Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Doing my usual stint to SFO tomorrow but there's a huge storm due to hit the Bay Area today and particularly tomorrow.

What can I expect journey wise? 10.5 hours of roller coasters and rosary beads?

Out of curiosity is LAX the EI diversion airport for SFO? I think LA may be bracing for a similar storm. Worst case scenario would EI just use a JetBlue or United friendly airport in case of diversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Help needed on a query please,

Bringing the missus away for a well deserved break to celebrate her 40th birthday. Havent told her yet where we are going to and want to keep it secret as long as I can.

If I let her relax in the bar and have an aperitif can I check in both our bags and keep her in suspense a little longer or do we both have to be there. I can have her passport if needed and say that I packed the bag so no worries from that side.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

northknife wrote: »

Bringing the missus away for a well deserved break to celebrate her 40th birthday. Havent told her yet where we are going to and want to keep it secret as long as I can.

If I let her relax in the bar and have an aperitif can I check in both our bags and keep her in suspense a little longer or do we both have to be there. I can have her passport if needed and say that I packed the bag so no worries from that side.

Cheers.
    The only difficulty I envisage will be the requirement for ID at the check-in desk, as passenger's travelling with hold baggage have their ID checked in person.
    Now if you were to get away with only one piece of hold luggage which you could check-in at the desk "away from prying eyes" so to speak and say 2 pieces of cabin baggage which you can check-in on line. You could possibly maintain the rouse until the boarding gate.

However Despite your best intentions I feel you plans will be all in vain, as fella's can throw a few things in a bag and go, whereas the female of the species must plan strategically and have outfits and shoes for each and every possible occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

One person, one weight allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    One person, one weight allowance.

You can sometimes pay for extra bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is it not the same to have 2 cases under 1 name? Carry on luggage is never checked in until you arrive at the gate anyway if it is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah of course, I forgot about the airlines that still give you a check in baggage allowance as part of the fare!

VG31 wrote: »
    You can sometimes pay for extra bags.

I still reckon that your best bet, is to take your wife out to dinner some evening before you travel and present her with the tickets.
    Trust me years of experience dictate that women must plan for these events and they can often react badly to surprises involving travel and lack of preparedness in the wardrobe department. For a fella its grand just throw a few things in a bag and go! Women simply are not programmed that way, it's far more complicated :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

northknife wrote:

No afraid not, she has to be at check in.

If she has no bags to check?

If you've no bags you could check in online I suppose. How would a woman pack without knowing where she's going though? I would freak out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If I let her relax in the bar and have an aperitif can I check in both our bags and keep her in suspense a little longer or do we both have to be there. I can have her passport if needed and say that I packed the bag so no worries from that side

You wont be I'm afraid. Myself and Mrs Crash were flying to BHX last year to see family and I went to drop off the bags while she has a smoke outside. They made me go and get her as she had to be present with her passport.

Thanks for all the replies,

Its a long weekend in Dubai (4 nights) and the flight is direct with Emirates which has a 30kg allowance.

Now the decision is down to either tell her when we get to check in where we are going or keep the charade going for a little longer and cram everything in to one case.

Probably just go with our own cases and reveal destination at check in.

Its a long weekend in Dubai (4 nights) and the flight is direct with Emirates which has a 30kg allowance.

Now the decision is down to either tell her when we get to check in where we are going or keep the charade going for a little longer and cram everything in to one case.

Seriously bad move man, tell her beforehand you'll never hear the end of it otherwise!
    Dubai is not like a trip to Kilkenny for the weekend, women like to think they have the right outfit for each occasion when they travel, even if they don't wear them.

If you are stedfast in keeping with your surprise idea, be prepared to take a heavy dent to your credit card as she'll have to go shopping for clothes when she gets there.

I have done similar before and just informed her of the destination at the airport. I would have packed her case on those occasions.

I was just tring to keep the suspense going just a little bit longer this time but not to worry.

I suppose I could just do the same again and plan the first day there in the big shopping mall. pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

my god, this thread is like watching someone holding a cigarette lighter next to a fuel line to warm it up a bit and get rid of the ice.. and everyone around you is like "don't do it man, she's gonna blow", and you're like, "nah, she'll be grand, I've done it before, therefore it's safe"... :D

if you must.. don't forget to pack something to cover shoulders and ankles.. not that Dubai is very conservative, but still, it will provide options, in case she suddenly feels insecure

I have done similar before and just informed her of the destination at the airport. I would have packed her case on those occasions.

I was just tring to keep the suspense going just a little bit longer this time but not to worry.

I suppose I could just do the same again and plan the first day there in the big shopping mall. pacman.gif
    YOUR WIFE LETS YOU PACK HER SUITCASE!!!

I will now retreat to a quite darkened corner and mutter to myself, this is not normal, this not normal, this not normal. Whilst bagging my head off the nearest solid wall. :confused: :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Pat Dunne wrote:

I'm caught between "Seriously???" & "Mucho respect ". Not that I'd ever even consider it , mind.

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote:
    OK, this gets curiouser and curiouser

What's curious? Don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The problem is that (most if not not all) women will regard that allowance as a target. I like the idea of a surprise, but know for certain that in my case, there would be a lot of picture and not a lot of sound for the first day. It would be grand of course but not before she made her point. Tell her.

It is hard to know what is worse.......

Trawling through somebodies previous posts to see what they have written or packing a bag for the missus when going on a trip away
    tongue.png

I will now retreat to a quite darkened corner and mutter to myself, this is not normal, this not normal, this not normal. Whilst bagging my head off the nearest solid wall. :confused: :eek: :(

The previous time I did this that stands out was when we were getting engaged. I packed her suitcase.
    About 12 pairs of shoes,
    About 10 pairs of Jeans/Trousers
    About 10 Handbags
    About 10 Tops
    a selection of underware and toiletries and between the two peices of luggage managed to get all in.

It was only a three night break?!"$%^ redface.png

The previous time I did this that stands out was when we were getting engaged. I packed her suitcase.
    About 12 pairs of shoes,
    About 10 pairs of Jeans/Trousers
    About 10 Handbags
    About 10 Tops
    a selection of underware and toiletries and between the two peices of luggage managed to get all in.

It was only a three night break?!"$%^ redface.png

And you managed to co-ordinate everything, I stand in awe! :D

The way I look at it,

I fill her bag well and she is happy when we get there then....
    she empties my bag when we get there smile.png

Its a WIN WIN situation
    biggrin.png

I think we should just leave it at that for now.
    biggrin.png
    pacman.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't get all the lads saying omg don't pack the missus suitcase blah blah blah... I'd let my husband pack my bags for a surprise no problem. I'm sure he has some semblance of what she wears out for occasions such as dinners, night clubs, shows etc?

Advertisement