Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I know I frequent this forum Alot but believe it or not I don't fly that much, so looking for advice from you guys in the know.

The missus and myself want to visit New York the 1st or 2nd week of December. The current aer lingus sale only covers flight up until October. Question is am I better off booking flights now or wait for another sale/offer? AL seem to be coming in the cheapest direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Delta are pricing in around €324 direct in early December. Can't see it getting much cheaper than.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jimbis wrote: »
    I know I frequent this forum Alot but believe it or not I don't fly that much, so looking for advice from you guys in the know.

The missus and myself want to visit New York the 1st or 2nd week of December. The current aer lingus sale only covers flight up until October. Question is am I better off booking flights now or wait for another sale/offer? AL seem to be coming in the cheapest direct.
    This is always a gamble, it may well come down in price, but then again that may be a busy time for Xmas trips to NY, so flights may fill up. If its a reasonable price then id probably book now! At least you'd have that out of the way !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I'd say the opposite. Dollar rate is the pits and could get worse, in which case there will be no NY shopping trips. America ain't cheap, bad exchange rate makes it worse. I have (too often) booked early only to find flights decrease closer to the date, doesn't always happen but when it does you feel mugged. Hedge your bets if you are uncertain and book the return leg now, as Locker10a says it's a gamble, this way you have half the cost out of the way. (If I do book early now it's always the return leg I book, not the outward one, no real reason but at least that way you are guaranteed a seat home :))

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

http://m.standardspeaker.com/opinion/sky-s-the-limit-for-airport-growth-1.2141573

"Aer Lingus, the Irish carrier, began service last fall between Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Connecticut and Shannon International Airport — a major European gateway."

I wouldn't be surprised if this journalist assumed Dublin and Shannon were the same airport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

When searching on skyscanner put in nyc as destination. I think that this also includes Newark ( EWR ) which is almost Manhattan if that is where you are staying. Aer Lingus fly there now as well but not sure of the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Get along to this if you can, you might pick up a bargain or get some further information on things to do while there.

http://www.holidayworldshow.com/exhibitor-a-z/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

JCX BXC wrote: »
    http://m.standardspeaker.com/opinion/sky-s-the-limit-for-airport-growth-1.2141573

"Aer Lingus, the Irish carrier, began service last fall between Bradley International Airport in Hartford, Connecticut and Shannon International Airport — a major European gateway."

I wouldn't be surprised if this journalist assumed Dublin and Shannon were the same airport!

I wouldnt be surprised if the journalist got mixed up (as happens) and happened to google "Aer Lingus new routes", and found a webpage that called Shannon "a major European gateway".

As we have come to expect as watchers of aviation, dont put your faith in the media to get things correct, and dont get too upset when they make mistakes. This reporter may never have heard of Aer Lingus or even Dublin and Shannon before being handed this brief.
    Im sure other hobbyists suffer the same ignorance in their own arcane and mystical areas.

Not that I'm getting upset, I appreciated the irony of calling Shannon a major European gateways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Really appreciate all the advice guys, thanks. Gonna book within the next week or so. Most likely with Aer lingus (a330), so hit me with the best seats :D.

• Advertisement

Really appreciate all the advice guys, thanks. Gonna book within the next week or so. Most likely with Aer lingus (a330), so hit me with the best seats :D.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Aer_Lingus/Aer_Lingus_Airbus_A330-200.php

Aer Lingus let you choose regular seats for free on transatlantic. If your on the A330, and there are two of you then I'd go for any of the "two" seats as the cabin in economy is lates out with two aisles and seats in the order 2-4-2 . Grabbing a 2 seats means you'll have access to a windo and an aisle

I have a upcoming flight to Faro and both legs are with AL. There is no way I'm going to give them €8 for a seat - with the result I can't check in until within30 hours. (RY are nearly as bad now with their 4 day check in- think EJ are still 30 days)No problem with the outward leg. Unlikely I will have access to a printer for the return, so I intended using mobile check in, but AL website says that mobile check in isn't available at Faro. Now I positively know it's available with EasyJet, nearly sure it's available with RY, so is the problem with the AL check in or is has the website not been updated? I know I can queue up and get a boarding pass but that's just ridiculous.

Does EI have the check in machines at Faro Airport?

From the AL website

Use your mobile boarding pass in all airports within Europe except:
    Agadir, Doncaster, Donegal and Faro

Last time I looked Agadir wasn't in Europe :), Donegal I understand, Doncaster Sheffield I would have thought would be ok but shocked at Faro. It's just to get airside isn't it? And Faro have electronic scanners like everywhere else.

From trip advisor, so I am not alone,

1. Re: Ryanair mobile boarding pass
    24 July 2016, 13:25
    Yes faro airport can I use it all the time

Also trip advisor

24 July 2016, 13:31
    Interesting you should ask this... I am flying home with aer lingus from faro to Belfast and got an email advising me to print the boarding pass because faro doesn't have facilities for mobile boarding passes. I'm going to print them just to be on the safe side.

Doesn't appear to be too 'smart' to me.

I'll just queue up. :( (There is no way I am going to buy a seat on a half empty aircraft just because because they can't get their act together)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Does EI have the check in machines at Faro Airport?

No, but neither do EJ or RY (or other airline)

Electronic scan before security. TBH I just don't think AL are aware of this.

From Faro airport

https://www.aeroportofaro.pt/en/fao/passenger-guide/plan-your-trip/check-in

(United States and Switzerland 24 hours for check in :D)

joeysoap wrote: »
    From the AL website

Use your mobile boarding pass in all airports within Europe except:
    Agadir, Doncaster, Donegal and Faro

Last time I looked Agadir wasn't in Europe :), Donegal I understand, Doncaster Sheffield I would have thought would be ok but shocked at Faro. It's just to get airside isn't it? And Faro have electronic scanners like everywhere else.

From trip advisor, so I am not alone,

1. Re: Ryanair mobile boarding pass
    24 July 2016, 13:25
    Yes faro airport can I use it all the time

Also trip advisor

24 July 2016, 13:31
    Interesting you should ask this... I am flying home with aer lingus from faro to Belfast and got an email advising me to print the boarding pass because faro doesn't have facilities for mobile boarding passes. I'm going to print them just to be on the safe side.

Doesn't appear to be too 'smart' to me.

I'll just queue up. :( (There is no way I am going to buy a seat on a half empty aircraft just because because they can't get their act together)

If I was you I'd still check in the 30hrs before and select the free seat. Turn up to the airport, Mobile boarding pass ready to go, approach security and ask a member of staff if it's ok to use (don't mention what the EI website says) just play dumb!
    Worst case scanario you're turned away and have to go to the desk! But the benefit of this is at the desk they will only be "reprinting" your boarding passes, and thus you will still have the seats you selected.
    If the EI mobile app simply doesn't allow you check in for FAO at all, then proceed on their main website checkin, select seat, and just print from the desk, again requesting a "reprint" from airport staff.
    I've done this many times with no issues and take about 30 seconds at the desk

Thanks Locker10a, will do that, good advice, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Baggage handling question, guys.

I'm flying to Naples from Dublin with Lufthansa on Saturday, very early morning flight (5.30) made of two legs: Dublin to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Naples; The return flight is going to be Naples - Munich - Dublin. There are 2 hours break on the outbound leg, 1h 40 minutes on the return one.

I do have hold baggage allowance and it'd be good to take advantage of that, as LH's carry on rules state a maximum of 8Kg and I need to be bringing my heavy-arse laptop with me (older 17" model), but I have no idea how likely it is that it's going to make it with me to destination or not. I would also assume that, being flight connections with the same airline and part of the same booking (I did a direct Dublin-Naples reservation and the website gave me the connections), I wouldn't need to handle the transfer myself - not having to pick up the suitcase in Frankfurt and check it back in, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

This is in no way a guarantee but I've had a number of short connections through Frankfurt and Munich with Lufthansa and never had a problem with checked luggage turning up at my destination. The shortest I recall was just 65mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

Just out of interest with the Ryanair automated seat assignment, why does the system leave rows 31 and 32 till last to be filled, even assigning the premium front seats and exit rows before filling 31/32?

Wrex wrote: »
    Just out of interest with the Ryanair automated seat assignment, why does the system leave rows 31 and 32 till last to be filled, even assigning the premium front seats and exit rows before filling 31/32?

I assume it's something to do with weight spread.

Wrex wrote: »

I don't know how accurate this, I flew RY before Christmas, it was 4 day return so I left check in until morning of the outward leg, I got an aisle seat, think it was 26C (could have been 24C) and the return seat was 33A. Normally I would hate this seat, but it was December, it was dark, it was cold and I just wanted to get home, so I didn't care. Turns out a lovely young couple were allocated 33B and 33c. They were visiting Dublin for the first time, took photos boarding, taking off, landing etc. (I offered them the window for landing when I saw how enthusiastic they were)It was a surprisingly pleasant flight.

http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.com/2014/04/how-to-get-a-free-seat-on-ryanair/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

This post has been deleted.

Hold on - do they allow the "personal item" (e.g. laptop bag, women's handbag) as well as the "carry on"? From their site it seems to be a "1 item only" policy - although it passingly mentions in one single specific page in a "you can also carry" section.

If that's the case, then no issue whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

there's a 777-200er that was in Dublin yesterday which is now doing the EWR - HKG route, it's about to land , the reg is N78005 , as far as I'm aware the 772er has a range of 7000 miles yet that route is 8000 miles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

cuterob wrote: »
    there's a 777-200er that was in Dublin yesterday which is now doing the EWR - HKG route, it's about to land , the reg is N78005 , as far as I'm aware the 772er has a range of 7000 miles yet that route is 8000 miles ?

The 772ER is quoted at a range of 13,080 KM, with the route EWR-HKG is approx 13,000. It's pushing the range limits, but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

cuterob wrote: »

There was actually a thread on another aviation forum recently regarding this very thing. Every airline has different specs on their fleet, and there may well be a payload restriction further increasing range.

Additionally, the route is only 7,009 nm and the published range for the 77E is 7,065 nm. Take into account differing cabin specs, and a payload hit and its easily reachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Google told me 8000 miles , those liars, ya prob different spec alright or cargo reduction to give it that extra cushion to be within safe operating limits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Different versions of the 777 have different maximum takeoff weights.

Advertisement