you know how accurate this would be? https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/Boeing/787/34498/ET-ATK-Ethiopian-Airlines
    airframes.org showing the sam info. Seems like thats the reason.
    Could be that ET loved the aircraft and decided they wanted more, and they decided to lease some in rather than wait for deliveries. Depending on the lease terms and duration there may be restrictions on changing cabin configs. Might not be worthwhile for the airline to do it either of it is only for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've booked a trip to LAX from Dublin with Aer Lingus. Flying over I've a two hour layover in SFO, will I need to collect my luggage, or will it go straight through? I'm only over for a couple of days, so it's a bit of a worry!

I've booked a trip to LAX from Dublin with Aer Lingus. Flying over I've a two hour layover in SFO, will I need to collect my luggage, or will it go straight through? I'm only over for a couple of days, so it's a bit of a worry!

If its booked on one ticket with United or JetBlue from SFO to LAX the bags will go straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Would any of the regular A&A users know if a 1 hr 20 min turnaround would be enough to make a connection in FRA (Frankfurt am Main) and MUC (Munich) going from Dublin to Frankfurt to Prague on a Fri lunchtime and from Prague to Munich to Dublin on Sunday lunchtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Would any of the regular A&A users know if a 1 hr 20 min turnaround would be enough to make a connection in FRA (Frankfurt am Main) and MUC (Munich) going from Dublin to Frankfurt to Prague on a Fri lunchtime and from Prague to Munich to Dublin on Sunday lunchtime?

do you have to change terminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Riskymove wrote: »
    do you have to change terminals?

Now that i dont know!

Im looking on Skyscanner and it doesnt mention anything about a terminal change (but i dont know if it would tell me that information??)

The flights are with Lufthansa/Lufthansa CityLine if that helps.

Appreciate the help, Ive only ever done point to point flights before so a total novice at this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I'd sit as close to the front of the plane as possible, if not the front row, to get off first. As Ireland is not a member of the Schengen area, flights arrive into gates with all other non-Schengen area passengers and you have to go through Passport Control. If it's not busy, it takes 5 seconds, however I've had to wait in a big line for over 15 minutes before.

Coming back from Prague, you don't have to do this, but you do have to pass through Passport Control before entering the gate area for your flight back to Ireland.

Lufthansa use Terminal 2 and flights to Ireland with Aer Lingus are Terminal 1. Changing terminals in Munich is quick. It's about a 5 minute walk from 1 to 2 and its well signposted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

lufthansa will generally wait for you a bit where they can.. I had a case where my flight from (short term memory loss, might have been Riga?) to FRA was delayed as I was traveling back to Dublin.. upon arrival in FRA, whilst disembarking the plane there was a lady standing there with a sign that says "Dublin" on it... I went to her and she took me out on apron, into the bus, we raced across the place, went through a deserted gate with a dedicated border guard who had a very short look on my passport and there I was - ready to board the Dublin flight within 5-7 minutes from leaving the other flight..

great service, but one thing they can't really do anything about is when you board the plane that's been there waiting on you and every single pax on the plane is looking at you as if you're some sort of prick who got lost while souvenir-shopping..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'm doing a similar trip in two weeks time, Dublin-Frankfurt-Naples and then Naples-Munich-Dublin; All is with Lufthansa (all Lufthansa own flights AFAIK) and with no terminals change (T1 in Frankfurt, T2 in Munich). Having respectively 2hrs and 1hr40 minutes, I guess I'm ok...do these airports have any "Flight Connections" facility or do they force you through security all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It is, brilliant! I'm used to flying alone, but it's the first time I'll have flown this far on my own, so nerves are already at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Lufthansa are generally very efficient in both FRA and MUC at transfers - Munich in particular is very easy. A lovely airport!

As others say you will have to do passport control from and before the Irish flights, but security I suspect depends on where you're coming from - I've transferred through both Munich and Zurich recently and not had another security check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

As my username would suggest (it's LXFlyer to avoid confusion), Zurich would be my #1 choice using SWISS, with Munich coming a close second.

With Lufthansa launching a second daily flight to Munich from Dublin next March it opens up a lot of opportunities.

Now all that's needed is a second later SWISS flight to/from Zurich to connect with long haul better.

Being able to book using the Lufthansa Group option means you can pick and choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Transferring Ireland to Germany to Elsewhere through Munich is a pain, but I had no issues doing Germany to Frankfurt to Dublin. Just passport control, no additional security check.

Zurich was great, flying with Swiss. Gates for connecting flights displayed on the plane about 30 minutes before landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Transferring Ireland to Germany to Elsewhere through Munich is a pain, but I had no issues doing Germany to Frankfurt to Dublin. Just passport control, no additional security check.

If flying Dublin-Frankfurt-Schengen (so including Naples) you have to go through security again. This is through a special connections route of course. You don't need to exit airside and re-enter it. The other way you do not.

VG31 wrote: »
    If flying Dublin-Frankfurt-Schengen (so including Naples) you have to go through security again. This is through a special connections route of course. You don't need to exit airside and re-enter it. The other way you do not.

Interestingly that has changed at Zurich when last I transited to a Schengen destination with SWISS - no additional security check coming from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Well I think I can trump that.

I flew back from Bilbao to Dublin via Frankfurt early one morning a few years back on Lufthansa with one of the tight 45 minute connections there. We arrived into Frankfurt, and my heart sank as we parked on a remote stand, then were bussed to the terminal, and then I went through the immigration (thankfully queueless for once) and security. I did have to run a bit to the gate, only to find that it was a bus transfer.

And yes, you've guessed it - we went all the way back out to the remote stands only for the aircraft to be the same one that I had just left with the same crew!

That's happened to me twice - the other time at Heathrow T1 in 1990 with BA flying from Venice to Dublin (again a bus transfer from the rear door, and sprint around the old T1 to the domestic & Irish pier (pre-gates 78-90) and then find myself back on the same aircraft!

Fairly slim chances given the size of both airlines' short haul fleets.

Advertisement